+ Reply to Thread

Thread: converter dry ice to co2

Post Thanks / Like

converter dry ice to co2

I have seen any converter dry ice to co2
    Dry Ice cost only cost from Wal-Mart and Kroger sells small retail amounts for $1.30 per pound.
    Back early 1960's I a converter for CO2.

Does any use dry ice for welding?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: converter dry ice to co2

Huh?
    Your posts never make sense....do you type with your toes?

3. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I forget to prof read and using a phone with small keyboard and big fingers.

Basically no one talk about using dry ice for welding.
    They try using a very small bottle used for paint guns.

I do see anyone taking about using balloon gas for welding aluminum

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Huh?
    Your posts never make sense....do you type with your toes?

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong but I believe balloon gas (helium) is a lower grade (less pure) than that required for quality welding.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    I could be wrong but I believe balloon gas (helium) is a lower grade (less pure) than that required for quality welding.
    Yes, 25% air. Not only for cost reduction but safety from asphyxiation.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

8. Likes ronsii, thegary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like retailer industry

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Yes, 25% air. Not only for cost reduction but safety from asphyxiation.

Post Thanks / Like

Welding grade gas has to be the most pure. Balloons don't care.

Post Thanks / Like

Just refilled my 20lb CO2 tank on saturday. Wondering if CO2 and or Dry Ice , or maybe Liquid Nitrogen might get scarce if needed for transporting vaccines . My cost for 20lb of CO2 was $25.00(Last month I only paid $20.00) and is easily transferred to other containers, only 2 local places have dry ice, and one of them is my welding gas supplier. I've seen several videos of people refilling soda stream, and keg carbonators with Dry Ice. Seems like an awful to of work, but I guess if you really need too.

I was trying out my CO2 for welding last week, and noticed on bigger jobs my flow would go down after about 20 minutes of welding. Regulator is marked for AR/CO2, it has a dial gauge not a flow meter. Maybe my setting is too high,don't know. Went back to AR/CO2 gauge flow seemed fine.
    Ran out of .030" 70-s6 wire recently, and while getting CO2 I grabbed a 10lb roll of blue demon for $20.95. Seemed like a pretty good price

Never understood why the helium balloon thing became so popular, especially the Metallized Mylar bag. Its almost the same thing a (electrolytic) capacitor is made out of, then filled with inert(mostly) gas. What do you suppose happens when it lands/gets stuck on a high voltage line ?
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Using dry ice as a welding shielding gas would be kind of tough. You would have to capture the CO2 as the dry ice sublimates and then figure out how to get it to the weld.
    If anything is added to balloon helium it would be nitrogen simply to save on helium. Industrial grade and balloon helium will work for welding when the use is not stated and the customer is given balloon helium.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it waste to make helium balloons.
    But if run out CO2 over a weekend and your work not spec dry ice may work.

I use E71T-11 for welding that does not use gas.

I seen on internet where some use a 2.11cf [60liter] of helium or other gases at very high cost for just few minutes of welding.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Just refilled my 20lb CO2 tank on saturday. Wondering if CO2 and or Dry Ice , or maybe Liquid Nitrogen might get scarce if needed for transporting vaccines . My cost for 20lb of CO2 was $25.00(Last month I only paid $20.00) and is easily transferred to other containers, only 2 local places have dry ice, and one of them is my welding gas supplier. I've seen several videos of people refilling soda stream, and keg carbonators with Dry Ice. Seems like an awful to of work, but I guess if you really need too.

I was trying out my CO2 for welding last week, and noticed on bigger jobs my flow would go down after about 20 minutes of welding. Regulator is marked for AR/CO2, it has a dial gauge not a flow meter. Maybe my setting is too high,don't know. Went back to AR/CO2 gauge flow seemed fine.
    Ran out of .030" 70-s6 wire recently, and while getting CO2 I grabbed a 10lb roll of blue demon for $20.95. Seemed like a pretty good price

Never understood why the helium balloon thing became so popular, especially the Metallized Mylar bag. Its almost the same thing a (electrolytic) capacitor is made out of, then filled with inert(mostly) gas. What do you suppose happens when it lands/gets stuck on a high voltage line ?

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by smithdoor; 11-30-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Using dry ice as a welding shielding gas would be kind of tough. You would have to capture the CO2 as the dry ice sublimates and then figure out how to get it to the weld.
    If anything is added to balloon helium it would be nitrogen simply to save on helium. Industrial grade and balloon helium will work for welding when the use is not stated and the customer is given balloon helium.
    Helium, nitrogen and oxygen are common balloon mix but the Helium is still at least 92% of the mix.

Many places sell the same helium regardless of it's end use.

Post Thanks / Like

Ran into big problems here when helium wasn't pure enough for welding. Generally if you're using helium for Tig welding you're working on something more critical. Argon has to very pure too.

Post Thanks / Like

DC TIG on aluminum?
    Balloon helium worked fine.
    Semiconductor industry? Not so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post

Regulator could have been starting to freeze. For Tig the shielding gas has to be extremely clean.

Helium took a huge jump in price several years ago because the restrictions on the main storage facility were lessened and it was depleted. It was in short supply with the priority on medical equipment. Liquid helium is used to cool MRI machines.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist