+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Ground as a conductor.

Post Thanks / Like

Using Ground as a conductor.

So I was just looking at my Tig 300/300. It has a 115v outlet on the face. It powers the water cooler pump.

Then I realized this machine has two hots and a ground. No neutral.

The only way to get 115v would be to use the ground as a return conductor.

Or am I missing a step inside the unit and in my head?
    Lincoln Power Mig 210MP MIG
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln TIG 300-300
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v Thanks JLAMES
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    My brain

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using Ground as a conductor.

Likely has a small 240-120 step down transformer built into it.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

3. Likes ronsii, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
    Likely has a small 240-120 step down transformer built into it.
    Yep, that's why the current limit on that outlet.

5. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

same power to the plug as what runs the cooling fan motor. plug is fused to protect the step down winding. its all part of the main welder transformer.

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If its the one in this version of the manual, it gets fed off of transformer T2 on page 22

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...oln3/im353.pdf
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Klutch ST80i lunchbox stick welder
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (1953)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe (for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so it is stepped down to 120v and then what? How does it return?
    Or does the transformer have 60v and 60v over zero?
    Lincoln Power Mig 210MP MIG
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln TIG 300-300
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v Thanks JLAMES
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    My brain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joker11 View Post
    Ground is still ground the 120v is from A coil (loop of wire with two ends) on the xfmr... thus the outlet hot and neutral will each have one of those wires.... the current is not returning to the utility power source... well not in a direct way anyways

Post Thanks / Like

You can have multiple secondary windings on a transformer: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...er-basics.html
    Name:  multiple-secondary-xfmr-windings.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  41.4 KB
    Sometimes coils are center tapped.

12. Likes Kevin_Essiambre, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They kind of phased those outlets out. Efficiency & GFCI requirements would be my guess.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn’t surprise me if they used the ground as the neutral. Many old electric panels just used a 3 wire system
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

I used to wonder why they didn't build single phase welders with 4 wire systems. I never found an answer. They used secondary windings to produce 120 volt AC.

Equipment ground only connects to the frame.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

16. Likes Kevin_Essiambre, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have zero ideas about the wiring of that welder. However, welders, dryers, ranges, that had 120vac accesories used to use one hot and ground to provide the 120 volts for the secondary systems. This was prior to the 4 prong outlets. The only difference between the ground and neutral is semantics as far as the machine is concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

The Lincoln Tig 300/300 uses a completely separate transformer for the aux outlet power. It is not part of the main transformer but rater a separate control power transformer to step down what comes in to the 120 volt needed.

It is a transformer with normal neutral and hot on secondary. Returns on the neutral back to transformer.

T2 is control transformer. Line voltage in/120 volt out.

Last edited by danielplace; 01-01-2021 at 09:28 AM.

19. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    I have zero ideas about the wiring of that welder. However, welders, dryers, ranges, that had 120vac accesories used to use one hot and ground to provide the 120 volts for the secondary systems. This was prior to the 4 prong outlets. The only difference between the ground and neutral is semantics as far as the machine is concerned.
    Along with the occasional fatality, less often, fire.

In a properly installed system, Center tap (white) connects to earth ground at one point per house.
    I can cite at least one case where a plumber was killed because someone considered ground & center tap to be equivalent.

Grounding (green, or bare equipment ground) is in many cases not securely connected, It passes through numerous connections, sometimes depending on a locknut not tightened on a painted surface. It only conducts electricity in fault circumstances.

Grounded, neutral, center tap, (white) is intended to conduct electricity. Conductors should always have insulation separating electrons from people.

I've seen many examples of arcing where somebody believed grounding was the same as grounded.

In New Hampshire a three conductor circuit supplying a household range was used when appliance delivery people replaced a range. The strain relief supplied with three conductor range cords NEVER fit. They discarded it and ran the cord through the sharp hole in the sheep metal with no protector.
    They also failed to connect the bonding jumper. An arrangement I've seen hundreds of times. They then shoved the range between cabinets pinching the cord.

People living in the home never happened to touch the sink at the same time as the range. They were unaware the sharp knockout hole in the back of the stove had cut through insulation on the cord. It was live all the time.

A year or more later a plumber did touch sink & range at the same time. He had 120 volts left hand to right through his chest. He was killed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Earlier versions of code allowed three conductor cable to supply ranges & dryers with a list of conditions. Errors, or deliberate ignoring rules were so common, code was changed.

22. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    The Lincoln Tig 300/300 uses a completely separate transformer for the aux outlet power. It is not part of the main transformer but rater a separate control power transformer to step down what comes in to the 120 volt needed.

It is a transformer with normal neutral and hot on secondary. Returns on the neutral back to transformer.

T2 is control transformer. Line voltage in/120 volt out.

The transformer in your diagram has no neutral. It's output is 120 volts. One terminal is equivalent to the other. If it were a 240 volt output with a center tap, you could call it neutral.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the common 240 volt single phase grounded center tap systems. Because center tap is connected to ground, ground behaves much like center tap. In truth, as many electrons flow from center tap as "hot" legs in 120 volt circuits. You only use half the winding for those circuits.

Name:  Trans.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  72.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    The transformer in your diagram has no neutral. It's output is 120 volts. One terminal is equivalent to the other. If it were a 240 volt output with a center tap, you could call it neutral.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the common 240 volt single phase grounded center tap systems. Because center tap is connected to ground, ground behaves much like center tap. In truth, as many electrons flow from center tap as "hot" legs in 120 volt circuits. You only use half the winding for those circuits.
    I did call it a neutral. Your right it is not actually a neutral. I used the word in place of return so it would make sense to those reading that don't understand all the terminology. Of course you and I and some others would know it isn't actually a neutral from a separate stand alone control transformer. It is just the return from the other end. Of course same load on neutrals as the hot on a circuit as it is the return of the circuit. One big ole' loop and it is all the same basically. Neutral will knock you just the same as the hot if you get in between the load and return or from load to ground.

25. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you wanted to spend an hour and a half to explore grounding, there's no better resource than Mike Holt ->

27. Likes Kelvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did call it a neutral. Your right it is not actually a neutral. I used the word in place of return so it would make sense to those reading that don't understand all the terminology. Of course you and I and some others would know it isn't actually a neutral from a separate stand alone control transformer. It is just the return from the other end. Of course same load on neutrals as the hot on a circuit as it is the return of the circuit. One big ole' loop and it is all the same basically. Neutral will knock you just the same as the hot if you get in between the load and return or from load to ground.
    No need to tell you. There, I'm preaching to the choir.
    Others with less training, extrapolate from everything said to stockpile facts.

I dearly wish authors of code gave different labels to the center tap connected equipment. They call it "GROUNDED". After several years of sitting in a room trying to stay awake, an electrical apprentice begins to understand. Most of the population grab on to that root word, and presume they are the same.

Grounding & grounded are absolutely two different things. Your power company won't let you mess with their transformer, you don't need to concern yourself with the transformer.

At the "house" there is a service disconnect. Inside this first switch to turn off the power you need a "bond" connecting center tap to earth.
    NOWHERE ELSE IN THE BUILDING, OR BUILDINGS SUPPLIED BY THIS SERVICE, SHOULD THERE BE A CONNECTION!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    If you wanted to spend an hour and a half to explore grounding, there's no better resource than Mike Holt ->
    Mike Holt Knows far more than I will ever know. I deeply respect the man.

I suffer from severe insomnia.

Mike Holt is my personal cure for insomnia. He spends 45 minutes conveying less information than I send in a text.

30. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    No need to tell you. There, I'm preaching to the choir.
    Others with less training, extrapolate from everything said to stockpile facts.

I dearly wish authors of code gave different labels to the center tap connected equipment. They call it "GROUNDED". After several years of sitting in a room trying to stay awake, an electrical apprentice begins to understand. Most of the population grab on to that root word, and presume they are the same.

Grounding & grounded are absolutely two different things. Your power company won't let you mess with their transformer, you don't need to concern yourself with the transformer.

At the "house" there is a service disconnect. Inside this first switch to turn off the power you need a "bond" connecting center tap to earth.
    NOWHERE ELSE IN THE BUILDING, OR BUILDINGS SUPPLIED BY THIS SERVICE, SHOULD THERE BE A CONNECTION!!!!!!!!!
    I often wondered why not too many years ago I'd see people bonding the panels at every sub panel.... never really got a good answer out of any of them

Here's a small transformer we're helping put in up north, they take their grounding seriously!!! they show a 4/0 running the halo.. which is weird because they only have a 2/0 connecting to it and the rest of the ground buss...

Name:  kts-transformer75kva1.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  39.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

It is odd to see but in old tube electronics you see that all time.

So what is voltage to ground.
    It maybe have a center tap to ground so you have 57 volts to ground.

Dave

So I was just looking at my Tig 300/300. It has a 115v outlet on the face. It powers the water cooler pump.

Then I realized this machine has two hots and a ground. No neutral.

The only way to get 115v would be to use the ground as a return conductor.

Or am I missing a step inside the unit and in my head?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I often wondered why not too many years ago I'd see people bonding the panels at every sub panel.... never really got a good answer out of any of them

Here's a small transformer we're helping put in up north, they take their grounding seriously!!! they show a 4/0 running the halo.. which is weird because they only have a 2/0 connecting to it and the rest of the ground buss...

Name:  kts-transformer75kva1.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  39.4 KB
    That is all about lightning protection. They often require them to be cad welded right to the chassis.

34. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is all about lightning protection. They often require them to be cad welded right to the chassis.
    Yeah, have seen the cad welded stuff especially around telco buildings I believe these just called for some sort of crimp/screw/ connections. It was the 30' 4/0 ring around the base I though was a bit overkill

36. Likes danielplace liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to work for a company and one of our customers was Florida Power & Light. The major power company in most all of South Florida.

We did a lot of electrical jobs for them. One of them was installing new transfer switches/backup generators at all their company owned communications buildings/tower sites they have all over Florida. They required 4/0 for grounding of the generator bases and cad welded to the main frame and to the ground rods. Pretty neat whoever invented that attachment method. All the different molds they have for every kind of connection you want to cad weld together. That stuff is incredible the heat it develops when it lights off.

38. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist