+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PrimeWeld - CH Worldwide torch gas line extension?

Post Thanks / Like

PrimeWeld - CK Worldwide torch gas hose too short.

I have finally ventured into the world of TIG welding with a brand new PrimeWeld 225x machine. I've welded MIG and stick for years, all the while thinking about learning TIG, but never went ahead. Well, I just turned 75, and I guess you might say it must be a "bucket list" thing, because now I'm gonna do it.

So I ordered the machine, got another welding cart, a bottle of argon; bought some 2% lanthanated tungsten electrodes, a small grinder & aluminum oxide wheel, and a pair of Lincoln tig gloves. I am ready...
    but wait-a-sec!

I put this all together, and what I discover is that while the TIG torch cable/hose is 12' long, the gas line from the torch to the welder is only 6'. So what is the point of having a 12' torch cable if your are tethered by a 6' gas line!

So, I have been scouring the web for a 6' gas line extension, 5/8" M - F, and I am coming up empty. What about a coupler? Nothing found there either, and the only gas lines I can find, will not connect at the torch, so I don't even have the option to replace the OEM hose with a longer one.

So, what are you guys doing? And this is not a complaint with PrimeWeld, as they supplied a really nice CK Wordwide torch, but why is the gas hose half the length of the tig torch cable? Shouldn't the be the same, so your 'reach' is 12'?
    Last edited by Will S.; 12-27-2020 at 07:28 PM.
    Millermatic 180 Mig
    Everlast Cyclone 262
    PrimeWeld 225X TIG
    Lincoln IdealArc 250 (sold)
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42
    Cut50 Plasma cutter
    Craftsman(1980) buzzbox purchase new (sold)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PrimeWeld - CH Worldwide torch gas line extension?

Call me I will explain it to you.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will S. View Post
    I have finally ventured into the world of TIG welding with a brand new PrimeWeld 225x machine. I've welded MIG and stick for years, all the while thinking about learning TIG, but never went ahead. Well, I just turned 75, and I guess you might say it must be a "bucket list" thing, because now I'm gonna do it.

So I ordered the machine, got another welding cart, a bottle of argon; bought some 2% lanthanated tungsten electrodes, a small grinder & aluminum oxide wheel, and a pair of Lincoln tig gloves. I am ready...
    but wait-a-sec!

I put this all together, and what I discover is that while the TIG torch cable/hose is 12' long, the gas line from the torch to the welder is only 6'. So what is the point of having a 12' torch cable if your are tethered by a 6' gas line!

So, I have been scouring the web for a 6' gas line extension, 5/8" M - F, and I am coming up empty. What about a coupler? Nothing found there either, and the only gas lines I can find, will not connect at the torch, so I don't even have the option to replace the OEM hose with a longer one.

So, what are you guys doing? And this is not a complaint with PrimeWeld, as they supplied a really nice CK Wordwide torch, but why is the gas hose half the length of the tig torch cable? Shouldn't the be the same, so your 'reach' is 12'?
    I'm not understanding your issue. Is your cylinder on the cart, or remote from the machine? If you have the cylinder remote and need a longer hose, your LWS should have bulk hose and fittings to make what length you need. Otherwise 6' hose from flowmeter to rear of welder, tig torch gas fitting to front of machine next to dinse connector and pedal or torch switch connection.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you George, I may call tomorrow if you are in the shop.

M J D, I may not have explained the question very good, so to answer, yes, the argon tank is on the cart, and no prob with the supplied hose from regulator to gas inlet on back of welder. CK tig torch cable is 12' long, so if I am welding and the machine/cart are not right next to me, as when I were climbing up a ladder to weld something on the top of a structure (T-top for example), the 12' torch cable gives me pretty good reach, except that the gas line from the front of the machine to the torch head, is only 6'. So there's no getting an further away from the cart than probably 3 to 4 feet, to allow enough slack to move the torch into various positions.

Does that make sense?
    Millermatic 180 Mig
    Everlast Cyclone 262
    PrimeWeld 225X TIG
    Cut50 Plasma cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PrimeWeld - CK Worldwide torch gas hose too short.

Can you post a photo? The gas is flowing through the middle of the red conductor on most torches. That short hose should connect to the dinse connector to the gas outlet on the front of the welder. The gas is routed into the center of the red lead inside that black connector.
    Miller Syncrowave 180SD

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you George, I may call tomorrow if you are in the shop.

M J D, I may not have explained the question very good, so to answer, yes, the argon tank is on the cart, and no prob with the supplied hose from regulator to gas inlet on back of welder. CK tig torch cable is 12' long, so if I am welding and the machine/cart are not right next to me, as when I were climbing up a ladder to weld something on the top of a structure (T-top for example), the 12' torch cable gives me pretty good reach, except that the gas line from the front of the machine to the torch head, is only 6'. So there's no getting an further away from the cart than probably 3 to 4 feet, to allow enough slack to move the torch into various positions.

Does that make sense?
    That seems odd. On mine the gas hose is as long as the power lead on the torch.

Post Thanks / Like

will, the black gas line connects to the front of the machine and is connected to the dinse connector and the red lead. The ONLY cable you will have following you is the red one as it is the power cable and gas line combined...uses the gas flow to cool the power cable and provide shielding gas to the tig weld.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    will, the black gas line connects to the front of the machine and is connected to the dinse connector and the red lead. The ONLY cable you will have following you is the red one as it is the power cable and gas line combined...uses the gas flow to cool the power cable and provide shielding gas to the tig weld.
    Bill, and others who have weighed in for this bonehead, I'm embarrassed, humbled and feel completely stupid by my question. As I unpacked the welder and accys, I saw that one of the torch hoses is so much shorter than the other, never paying attention to the fact that the shorter one isn't from the torch!!!. Duh... sorry for what has to be the dumbest thread on WW for 2020.

I'll go stand in the corner now.
    Millermatic 180 Mig
    Everlast Cyclone 262
    PrimeWeld 225X TIG
    Cut50 Plasma cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, and others who have weighed in for this bonehead, I'm embarrassed, humbled and feel completely stupid by my question. As I unpacked the welder and accys, I saw that one of the torch hoses is so much shorter than the other, never paying attention to the fact that the shorter one isn't from the torch!!!. Duh... sorry for what has to be the dumbest thread on WW for 2020.

I'll go stand in the corner now.
    no reason to be embarrassed, I bet there isn't one person alive who has done anything worthwhile that hasn't done similar.

10. Likes Dave66, Will S. liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist