Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying out nr232

Post Thanks / Like

Trying out nr232

I'm using nr232 .072 for the first time. Started by putting some D-rings on a trailer. Playing around I went as low as 130 amps and settled on 240 amps (about 20 volts and 150 wfs) for the D-rings. The wire can definitely burn thru steel. Slag comes off clean and the spatter is minimal and easy to knock off. The fumes are gross and so is the slag. Has a hammered-forged look to the weld.

The big question I have is: How the heck do you see the puddle under that thick nasty slag? It's like a guessing game.

Name:  20201121_134226.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  51.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying out nr232

I've never run it, but the finished weld kind looks like 7024.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

3. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've burned a little NR232 in the past. I thought NR211 has worse smoke and fumes. A Lincoln rep. who ran the independent Lincoln demo room tried to tell me that the white "clouds" floating in the air were like milk and not harmful at all. LoL! Watch the puddle and not the slag just like when burning 7024 stick. NR232 is a little weird because it doesn't have the typical ripples in the bead like other rods or wires.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, no worm tracks.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I've burned a little NR232 in the past. I thought NR211 has worse smoke and fumes. A Lincoln rep. who ran the independent Lincoln demo room tried to tell me that the white "clouds" floating in the air were like milk and not harmful at all. LoL! Watch the puddle and not the slag just like when burning 7024 stick. NR232 is a little weird because it doesn't have the typical ripples in the bead like other rods or wires.
    I always focus on the puddle but with this wire only the edge of the puddle can be seen as the slag tries closing up on me. I used the wire on the slag like a hose spraying mud off the driveway uphill. The problem was seeing the toes of the puddle, it was hard to tell when to move along without seeing the edges of the puddle. For me anyway... Overhead was harder for me to judge when the weld was full of metal instead of just slag, vertical was a breeze (maybe gravity helps keep the slag back just a bit more) although it seemed easier to start gouging thru with vertical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I've never run it, but the finished weld kind looks like 7024.
    I've never run 7024 and will have to try it out. Guess I just never wanted electrodes that wouldn't work in all positions.

Post Thanks / Like

i watch the slag w/ that wire as much, if not more than the puddle. the slag sorta tells the story on whats happening. chip most the slag off befroe wire wheel it. if u wire wheel the slag itself, breathing it will almost make me drop to my knees

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used NR 232 and 233 a lot, mostly 233 lately its a bit less expensive and they say its a bit more user friendly...I dont see much difference in either of them. Yeah the slag is heavy and a bit of a bear to see the puddle with all the smoke and slag but as you get more time with it just like riding a bicycle. I know the 233 wire works fine for the heavy mining machinery I work on...Ive welded broken dragline bases and lips put new lips on draglines and huge excavator buckets, moldboards on dozer blades and tons and tons of wear plates on these buckets as well, and it all stays put like it supposed to. The 232 is a wee bit stronger but not much to be concerned about. Have fun with it, once you have it all figured out you probly will never get another bottle of gas for dual shield wire again.
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 5 Days Ago at 10:51 AM.

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be interesting to see a cost comparison between using NR232 and Dual-Shield. Dual-Shield wire is less expensive but then you need shielding gas. NR232 is quite a bit more expensive but doesn't need shielding gas. Not sure I'd want to run much NR 232 (or any Innershield) in a shop without a fume extractor. It's nasty for fumes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Would be interesting to see a cost comparison between using NR232 and Dual-Shield. Dual-Shield wire is less expensive but then you need shielding gas. NR232 is quite a bit more expensive but doesn't need shielding gas. Not sure I'd want to run much NR 232 (or any Innershield) in a shop without a fume extractor. It's nasty for fumes.
    That stuff is smoky, but Im outside 99% of the time anyway in the wind. Bein as how I dont have to cut out a bunch of swiss cheese in the wind is a cost saving measure there. These other fellas I work with on occasion are always grinding it out and messing with their wind screens while Im just happily welding away. Then throw in they are running a lot more gas outside as compared to what they run it in a shop they are blowin a lot of gas away. I dont need to worry about a hose getting cut, do I have enough gas to get me through the day and so on, so it works for me. I hate messing with bottles its the only thing I never liked about this busness

As for cost comparison Im no accountant, I just know what been workin for me the past 30 - 40 years.

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Played around more and built a stock rack out of left overs. I can get wormy with this wire. And once the slag starts into swirling i have trouble stopping it. Voltage and stickout seems pretty touchy.

Name:  20201128_074252.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  20201128_074240.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  20201128_074230.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  106.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Ive used NR 232 and 233 a lot, mostly 233 lately its a bit less expensive and they say its a bit more user friendly...I dont see much difference in either of them. Yeah the slag is heavy and a bit of a bear to see the puddle with all the smoke and slag but as you get more time with it just like riding a bicycle. I know the 233 wire works fine for the heavy mining machinery I work on...Ive welded broken dragline bases and lips put new lips on draglines and huge excavator buckets, moldboards on dozer blades and tons and tons of wear plates on these buckets as well, and it all stays put like it supposed to. The 232 is a wee bit stronger but not much to be concerned about. Have fun with it, once you have it all figured out you probly will never get another bottle of gas for dual shield wire again.
    i buy 233 in 1/16, cuz thats the smallest dia of wire i know to get a t-8 wire in. smallest 232 is .068, but theres something about that mix, that i dont always do well w/, and im not superstitious. i like .072 in 232 though, and what i like about 232, is that it feeds nicer than 233,because its physically/noticably stiffer wire. but yes, i find 233 a bit more forgiving/easier

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i buy 233 in 1/16, cuz thats the smallest dia of wire i know to get a t-8 wire in. smallest 232 is .068, but theres something about that mix, that i dont always do well w/, and im not superstitious. i like .072 in 232 though, and what i like about 232, is that it feeds nicer than 233,because its physically/noticably stiffer wire. but yes, i find 233 a bit more forgiving/easier
    To be honest I never noticed much difference between 233 and 232 except for price

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first experience with either. I picked 232 because i heard 233 was easier; figured if i got 232 down then 233 would be a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbarasing View Post
    This is my first experience with either. I picked 232 because i heard 233 was easier; figured if i got 232 down then 233 would be a breeze.
    Well lookin at that weld on the rack you did it seems to me you got it goin on there. I dont know what you mean by wormy but thats there is a damn nice lookin weld, I may have to look you up and get some lessons

20. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well lookin at that weld on the rack you did it seems to me you got it goin on there. I dont know what you mean by wormy but thats there is a damn nice lookin weld, I may have to look you up and get some lessons
    I get pictures of my worm tracks tomorrow. The welds look good but there is surface porosity. I think my voltage was too high or i kept getting to close.

Post Thanks / Like

I get pictures of my worm tracks tomorrow. The welds look good but there is surface porosity. I think my voltage was too high or i kept getting to close.

Ok now I understand...either turn up your wire speed a bit or your voltage down a bit...happens with 233 and 232 wire a lot....if it aint deep its wont hurt nothin but it dont look pretty

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why use nr232 wire?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Why use nr232 wire?

Dave
    Because he wants to. He wants to learn it I suppose

26. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I arched a video about this wire and one if the things for worm tracks was too close. Stay 3/4” to 1” stickout.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

It just odd wire (E71T-8) to see here.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Why use nr232 wire?

Dave
    I have just started using wire after years of stick. Mainly because I have an indoor place to weld now.

So I bought a solid wire, dual shield, and flux core. Nr232 was the flux core I bought and set it up in a LN25. I use 7018 in the field and figured if i wanted to take wire to the field, nr232 may be the one. I like it so far.

Built this rack like i did mainly to practice 232 wire (and to clear material off a trailer so i can use it again.)
    Last edited by mbarasing; 2 Days Ago at 06:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Ok now I understand...either turn up your wire speed a bit or your voltage down a bit...happens with 233 and 232 wire a lot....if it aint deep its wont hurt nothin but it dont look pretty
    Wormy

Name:  20201129_070610.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  220.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

At time for my shop welding I used 0.052 E71T-1 with CO2.
    I can see why you pick the wire it is good wire.

Dave

Data from Lincoln
    For semi-automatic out-of-position welding, E71T-1 wires offer unsurpassed performance. Its fast freezing rutile slag provides the highest deposition rates in the vertical-up position, up to 7 pounds per hour, unmatched by any other semi-automatic arc welding process. In addition, the E71T-1 wires also offer an exceptionally smooth welding arc and minimal spatter, even with 100% carbon dioxide shielding gas. Argon/carbon dioxide blends are used for the smoothest arc and best out-of-position performance. These are reasons why E71T-1 is the world's most popular flux-cored wire. It is a top choice for shipbuilding, structural steel, and general steel fabrication applications.

For semi-automatic out-of-position welding without shielding gas, E71T-8 wires offer the highest deposition rates. Lincoln Electric's NR®-232 can deposit 4.5 lbs./hr. in the vertical-up position, 50% faster than other E71T-8 wires. Since this wire is self-shielded, it is widely used outdoors and in field erection of structural steel.
    I have just started using wire after years of stick. Mainly because I have an indoor place to weld now.

So I bought a solid wire, dual shield, and flux core. Nr232 was the flux core I bought and set it up in a LN25. I use 7018 in the field and figured if i wanted to take wire to the field, nr232 may be the one. I like it so far.

Built this rack like i did mainly to practice 232 wire (and to clear material off a trailer so i can use it again.)
    Last edited by smithdoor; 2 Days Ago at 01:32 PM.