+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New To Welding, Looking For Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

New To Welding, Looking For Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get into welding for personal/hobbyist use. My total welding experience consists of about 12" of terrible weld. I plan on welding steel and aluminum, but I have no projects planned as of now. My current garage only has a 15am 120 circuit, but I will be moving and will ensure the new garage has 220. It's not worth running a circuit in my current home.

From what I've read, it looks like MIG and TIG are the preferred "do it all" disciplines. What would you guys recommend for a machine? I've heard Vulcan is not bad for the price (I still shudder to think that anything from Harbor Freight is acceptable for long term use). I have also heard good things about Everlast and Hobart. Miller and Lincoln are obviously good as well, but expensive. Are they worth the extra cost for a DIYer?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New To Welding, Looking For Recommendations

Welcome.

We can spend your money easily

Everything comes down to budget. This hobby gets expensive quickly
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

3. Likes Thats Hot, Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Welcome.

We can spend your money easily

Everything comes down to budget. This hobby gets expensive quickly

Initially I wrapped up a search at Home Depot and said hey look, welding for $500. I have since realized $500 doesn't buy much of a machine. Amazon has an Everlast PowerMIG 200 on sale for $680. There is also a Vulcan MigMax215 on Craigslist for $415, but I don't know that I trust the add. Can much be done on a 15amp 120 circuit? is a 20% duty cycle enough, or should I be looking for more?

Post Thanks / Like

15amp isnt much and in the long run it is always better to invest in a 240v machine.

That being said, I started with a little 120v Lincoln 100HD and a 15amp circuit when I lived in an apartment. Lucky enough to have a little garage to work out of.

Limited on what I could weld but it suited me for that time period and the projects I had.

No experience on the Everlast but there is an Everlast section on this forum.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

6. Likes Thats Hot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

15amp isnt much and in the long run it is always better to invest in a 240v machine.

That being said, I started with a little 120v Lincoln 100HD and a 15amp circuit when I lived in an apartment. Lucky enough to have a little garage to work out of.

Limited on what I could weld but it suited me for that time period and the projects I had.

No experience on the Everlast but there is an Everlast section on this forum.

Thanks for the input. We are planning on moving in about a year so I am looking for a dual voltage unit (particularly the Everlast Powermig 200), or something comparable. The new garage will certainly have 220, or I will run a separate breaker to the garage. I was hoping there would be some functionality out of my current electrical, otherwise I'll just wait until we move to purchase a decent welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

15A 120V will really limit what you can do, but it's not the end of the world. First off, you could take one of your 15A 120V circuits and dedicate it to a welder, which will allow you to run a larger breaker on the same size wires safely, and be within code. Short version...if it's the only outlet on a circuit, you should be fine swapping the breaker from 15A to 20A. That could entail removing other outlets from the circuit, but even that isn't a big deal. Assuming no pre-existing wiring issues that wouldn't be an expensive project even if you hired an electrician to handle it.

MIG is probably the easiest to learn and can be used for most of what a homeowner might tackle. If you add a spool gun and a tank of argon you can weld aluminum with the same machine. You can even weld stainless with the normal gun if you get a bottle of tri-mix gas and the appropriate wire.

TIG is fantastic and can weld pretty much anything with just one gas (argon) but it's a much slower process and requires a lot more prep work to the metal....it's got to be clean, clean, clean.

For someone starting out, a MIG is probably the smart choice...you're going to want one eventually even if you started with something else.

Brands and models will bring up a lot of debate and not all of it will be objective. I've owned Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, Everlast, and welded on others...they all have pluses and minuses.

A really nice dual-voltage MIG welder for someone starting out is the Miller Millermatic 211. Hobart sells a very similar machine in the Handler 210MVP....Hobart and Miller are owned by the same company and many Hobart welders are slightly less optioned versions of the same machine.

I have an Everlast TIG that has served me well, but I'm not impressed with their wire feeds. Honestly, I'd probably take a risk on a Harbor Freight welder before buying any of the online-only brand MIG welders except for HTP (high quality, not cheap).
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

What city are you located in ?
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

If dryer you have a 30amp 240volt plug.
    If kitchen is close to garage you have a 50amp 240volt circuit.

Most time you share the circuits

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Automaton25 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get into welding for personal/hobbyist use. My total welding experience consists of about 12" of terrible weld. I plan on welding steel and aluminum, but I have no projects planned as of now. My current garage only has a 15am 120 circuit, but I will be moving and will ensure the new garage has 220. It's not worth running a circuit in my current home.

From what I've read, it looks like MIG and TIG are the preferred "do it all" disciplines. What would you guys recommend for a machine? I've heard Vulcan is not bad for the price (I still shudder to think that anything from Harbor Freight is acceptable for long term use). I have also heard good things about Everlast and Hobart. Miller and Lincoln are obviously good as well, but expensive. Are they worth the extra cost for a DIYer?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

What city are you located in ?
    I am in Lakewood, CO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    If dryer you have a 30amp 240volt plug.
    If kitchen is close to garage you have a 50amp 240volt circuit.

Most time you share the circuits

Dave
    I actually have an unused 220 circuit in the kitchen (we removed the electric range and put in a gas one. The plugs are relatively close to the garage, but probably not close enough to where I could plug the welder in and still have usable length on the torch in the garage. I'm probably 15 feet to the garage door

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Automaton25 View Post
    I actually have an unused 220 circuit in the kitchen (we removed the electric range and put in a gas one. The plugs are relatively close to the garage, but probably not close enough to where I could plug the welder in and still have usable length on the torch in the garage. I'm probably 15 feet to the garage door
    Look up the thread on making extension cords. I think it is a sticky thread. Sounds like a 25’ - 35’ extension cord would get you welding with 240v. They are not that expensive to make and you can make sure your plug matches the receptacle.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...Extension+cord

I added the link, but you have already replied.
    Last edited by wb4rt; 12-03-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    Look up the thread on making extension cords. I think it is a sticky thread. Sounds like a 25’ - 35’ extension cord would get you welding with 240v. They are not that expensive to make and you can make sure your plug matches the receptacle.
    Good idea, I hadn't thought about making an extension cord. I figured there would be issues with plugging a welder into an extension cord. I guess as long as you use the right gauge wire it would be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

17. Likes Thats Hot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

where is your main panel?
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

where is your main panel?

The main panel is on the backside of the house. It's not a matter of doing it, it's a matter of not worth the time/money for a house I'm not staying in for much longer. I'm sure it would add value to the house, but marginally so given the neighborhood. The electrical in the house is a nightmare, I have no idea how it ever passed inspection. It could be done and if it were done I would add a sub panel in the garage. It's not going to happen though...I'm much more likely to make an extension cord and use the range plug if I were to need 220.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like Harbor Freight has a big sale going on the next three days. Would it be worth purchasing one of their units at 25% off or should I spend more later for a Hobart or something?

Post Thanks / Like

Read the fine print on the HF coupon. Mine excludes welders, and other merchandise. I'm new here also and never have welded. Before I joined I read everything I could to help with my decision. I narrowed it down to Everlast or Hobart. I set my search on CL for 220 miles and finally a Hobart 210 MVP showed up for $400. Came with cart, helmet, other stuff, and was like new. If I ever need service on it I can easily find someone close to do it. That's what steered me away from HF, or the likes. Have fun shopping. I miss that part myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustynut View Post
    Read the fine print on the HF coupon. Mine excludes welders, and other merchandise. I'm new here also and never have welded. Before I joined I read everything I could to help with my decision. I narrowed it down to Everlast or Hobart. I set my search on CL for 220 miles and finally a Hobart 210 MVP showed up for $400. Came with cart, helmet, other stuff, and was like new. If I ever need service on it I can easily find someone close to do it. That's what steered me away from HF, or the likes. Have fun shopping. I miss that part myself.
    I just noticed the omnipro is excluded from the deal, the migmax 200 says it is available only in store with special offer. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you what that special offer is though haha.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best and easiest thing you can do to help you learn to weld is to simply update your user CP to show your location. Then, when you are having trouble there is likely someone close to you willing to help out.

Post Thanks / Like

Great time to be buying with many sales around.
    I suggest going to local supplier and see what they have. I bought my machines from local suppliers for pretty much same price as online. Depending on what you need, a package deal on machine and a 125 cylinder of 75/25 will get you started.
    Cylinders can be a pain to exchange. Check with local suppliers on their policies. Some may only exchange their tank. Purchasing a tank from a supplier will definitely make exchanges easier.
    Hobarts will or are on sale at Northern Too, Farm and fleet, Tractor supply, and Fleet and farm.
    There have been good reviews on the Vulcan from Harbor freight. I would definitely get the extended warranty. Being a brick and mortar store, you can buy in person and return if needed without shipping.
    You're only gonna buy once, choose wisely. I bought once, five times now. 😂
    Happy Shopping !!

25. Likes Thats Hot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the WWC!

I was in the market a short while ago and ended up going with ESAB. The machine actually quit working suddenly (after first use) and they shipped me out another one straight away. Even though the venue I bought it from dragged their feet. ESAB has great customer service!! It is a multi process unit and pretty much all a small fab shop will ever need. The one I have (and love) is the 205 multi voltage/multi process. Check it out, made in USA. Everlast, Miller, and HTP are just as good and in some cases maybe even better. However, it could be a matter of opinion though, I think. Shopping for a new welder is awesome enjoy it while you can. That welder just blew through this 3/8 plate steel without a single hiccup. It's hooked to 240.
    Name:  2C6AAE07-ED02-4C9D-AE77-D98F438F5B03.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  107.1 KB
    I'm stumbling through life on the backs of failure, enjoying their sacrifice, as if I had somehow earned their years of servitude to sustain my wasteful appetite!.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the input. I know it has been a while since this thread went up, but I finally pulled the trigger. The more people I talked to the more I heard, buy it once and be done. I read and heard fantastic reviews for Everlast, Hobart, and Vulcan for the cheaper varieties. I settled on the Miller Multimatic 220. I figure I will never need another machine. The machine far exceeds my capabilities (I'm really good at getting wire and sticks stuck to things), but it has limitless growth for me to learn over the coming weeks, months, and years.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking machine. Seems like a good choice. Have fun.

29. Likes Jonath108 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist