+ Reply to Thread

Thread: auto-darkening question

Post Thanks / Like

auto-darkening question

I had never welded before, and I helped a friend weld. He gave me an auto darkening helmet, and reassured me that everything was alright with it. Not knowing anything about welding, I looked for several minutes. I found out later that the auto darkening was not working. It was a 3 shade, and I think we were mig welding. I have been to multiple eye doctors, and everyone says it should be better in two or so days. This was over a month ago, I continue to have major issues. Can anyone help me know if they have done this, or heard of it done? I am worried I wont ever be okay again, and most doctors act like they have seen this before, but I think they see the usual arc burn, and dont know how to help me. If you have been through this or know where to go to get help please let me know
    Thank you
    Hurting eyes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: auto-darkening question

I find it hard to believe you suffered major eye damage a month ago looking thru a #3 lense.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

What brand autodark hood was it? Resting shade is usually 4 or 5.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

4. Likes filetobeef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I hope not either, just do not know much about it, and I figured you guys might know better. I hope its just needs a little more time.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure, I think it said 3/10 on it. After we found out it wasn't working he said well at least it was a five, then when I said it says three, he told me "well I guess it was a three"

Post Thanks / Like

Several minutes means you probly woke up that night eyes swelled up like some stuff a sand blaster under your eye lits and lit it.

The next day your eyes might have been swelled up stillburning and watering

Why don't you provide details about the major issues your having, then and now 3 months later.

Also how old are you.

I've learned things the hard way in life and it appears you also have. About welding and the friends you keep. Maybe steer ear of both

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8. Likes markusdaily liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure just what kind of injury you have done to your eyes. I have a couple of Huntsman auto lens that I have been using for many years and they claim to have complete UV protection whether they are off or on. And from what I have read all auto lens have this claim. So if you were using an auto lens in the off condition the only problem should have been light in the visual range, like looking at a very bright flashlight. In other words probably not permanent damage. Hopefully.

10. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You said you went to an "eye doctor" but didn't say if he was an optometrist or an ophthalmologist. There's a big difference. I've been to both for an eye condition and the ophthalmologist was far better.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn man I dunno how you even looked at the weld on a 3 shade. I forgot and had mine set at a 9 for MIG around 18v and when I cranked it up over 22 volts I had to turn my shade up because it was too bright for me. I was seeing a spot after welding on a shade 9 at 22volts. Maybe my hood is ****, but I couldn't imagine staring at it with a 3. I would immediately know something was wrong.

Either way, hope you get better. I would definitely go to an ophthamologist

13. Likes markusdaily liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

is op looking for compensation and using replies to bolster the case? idk...
    the vagueness of the whole thing is unsettling.

15. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the last part you wrote, I for sure am learning the hard way.
    I had the pain and difficulty looking at light for first couple of days, but then crazy dryness, red eyes and inflamed eyelids. It would get a bit better, but then flares up. I found out I was having pretty high intra ocular pressures, which taking beta blockers has helped a lot with the symptoms, but I am not sure why or what will happen once I stop the beta blockers. I still have a hard time focusing, driving, and have a constant headache. I am 42. So far I am right around a month into it, and go back to optometrist in 4 more days. Since it seems like not many have had this problem, I will try to update how my condition is in a few months. Hopefully back to normal.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to both, I didn't know there was a difference either until about two weeks in. If it happened over I would probably start with an opthalmologist. Though the opthomologist also kind of acted like he has seen this all the time. He never mentioned anything about getting high eye pressures or flare ups.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I would now know that its not right, seemed brighter than I thought it would be, but at the time it didnt seem overwhelming, bright green-white, but didnt see any blue or feel like I had to close my eyes. Wish I had now

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for someone who may have had the same experience, and can share what happened and what to expect. Going a month and not knowing if my eyes will ever look the same or feel normal again is hard. If someone could tell me what to expect it would help me to get on with life, or for someone to say what treatments helped. I apoligize if it seems vague, as I obviously have no welding experience, or else I would not be in this situation. The only way I could see anyone being in this type of situation is if there first time welding involved a non-working auto darkening, or else they would know immediately that it is not right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markusdaily View Post
    I went to both, I didn't know there was a difference either until about two weeks in. If it happened over I would probably start with an opthalmologist. Though the opthomologist also kind of acted like he has seen this all the time. He never mentioned anything about getting high eye pressures or flare ups.
    Sounds like you have Arc Eye but even with only a shade 3-Light state of that AD hood should prevent Arc Eye.

You might be the one in a million that reacts to Bright Light in a negative way.

As long as I have been on these forums I have never read about anyone experiencing the type of irritation in the eyes for so long.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I had never welded before, and I helped a friend weld. He gave me an auto darkening helmet, and reassured me that everything was alright with it. Not knowing anything about welding, I looked for several minutes. I found out later that the auto darkening was not working. It was a 3 shade, and I think we were mig welding. I have been to multiple eye doctors, and everyone says it should be better in two or so days. This was over a month ago, I continue to have major issues. Can anyone help me know if they have done this, or heard of it done? I am worried I wont ever be okay again, and most doctors act like they have seen this before, but I think they see the usual arc burn, and dont know how to help me. If you have been through this or know where to go to get help please let me know
    Thank you
    Hurting eyes
    `Many years ago I was teachin a young lady how to weld using 6010 rods, I started this adventure about 730AM.
    After showin her how to strike an arc and so on, I let her give it a whirl. It didnt go well. I would tell her wait til I tell you to strike the arc, and yup she would strike an arc, this is way back before auto dark weld hoods which I dont like anyway. Well she learned how to weld flat vertical horizontal and even got pretty good at overhead welding. This pain didnt bother me til that night drivin home in the dark. But I can tell you it felt like somebody jammed a bullpin in both eyes. Next morning they are pure red. My dad took me to the eye doctor, he sends me to the other guy that he isnt (not the guy who does an eye exam for glasses, the other one). He tells me yup you got yourself a nasty weld flash, take 3 or 4 days off wrap a cold rag over your face, drink some nyquil to go to sleep, and gave me some eyedrops of some sort. 3 days later I was back to work, eyes were still a bit scratchy for about a week, I went back for the followup checkup, doc said there is no permanent damage. He also said in most cases there is no permanent damage, and that he had never seen weld flash cause permanent damage but severe flash can cause it.

I dont know what you got goin on, maybe you got more than just weld flash, maybe an infection from it or somethin else goin on. In any case i hope it soon gets better.

22. Likes leightrepairs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife works for an Optometrist full time and part time for an Ophthalmologist & they have told me that it's perfectly fine to use TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT(NEOSPORIN) in your eyes, even thought the label says not to. I have used it several times & it can be very soothing, I will add that it would be best to use a new tube and keep it exclusively for your eyes, the petrolatum base may cause temporary blurriness. The eye drops they gave you are probably just an antibiotic drop. It's very odd for an arc burn to last more than a day or two so I would stay on top of it, I got a jug of whitewash thrown in my face/eyes when I was a freshman in high school and spent a full week completely blind and another few days regaining my vision, both eyes were blistered pretty badly. It's also my understanding that the AD HOODS filter UV rays whether they darken or not, The dark is just for brightness.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 12-10-2020 at 10:56 PM.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I dont know either, he said it is not an infection. I was doing better this morning, now feels rough. I go in again on Monday

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry i am just getting around to this but recently Found out it was a speedglass utility by 3m. Also found out we were tig welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I have not given an update in a while, but I have been going through a lot with this lately. I appreciate everyone's help, and would like to update those of you who have helped. I have learned that we were TIG welding aluminum in a 3m speedglass utility. I am still having issues since november 10th, although nothing like I have had in the past. Some days I only experience dry eyes. My eyes hurt to drive more than a few minutes, but that has been improving. I have trouble reading for a while without my eyes getting a bit sore. I feel like some of the pain I had in back of my eyes is improving. I am still going to eye doctors, but not really getting much help there. I think it will just take more time. I do get confused still why I had any issues as things I read make it sound like even in the off it should protect from uv/IR, but then it says this helmet is not supposed to be used for TIG welding so still not sure what could have been done. In the past if I tried to write this much I would be hurting terribly, so I think I am doing better, just not sure what will be the final point. Ill try to update those who care again, as I feel this is a unique experience, and if I can help anyone in future, or still find anyone who can help me still would be great.
    Thank you
    Happy New year

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I have not given an update in a while, but I have been going through a lot with this lately. I appreciate everyone's help, and would like to update those of you who have helped. I have learned that we were TIG welding aluminum in a 3m speedglass utility. I am still having issues since november 10th, although nothing like I have had in the past. Some days I only experience dry eyes. My eyes hurt to drive more than a few minutes, but that has been improving. I have trouble reading for a while without my eyes getting a bit sore. I feel like some of the pain I had in back of my eyes is improving. I am still going to eye doctors, but not really getting much help there. I think it will just take more time. I do get confused still why I had any issues as things I read make it sound like even in the off it should protect from uv/IR, but then it says this helmet is not supposed to be used for TIG welding so still not sure what could have been done. In the past if I tried to write this much I would be hurting terribly, so I think I am doing better, just not sure what will be the final point. Ill try to update those who care again, as I feel this is a unique experience, and if I can help anyone in future, or still find anyone who can help me still would be great.
    Thank you
    Happy New year
    I’ve had almost this exact thing happen, but not from welding, at least I don’t think it was.

Doc said that the ducts which add oil to your eyes to keep your tears from evaporating we’re inflamed, so my tears were evaporating and not providing lubrication, said he’s seen more this year than any other in his practice of 25 years. It didn’t feel like arc flash, I’ve had that multiple times, arc flash feels like sand, this feels more like 4-5 eyelashes in your eye at the same time, and any air movement at all makes it worse, driving in the truck with the A/C on, ceiling fan on low watching TV. Gave me some soap that has tea tree oil in it and an eye mask you nuke in the microwave to warm up. Think the eye mask helped more than anything.

Look for Mediviz Warm Compress Eye Mask on Amazon. It’s $20 or so. If you’re anything like me you’d have paid 10 times that for some relief.

I still have some halo like vision issues while looking at a light source, like a scratched up or hazy windshield from mud or sand on wiper blades, but he says he thinks that’ll clear with time.

Adding: If it was indeed a 3M SpeedGlas helmet I’m 99% sure those provide UV protection even when off, as others have said. Not saying it wouldn’t cause some temporary discomfort, but I doubt anything long term.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 01-04-2021 at 03:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    is op looking for compensation and using replies to bolster the case? idk...
    the vagueness of the whole thing is unsettling.
    Nothing wrong with that if it is indeed true that his "friend" is responsible for messing up his only set of eyes he will have for this lifetime.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Nothing wrong with that if it is indeed true that his "friend" is responsible for messing up his only set of eyes he will have for this lifetime.
    Yes, but the "friend" is not having a problem, and also is not a doctor. I think the OP is having special issues really not related to welding, but medication problems.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

30. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
    I’ve had almost this exact thing happen, but not from welding, at least I don’t think it was.

Doc said that the ducts which add oil to your eyes to keep your tears from evaporating we’re inflamed, so my tears were evaporating and not providing lubrication, said he’s seen more this year than any other in his practice of 25 years.
    This is a thing that has been known to happen to a very small number of unlucky individuals... usually after something like laser eye surgery... basically it stresses your eye system and it reacts badly. I think you're onto something here.

A 3M speedglas is industry standard... I can't imagine that it was a bad welding hood that caused it. Possibly contributed to it, but it will have been an inherent problem in the OP's eyes waiting to be triggered.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist