+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti vibration for 8" grinder?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anti vibration for 8" grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I use the single point diamond dressers myself... never liked the bar type like you posted...

But like all the dressers you must make sure it is not moving in/out when you use them!!! at least if you want a nice true finish
    Attachment 1719834
    Same type I use, and with the same cautions.

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a better pic. of the Huntington style dressers. They have a few other styles as well.

http://desmond-stephan.com/index.php...ngton-dressers

https://www.desmond-stephan.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Did you also use your dial indicator on the motor shaft? If the grinder got knocked over at some point in it's life, then the shaft may be bent.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

I got the difference down to .007 from almost .030. I found the low spot, marked it on the side, then vice gripped my dresser to the rest so it barely touched the highest spot. Ran the grinder until that was gone and worked my way down. The hose clamp wasn't near precise enough and although it rode on the edge of the rest that wasn't enough to keep it from following the high/low points and it would be completely impossible manually, at least for me. Vice grips did it.

In order to get that down to next to nothing, I might have to have a jig where I could incrementally dial the dresser in. It's too hard to take a high spot out unless you have some way to lock the dresser down so it won't follow the contour. It's also tricky to tweak it closer without getting it too close while keeping it locked down unless you have some kind of dialing jig.

Sometimes in the process I got it a hair too close to a high section and the motor startup wasn't strong enough to get it going so I had to help it manually until that spot ground down enough after a few revolutions. There's still some vibration which I'd like to figure out, but the grinder is useable now.

I have one of those dressers with wheels and have used it on another grinder. It's OK for cleaning out the grit, removing grooves and taking a bevel out of the face but IMO completely worthless for truing a high spot out of the face. Not very precise.

If I get bored this winter and need a project, I might try to make one of those jigs. I've seen one for the diamond point dressers but it and that dresser are probably more than I ought to spend for intermittent use.

PS. I will try the dial indicator on the shaft, both sides. The wire wheel is a Weiler Vortec and has a little vibration to it but there's not much can be done other than rotating it.
    Last edited by JD1; 11-24-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a shaft collar to set my depth on the round dressing nubs. Gives you quite a bit more bearing surface against the tool rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    Nvm??
    NVM = Never Mind
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm done.

1) Got the runout down to .003

2) Accidentally found that even at that, the wheel has a heavy side.

3) Small vibration with the Weiler wire wheel plus the heavy side of the grinding wheel was combining to aggravate the overall vibration.

4) Rotated the grinding wheel in 1/8 increments and found a spot that mostly offset the Weiler wheel. The Weiler wheel was already rotated to it's best position.

5) No runout in the shaft. No vibration at all when the motor ran by itself.

Some rubber washers and a rubber mat and it's good until I have to replace the grinding wheel. I'll look for a better grade then.

9. Likes whtbaron, bead-boy liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist