+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unable to get consistent slag cover - Flux Core

Post Thanks / Like

Unable to get consistent slag cover - Flux Core

Equipment: Lincoln Electric MigPak 140
    Polarity: DCEN
    Wire: NR-211-MP
    Settings: Have tried various settings, drag, angle, travel speed

I've been welding as a hobbyist for couple months now in my own garage, started out with a 2 hour MIG class at a community center then started doing both flux core and stick. I find flux core the most challenging, harder to see the puddle(dark) and the beads don't look as good. With 3/32 stick, I can see the orange puddle real nicely and the slag chips off very nicely as well.

The problem that I'm having with flux core is slag coverage, I think it happens all the time when I'm welding in a flat horizontal position just running beads. As you can see from the pictures below, the top part of the bead is bare of slag. I've watched the Lincoln's FCAW troubleshooting video and have tried adjusting wire speed, travel speed, and CTWD - no matter what I do, I just can't get full slag coverage.

But then I noticed after watching Miller's official video on flux core welding, it appears to have the same issue in Horizontal(Picture 3), any suggestions? Is it just nature of flux core welding?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unable to get consistent slag cover - Flux Core

Slow down your travel speed a little. The toes of your bead should wash into the base metal better
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Did more welding today. Same result it’s only happening on flat horizontal beads like that. Did few t-joints and got perfect slag coverage. I’ve seen a few old posts on here about the same thing, maybe it’s a wire thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about slag more than the weld. I agree that you need to slow down or crank up the wire to fill the cut better. Do right by the weld and the slag will do it's job.

I'm no professional but I did learn to weld on a lincoln 110v wire feed and 211 fluxcore. I used 045 wire but probably should have used 035. I turned the machine to high setting (D on mine) and set the wire feed speed as high as the machine could handle. You'll still need to manipulate the gun to put enough heat into the work. "C's" or circles, weave or stich, do something to pour heat into the edges and get enough fill into the weld.

I made BBQ pits, tools, repaired equipment, and even made a coupler to tow a jeep across the state with that thing. Damn did I hate its duty cycle!
    Last edited by mbarasing; 11-28-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    Slow down your travel speed a little.
    get a lil thicker workpiece and try it on same settings (as ur current puddles might be too hot) , and maybe slower like snow says. if no improve, try turn wire speed up on the flats

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist