+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New guy w some ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

New guy w some ideas.

Hi, I own a stick welder and so far have barely used it. It is older Craftsman buzz box 230 amp version. I recently repaired the fan wiring inside the unit and it now hums as it should. I find it hard to control the arc, it produces a lot of splatter (nature of the beast I think) and I think it would more useful for heavier repairs.
    I also own some oxyacetyline torches I mainly use for cutting.
    I am considering an MVP 210 hoping it would be more versatile for what I want, some general automotive work, crafts . I basically want to learn to weld and I love tools.
    I was looking at a newer multihandler 200 that was intriguing but could not find any reviews on it, the thought of being able to weld some aluminum spikes my interest. (welding boat T-Tops would be awesome).
    I am considering a second semiretired career- I am only 48 but am considering either getting my ASE auto certification (I have a larger automotive background) or taking some welding classes, either path is a stress on time (family and current job) but the interest in either path is because I would like to make some side money part time and working with my hands takes my mind off things. I am not sure if either of those thoughts will play out so for the meantime I will enjoy reading up on some of the info available on this forum. And maybe soon I will upgrade to a more robust machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy w some ideas.

Welcome.
    MIG is definitely easier to get started in my opinion and will make cleaner welds but as you know is more expensive.

Look for a name brand 220v MIG. Parts are widely available if needed on Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome.
    MIG is definitely easier to get started in my opinion and will make cleaner welds but as you know is more expensive.

Look for a name brand 220v MIG. Parts are widely available if needed on Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with wb4rt that mig is easier but I think stick will teach you more(Be one with the puddle)Hi,hi. I am guessing that your Craftsman is AC only? It can still teach you a lot. I welded for many years with a K. O. Lee and still have it actually but DC stick is the Cat's Meow for me. Tell the forum what rods you are using and what you hope to be able to weld. More info gets more comments. Welcome to the forum. I hope you can find some positive input here.
    ---Meltedmetal

5. Likes wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    I have one of those old CRAFTSMAN AC machines & it still welds great, I've had it since 78 or so. I have to ask what rod you're using, it will run 7018 AC, 7014, 7024, 6011 & 6013 great if it's working right, there's other rods too that it will handle. IMO, learn the stick & get proficient with it & then graduate to MIG & TIG.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Welcome!
    I have one of those old CRAFTSMAN AC machines & it still welds great, I've had it since 78 or so. I have to ask what rod you're using, it will run 7018 AC, 7014, 7024, 6011 & 6013 great if it's working right, there's other rods too that it will handle. IMO, learn the stick & get proficient with it & then graduate to MIG & TIG.
    Hey OP, and Caveman,

I too have the Sears 230 A AC machine. This is really a nice little machine and will do just about everything you need. Suggestions to improve as I have done:

0). Forgot this. Open unit and oil the sliding adjuster and tightening stem. This is just Al so don’t ruin the threads.

1) change out stock connectors w Dinse type connectors. The stock connectors were causing voltage drops. They are pretty low grade. Like this:

Name:  3C994104-95ED-47C7-973D-C233023A9455.jpeg
Views: 118
Size:  103.0 KB

2) change out the ground clamp to a brass one. Same effect as 1)

3) if you want to expand this buzzer, add a rectifier and choke. I did this. Allowed scratch start tig to learn with. I posted the project on the forum. Basic round out here:

Name:  2F448C69-E038-472E-97D9-9A1EEEDD44C3.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  259.4 KB

Regards.
    Last edited by Continuum; 12-09-2020 at 01:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist