+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about the sMig function vs door chart on ESAB welders

Post Thanks / Like

Question about the sMig function vs door chart on ESAB welders

Hey guys,

Just a quick question about the sMig function and could use some input. I recently got the 205 ac/dc machine and was playing around with the sMig mode and noticed the when adjusting for material thickness, the wirefeed speeds do not correlate to what you would use for manual mig mode. For example in the door chart, to weld 1/8 material using .030 solid wire it says to use a wirespeed feed of 300 and voltage at 19.5 when using manual mig. When using sMig, setting material thickness to 1/8 does not set wirefeed speed anywhere close to 300 (I think 1/8 comes up around a WFS of 260/270). Going to 300 causes it to go next higher material thickness (10 gauge in this case). This is before welding, just looking at the settings.

I'm wondering if my machine is malfunctioning. Is this correct? One would expect the ranges in sMig to line up somewhat with the doorchart?

Can anyone else confirm this is the same for their ESAB machine in sMig mode?

Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about the sMig function vs door chart on ESAB welders

You can try to call ESAB tech support and ask them. Phone number is in the owners manual.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SkyZero View Post
    Hey guys,

Just a quick question about the sMig function and could use some input. I recently got the 205 ac/dc machine and was playing around with the sMig mode and noticed the when adjusting for material thickness, the wirefeed speeds do not correlate to what you would use for manual mig mode. For example in the door chart, to weld 1/8 material using .030 solid wire it says to use a wirespeed feed of 300 and voltage at 19.5 when using manual mig. When using sMig, setting material thickness to 1/8 does not set wirefeed speed anywhere close to 300 (I think 1/8 comes up around a WFS of 260/270). Going to 300 causes it to go next higher material thickness (10 gauge in this case). This is before welding, just looking at the settings.

I'm wondering if my machine is malfunctioning. Is this correct? One would expect the ranges in sMig to line up somewhat with the doorchart?

Can anyone else confirm this is the same for their ESAB machine in sMig mode?

Thanks for any help!
    We have an ESAB in the school shop, I mostly just run the highest sMig setting for the material thickness. If it's not enough, I just increase until I like it.

It mig welds and stick welds better than the 2 Thermal Arcs we have. Even the kids noticed the difference.

When I scratch tig with it (no tig feature) I use the stick setting for "any other electrode." The other setting is for 6010.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Door charts are a starting point. In Smig the machine is suppose to compensate for all the variables you present to the machine including poor ground clamp and nozzle stick out. Manual settings won’t compensate for poor conditions and or inexperienced welders which is the reason I went with the Rebel for my first wire welder. Been happy with it for the most part. I learned a lot by having it and what to look for in other machines now.

Change the variables while in Smig and see if the amps change. As I understand it and as has been said many times by members here on ww, wire feed speed directly correlates to amperage. Try changing your stickout and see if in Smig the amperage changes. If so it is quite possible the machine adjust the wire feed speed to adjust the amps for material thickness settings but this is just a theory on my part. ESAB can or should be able to shed more light on this subject.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-19-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist