+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aluminium filler wire

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminium filler wire

Is the aluminum wire used in electrical service cable any good for filler rod when TIG welding aluminum?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminium filler wire

That would be fun to try. I recommend turning the power off on the service wire first.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read, aluminum electrical service wire is close to pure aluminum or a 1XXX alloy. Most aluminum TIG fillers are 4XXX or 5XXX containing silicon or magnesium as principal additives. For reference: https://www.clintonaluminum.com/the-...s-for-welding/

4. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Give it a try then beat on it with a hammer. Should have a lot of strength and bend your base metal some or a lot before the weld breaks. If it’s strong it won’t break at the weld

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a bunch of the electrical wire as filler material for my scrap metal art projects. It works fine and seems to hold up pretty well. It all depends on what you are using it for.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

7. Likes billwood437, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the information!

Post Thanks / Like

The guy on youtube's "Project Farm" has done some tests and comparisons of aluminum welding rods that can "weld" aluminum with a propane or MAPP torch. I wonder if one could use the electrical wire (heavy gauge) like those rods.

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    The guy on youtube's "Project Farm" has done some tests and comparisons of aluminum welding rods that can "weld" aluminum with a propane or MAPP torch. I wonder if one could use the electrical wire (heavy gauge) like those rods.
    I don't think it would bond very good... I've done a good amount of repair work with the low temp aluminum 'welding' rods and I believe it is the other metals in the mix that make it braze(for lack of a better word) onto the base metal...... I think Now... with that said I can also say I have never tried to use(for welding) some pure aluminum out of a conductor.... but I have melted it with a torch

Post Thanks / Like

I went back and looked at Project Farm's aluminum electrode video...I think those electrodes do indeed have some allow metals in them. Thanks for the head's up.

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    I went back and looked at Project Farm's aluminum electrode video...I think those electrodes do indeed have some allow metals in them. Thanks for the head's up.
    Oh they actually have quite an assortment of metals in them

Can't remember the details but remember talking at length to a guy from Perth working for the original manufacturer(forget the name) of the low temp aluminum welding sticks.. he was telling us how they have one of the tallest full vacuum chambers in the world that these get made in and how their chamber got inspected every single day head to toe!!! and a bunch of other details about the different alloys in the mix..I think the said there were at least a dozen including sterling silver... last ones I got from HF and I didn't even notice if they were from china land or not???

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Blue Demon sticks (regular and aluminum) are all made in USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I don't think it would bond very good... I've done a good amount of repair work with the low temp aluminum 'welding' rods and I believe it is the other metals in the mix that make it braze(for lack of a better word) onto the base metal...... I think Now... with that said I can also say I have never tried to use(for welding) some pure aluminum out of a conductor.... but I have melted it with a torch
    If what Dennis says about aluminum electrical wire is correct it might work. 1XXX series aluminum has been used forever for welding with an oxy/hydrogen torch.

Artsy stuff or practice I’d try it if that’s all you have, but wouldn’t attempt it on anything that actually required a strong weld. I’ve only ever seen it used with thin aluminum, under 1/8”. Filler metal isn’t that expensive.

Adding: It also depends on what the base metal is, you don’t want to use a 1XXX series for filler on say a 5XXX or 6XXX base metal. I’d just buy some actual TIG rods and be done with it.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 12-19-2020 at 12:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billwood437 View Post
    Is the aluminum wire used in electrical service cable any good for filler rod when TIG welding aluminum?

So, aluminum electrical wire is made to carry electrical current without arcing, and you want to use it while arcing? Geeesh.

18. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    So, aluminum electrical wire is made to carry electrical current without arcing, and you want to use it while arcing? Geeesh.
    But.... it's actually pretty poor at doing that... hence why they quit using it in manufactured houses around here some 30-40 years ago turns out it was pretty good at arcing

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist