+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FUBAR'd Regulator

Post Thanks / Like

FUBAR'd Regulator

Went out to set up for some tig and found the reg has failed. With the gas on, the second gauge works but I have no idea how much gas I have left.

Can this be still used or is it fatal? Can I get a new gauge or should I just go straight to LWS for a new one? It came with my SW200 and it "might" still be on warranty...I'm sure it's a cheap-*** reg.

I have to hunt through the file cabinet to find out if it still is.

Rats. One year warranty on Regs. ��
    Last edited by Xsbank; 12-03-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FUBAR'd Regulator

Regulator or gauge broke.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend you go here and order a new flow meter:

https://usaweld.com/products/flowmet...ee56255e&_ss=r

I’ve bought 4-5 from them over the years and always been satisfied with them. Price is about what a gauge costs and that may not be your problem.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to order another but can the old one be used while I wait delivery?
    Do these things fail often?
    If I want quality, do I have to pay hundreds for US made and will it last any longer? Am I doomed to Chinesium? Should I order a bunch of them?

Post Thanks / Like

I have ones that are still going.

came with my SP135P
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    I'm going to order another but can the old one be used while I wait delivery?
    Do these things fail often?
    If I want quality, do I have to pay hundreds for US made and will it last any longer? Am I doomed to Chinesium? Should I order a bunch of them?
    It won't hurt to try it the way it is. If the tank gauge failed it shouldn't keep you from welding...if gas is flowing, you should be fine. I've had to replace a gauge on an expensive flow meter and found the exact replacement on Amazon for about $10, so it made sense to do that.

I've used quite a few of the inexpensive flow meters like the one from USA Weld above, but always bought them off Amazon or eBay for even less...right now under $30. One time in a rush I bought the inexpensive "Victor" model that looks the same and it's absolutely identical to all the other Chinese imported flow meters...just a different package and $20 higher price. I have had one of these imported flow meters show up with a leak that had to go back, and have read others claiming the same thing.

The biggest issue with the cheap flow meters is that they're set for 50PSI output. For MIG it doesn't matter much, but for TIG the blast of air when you hit the pedal is sort of annoying. Better flow meters tend to be set for 20-30PSI output and only have a little puff of extra pressure when you hit the pedal....just a bit nicer to use.

I've used a pile of different flow meters in the past couple of years and the one I like best is the Harris 355....built like a tank, 20PSI output, made in the U.S. and not ridiculously expensive. It's a current model and I'm pretty sure repair parts are available as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Harris-310020.../dp/B002QN0G1W

My second choice in that price range would be a Victor 1425, but I'm not sure if they're made in the U.S. or not.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

7. Likes shovelon, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    It won't hurt to try it the way it is. If the tank gauge failed it shouldn't keep you from welding...if gas is flowing, you should be fine. I've had to replace a gauge on an expensive flow meter and found the exact replacement on Amazon for about $10, so it made sense to do that.

I've used quite a few of the inexpensive flow meters like the one from USA Weld above, but always bought them off Amazon or eBay for even less...right now under $30. One time in a rush I bought the inexpensive "Victor" model that looks the same and it's absolutely identical to all the other Chinese imported flow meters...just a different package and $20 higher price. I have had one of these imported flow meters show up with a leak that had to go back, and have read others claiming the same thing.

The biggest issue with the cheap flow meters is that they're set for 50PSI output. For MIG it doesn't matter much, but for TIG the blast of air when you hit the pedal is sort of annoying. Better flow meters tend to be set for 20-30PSI output and only have a little puff of extra pressure when you hit the pedal....just a bit nicer to use.

I've used a pile of different flow meters in the past couple of years and the one I like best is the Harris 355....built like a tank, 20PSI output, made in the U.S. and not ridiculously expensive. It's a current model and I'm pretty sure repair parts are available as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Harris-310020.../dp/B002QN0G1W

My second choice in that price range would be a Victor 1425, but I'm not sure if they're made in the U.S. or not.
    Exactly right. Tig does not need high flow so you don't need high output pressure. That blast of air is actually surge from pressure building up in front of your solenoid. Every time the solenoid is released that extra gas normalizes through your system. Hundreds of times the surges of that extra gas from the 50psi output your bottle drains faster. Over time the return on investment from spending the extra money on a quality tig flowmeter is realized many times over.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    Went out to set up for some tig and found the reg has failed. With the gas on, the second gauge works but I have no idea how much gas I have left.

Can this be still used or is it fatal? Can I get a new gauge or should I just go straight to LWS for a new one? It came with my SW200 and it "might" still be on warranty...I'm sure it's a cheap-*** reg.

I have to hunt through the file cabinet to find out if it still is.

Rats. One year warranty on Regs. ��
    Never had that problem. I did run out of gas many times though and the needle was pegged.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s a 15.00 0-4,000 psi gauge.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are great, thanks for your input.
    I presume the pressure gauges are a standard thread so I'll try and see if there are any in my neck of the woods. I ordered another reg from Amazon, a Canaweld flow meter so I'll see if that's sufficient. I have Xmas projects to finish...
    My wife just informed me that the stove has sh*t the bed, lots of smoke got out so I guess that will trump the reg for a few days. "Happy wife, happy life."

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are great, thanks for your input.
    I presume the pressure gauges are a standard thread so I'll try and see if there are any in my neck of the woods. I ordered another reg from Amazon, a Canaweld flow meter so I'll see if that's sufficient. I have Xmas projects to finish...
    My wife just informed me that the stove has sh*t the bed, lots of smoke got out so I guess that will trump the reg for a few days. "Happy wife, happy life."

16. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Opening the cylinder too fast can blow the gauge(s). Gauge is generally NPT thread and any welding supply should have one.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist