+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using Ground as a conductor.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using Ground as a conductor.

By "a ground burned off inside the machine..." I'll assume you mean work lead. Work lead isn't a ground. Calling it ground is improper use of the word. It is one of two leads from a power supply. It is NOT connected to earth ground. The arc completes the circuit.
    It is true that only the frame of your welder is grounded. Neither work lead is intentionally connected to ground.

When you clamp a work lead to a steel pen that is connected to earth, or concrete floor, the work lead becomes grounded. It is then a matter of coincidence which two objects the pig was touching. Plenty of cases where people have killed themselves also. There is a risk you will inadvertently touch your stinger & something grounded to the work lead. Generally the voltage isn't sufficient to kill a human, but extreme sweatiness, wet skin, etc. can make you a better conductor.

Fatal shock is measured in amps (rate of current) How many amps is an equation of body resistance & voltage (electrical pressure). Covering all skin with non conductive clothing increases your resistance.

Pig has no clothing, and nowhere to escape.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL.... yea, on the ground cable....
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I was using the buzz box on some hog pens once. A ground burned off inside the machine and killed 3 pigs. I was holding the pen with a rubberized glove and wearing rubber boots. Didn't feel a thing...
    So .. is it true about welding supposed to sound like frying bacon lol!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    So .. is it true about welding supposed to sound like frying bacon lol!!!
    You are a sick man! Bacon needs to be smoked & salted!
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    That driven rod takes your place as a conductor to earth for fault current. Your body is high in resistance, not much current will flow through you, but you can't survive much current. That ground wire bonded to center tap is an easier path to earth than you.

Dairy farmers (what few there are these days) have to be concerned about stray voltage. Cows can't tolerate much at all. 1/10 of 1 volt has been documented to raise leucocyte counts by 2000%! Dairy barns are always wet, all sorts of acids & alkaline contaminants. Stray voltage is pretty common. Code requires many extra measures, and curing a stray voltage problem will increase milk production sharply.

The simplest fix is bonding milk line, barn cleaner chain, reinforcing steel in the floor, vacuum line, stantions & water line to each other. You can have current flowing all around a cow, no problem. Current flowing through a cow, that's bad!
    If you lay a large plate of steel or aluminum on the ground (a cement slab pour,) connect a wire from that plate to two 12 volt batteries in series, then connect a test lead of your multimeter to the last unused terminal of the battery and hold the unused lead of the multimeter you will get a reading of 16 plus volts if laying on your back. If you stand up in boots you get nothing. On one knee you get a couple of volts. I used to do a lot of handicap ramp rails. I would have to lay on my back in summer and weld the horizontal pipes. My clothes were extremely damp, and when I would touch the ARC rod with a damp glove I would get a strong current flowing through me. But not when I was standing up or even kneeling. I think they are underestimating the body's ability to conduct electricity. I can touch 120 volts standing in good work boots with one hand and then pick up an oscilloscope probe with the other and register 165 volts on the scope. People can light things up, power things with their body as a conductor.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 01-12-2021 at 12:33 AM.
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    You are a sick man! Bacon needs to be smoked & salted!
    I think you can also use blackstrap molasses to cure bacon.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    I think you can also use blackstrap molasses to cure bacon.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Would that be with 120v or 240v...?

10. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that would be with ARC voltage, lightning voltage, static electricity voltage which can be created with almost any voltage source. I wonder if you could get the pigs to eat hardwood and blackstrap molasses and do everything in one shot.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think more importantly, would it be possible to use this process on disingenuous politicians and make them taste like bacon? I think I could sell that to the people of the U.S.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would bet most of the politicians have eaten wood softwood probably, at least when they were page boys to kiss up and get ahead. Now just to get the blackstrap molasses into them and apply the ARC.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

16. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

lol!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist