+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lincoln Aspect 230 vs Aspect 375

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln Aspect 230 vs Aspect 375

Ok, I need the TIG pros to speak up.

The 230 is capable of 230amps with an input of 230v 1Ph.

The 375 is capable of 250 amps with an input of 230v 1ph.

Here is what I currently believe: If I am welding something thicker than 1/4”, am I really gonna need all the arc characteristics that I would need at less thickness? Because when I am welding thick aluminum, a regular old 60hz AC is all I have ever needed. No pulse, no 400hz, nothing.

So unless I have 3ph, I would only be getting 20more amps for twice the price.

I already have a heavy duty transformer TIG unit with 375 amps.

What say you?
    Lincoln Power Mig 210MP MIG
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln TIG 300-300
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v Thanks JLAMES
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    My brain

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln Aspect 230 vs Aspect 375

350A on 1-Φ 240V, 50A breaker.

The advantage you get from a modern inverter TIG is added control. The extra features and adjustability may help you tailor the arc, but also the effect on the tungsten. Takes time to learn it all, and then to figure out when to use it, but it's like a modern 2020 model year car vs something from the 1920's. Both can get you from A to B, but the 2020 model year car/truck will have have added control that will let you do things the 1920 model year vehicle can't even dream of.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Oscar, thanks for the reply.
    It doesn’t answer my question though.
    What controls are you using if you are up at 350amps AC? Are you able to run 400hz at 350amps? Why would you?

I recently sold my PrecisionTig 275 with advanced control panel. It had most options except for being stuck at 60hz.

Post Thanks / Like

230 amps is well enough to weld 1/4" aluminium anyway.

Like you imagine, on 1/4" thickness, you're gonna be on a basic setting, 50-60hz with 30% balance, no pulse or anything. You don't need fancy.

where the Aspect will come into its own is on outside corner welds, and thinner materials at 1/8" and under...the extra control of adjustable frequency, arc stability and pulse if you need it.

If you're keeping the big 375amp transformer, then IMO you have no need of the bigger Aspect. It's a lot of money to pay for a machine that is severely limited on single phase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joker11 View Post
    Oscar, thanks for the reply.
    It doesn’t answer my question though.
    What controls are you using if you are up at 350amps AC? Are you able to run 400hz at 350amps? Why would you?

I recently sold my PrecisionTig 275 with advanced control panel. It had most options except for being stuck at 60hz.
    Perhaps not 400Hz as it is counter-productive at that amperage range and actually reduces heat input (mine is limited to 200Hz above 99A), but the other waveforms have different arc characteristics, as does independent amplitude control that can preserve the tip of the tungsten when the settings are correct, aka one can limit the ball that normally forms in order to help retain the sharp tip. These added controls can also help control/limit the cleaning band/etching zone outside of the weld bead for better aesthetics.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Perhaps not 400Hz as it is counter-productive at that amperage range and actually reduces heat input (mine is limited to 200Hz above 99A), but the other waveforms have different arc characteristics, as does independent amplitude control that can preserve the tip of the tungsten when the settings are correct, aka one can limit the ball that normally forms in order to help retain the sharp tip. These added controls can also help control/limit the cleaning band/etching zone outside of the weld bead for better aesthetics.
    Miller Dynastys are not limited to freq in any amperage. Could be a Miller characteristic but cleaning action with high DCEP and low DCEN does not come alive until 250 amps, and superior wetting is achieved at 400 htz. Another bright spot with Dynastys is default programming that can be cold start reset it the parameters are adjusted way out of wack.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

So unless I have 3ph, I would only be getting 20more amps for twice the price.
    If you don't have 3 phase, don't bother. I personally believe you are correct in your assumption that higher AC frequency, independent EN/EP balance, pulse, etc. is really going to be a lot more benefit on thin materials, and even then I would question how much value all of these features really add for the average user. After watching Zap weld aluminum of all thicknesses on a Miller 330AB/p, I am thinking 99% of us could easily get by without the bells and whistles. The only person on here that I have seen make really good use of these feature is Mike Zanconato (aka Zank). Consider this: Jody at weldingtipsandtricks had Mike on as a guest to explain how he uses independent EN/EP and waveforms in making his bike frames. That means these features are esoteric enough that Jody really doesn't use them.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

We had one and yes, you only get 20 more amps on single phase. It was not that user friendly. Opinion of three different welders that ran it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the 230. Hasn't arrived yet and I'm a beginner tig welder so can't give advice that way. Only thing I really want to add is the 375 seems like a huge waste on single phase. Way too much for an extra 20 amps, not sure why Lincoln couldn't have figured out how to get 375 on single phase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nick121 View Post
    I just ordered the 230. Hasn't arrived yet and I'm a beginner tig welder so can't give advice that way. Only thing I really want to add is the 375 seems like a huge waste on single phase. Way too much for an extra 20 amps, not sure why Lincoln couldn't have figured out how to get 375 on single phase.
    Must be a European voltage grid thing being different than US. Being made in Poland, the Aspect 375 probably had to make some compromises.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

11. Likes nick121 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah could be, It just seems they could update it to output full power on single phase for north american customers. See you have a Cobramig 260 in your sig line.. don't see too many around here, we have 2 cobramig 250s still, not used in quite a few years but hopefully run them again soon.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a pretty hard thing to ask an inverter to run that many amps on single phase, or lower voltage. And probably cheaper to build a 3 phase 400v machine since it needs a fraction of input current.

and yes 3 phase 415v is relatively well distributed in Europe.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist