+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mobile rig setup help?

Post Thanks / Like

mobile rig setup help?

hey all,im new here but not new to the industry. ive been welding/fabricating for the last 8 years in the automotive restoration field, and basically anything that comes my way. MIG TIG Stick etc.
    ive been thinking about branching out into the mobile welding side of the industry recently, not so much as doing industrial work or pipe lines, but more of general repair work (broken parts on boats,equipment repair,etc.)
    so my thoughts were to get a lincoln ranger 250gxt engine drive to put in the back of my truck and then have a enclosed trailer to use almost as a small mobile work shop, i already have a squarewave tig 200 and a mig that i can run off of the ranger. so bascially just have all my cylinders in the trailer with the mig and tig and a work bench. just curious is anyone has any similar set ups and how they have done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: mobile rig setup help?

Personal experience tells me. Trailers disappear. I would be mindful of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting established can be challenging depending on your location and any competition out there.
    What's out by you that would require welding, anything ?? Horse farms, excavation contractors, transportation companies , industrial plants ? Many places have their own equipment and have their own employees.
    I would start by visiting prospective companies and places that may consider services of a mobile welder. Pass out cards and see what happens before quitting your current job.
    Are there any mobile welding companies by you ??

Post Thanks / Like

Personal experience has also taught me that mobile welding rigs are akin to a field of dreams. If you build it. Work will come. Just have to be certain what you put together stays that way

Post Thanks / Like

I used a flat bed pickup and truck.
    This so change as the needs change.

My last one was just 1/2 ton pickup overhead rack that carry 2,000 pounds.
    I could easily remove the welder and tanks and make changes for job.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mike22115 View Post
    hey all,im new here but not new to the industry. ive been welding/fabricating for the last 8 years in the automotive restoration field, and basically anything that comes my way. MIG TIG Stick etc.
    ive been thinking about branching out into the mobile welding side of the industry recently, not so much as doing industrial work or pipe lines, but more of general repair work (broken parts on boats,equipment repair,etc.)
    so my thoughts were to get a lincoln ranger 250gxt engine drive to put in the back of my truck and then have a enclosed trailer to use almost as a small mobile work shop, i already have a squarewave tig 200 and a mig that i can run off of the ranger. so bascially just have all my cylinders in the trailer with the mig and tig and a work bench. just curious is anyone has any similar set ups and how they have done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Have you thought about what you are going to offer new customer's to get them to stop using welding companies whose work they are satified with and confident in? charging $2.00 an hour ain't going to get it. You being new and unfamiliar to them could offer to work for free and they wouldn't hire you.
    ^^^^Not to be a kill-joy but think long and hard about this^^^^

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Try doing it on the side to see how much interest there is in your area . Return all calls ,texts , emails even if you don’t plan on taking the job . A lot people I talk to ,even if I don’t take the job ,say thank you you are the only person to reply to me

Good luck.

9. Likes Thats Hot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess i forgot to include that I will not be quitting my day job, this would be on the side to start with and feel it all out...as for work their is a lot around me. I live on the coast of Florida so their is a lot of boat yards and also a lot of farms.we really have a little bit of everything and I know a lot of people here....but that was somthing I was concerned about was the pricing..I know the competition out there is very fierce when it comes to pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

I belong to a couple of Facebook fishing sites in Florida. There are always fishermen posting about canopy repairs. Both in stainless and aluminum.
    I suggest joining any groups in your area and advertise on facebook marketplace.
    Add photos too.
    Equine farms can be profitable. I did gates and custom saddle racks by a local farm.
    Maybe consider fabricating at your house too.
    Hopefully the arts / crafts shows will start up again. I do metal artwork and participate in a few shows a year. I get welding work unrelated to artwork from every show.
    Maybe consider getting a booth for advertising. By me, they average $75.00'to $100.00

Post Thanks / Like

Well I worked off a trailer for years but I wouldn’t have a enclosed trailer because of heat fumes trying to use a vice what ever I built a trailer toolboxes and had everything on the trailer past experience having equipment on two units when your trying to work on equipment not very handy especially if you get in tight quarters . I know I don’t live in Florida lots of difference between there and here just think about it remember no matter how you build a rig especially the first one you will figure it out after the first job you will know what is gonna work and what isn’t

Post Thanks / Like

Those are all great ideas, and I do work out of my house as well, I’m actually doing some aluminum turbo piping for a race car as we speak...but those were my thoughts also were a lot of aluminum/stainless work since I’m so close to to the water and a lot of people have boats here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike22115 View Post
    Those are all great ideas, and I do work out of my house as well, I’m actually doing some aluminum turbo piping for a race car as we speak...but those were my thoughts also were a lot of aluminum/stainless work since I’m so close to to the water and a lot of people have boats here
    since you already have some customers I think you will probably have a good shot at it and even if it stays a side gig you will probably do ok. the reason I think so is one of the guys on my crew finally bought his own machine and in the first week he repaired some stainless railing on a boat, a stainless dive ladder and built a custom hitching rack. personally I think I would keep the up front cost down by going with a hobart engine drive and if it goes full time then get the ranger. It's florida after all and generators can fetch a premium when the a/c goes out.
    what part of florida are you in, I am in n.w. fla.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weldnhack View Post
    since you already have some customers I think you will probably have a good shot at it and even if it stays a side gig you will probably do ok. the reason I think so is one of the guys on my crew finally bought his own machine and in the first week he repaired some stainless railing on a boat, a stainless dive ladder and built a custom hitching rack. personally I think I would keep the up front cost down by going with a hobart engine drive and if it goes full time then get the ranger. It's florida after all and generators can fetch a premium when the a/c goes out.
    what part of florida are you in, I am in n.w. fla.
    I’m in St Augustine Florida, been here for 23 years

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned not quitting your day job. I was thinking of building a KW welding truck for doing side work. The more I thought about it, having a great day job, it made more sense to put up a shop, which I am currently looking for the property for. I work on trucks, trailers, and heavy equipment, mostly. I am worried if I can't finish a job in a weekend, it will sit at my customers, apart for the week. I don't feel that looks good. So if I do it at my shop, I can work on it a few hours a night, turn the lights and lock the door, instead of having to pack everything up. Obviously I won't be able to do much emergency work, but I will have a pickup with a small welder for those I can take on. I am looking more for the winter maintenance work. I used to be in the trucking and excavating business so I already have a lot of contacts, and most know my work.So just don't take on more than you can handle or it can be just as bad as being a hack.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

17. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of a trailer I’d consider a box truck. Easily lockable plenty of room. If you pipe the exhaust outside and add some ventilation
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

19. Likes Thats Hot, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
    Instead of a trailer I’d consider a box truck. Easily lockable plenty of room. If you pipe the exhaust outside and add some ventilation
    I see a lot of mobile repair guys running around the ports and distribution centers with box vans - welders/air compressors inside.. gives you a roof to hide under when the elements aren't great but they can't get into the really tight and rough areas... like this kind of thing could

Name:  weldrig45.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  96.5 KB

21. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IF I seriously wanted to make one I think I would set one up in a 20 foot container and move it around with a dedicated roll off truck.

Maybe mount a small Hiab behind the cab. I'd have to think about that tho ....

:

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    IF I seriously wanted to make one I think I would set one up in a 20 foot container and move it around with a dedicated roll off truck.

Maybe mount a small Hiab behind the cab. I'd have to think about that tho ....

Ok Im a big dummy... what is a Hiab? Never heard of this

25. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a brand of knuckleboom cranes.
    Name:  hiab1.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  36.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

mobile rig setup help?

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    It's a brand of knuckleboom cranes.
    Name:  hiab1.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  36.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Ok Im a big dummy... what is a Hiab? Never heard of this
    My bad. It's the "brand snob" in me.

Sorry.

:

28. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My bad. It's the "brand snob" in me.

Sorry.

LOL!!!! HEY, sometimes it's best to go with the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I see a lot of mobile repair guys running around the ports and distribution centers with box vans - welders/air compressors inside.. gives you a roof to hide under when the elements aren't great but they can't get into the really tight and rough areas... like this kind of thing could

Name:  weldrig45.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  96.5 KB
    No spare tire! Pretty cool though. I guess you stand on the passenger seat to refuel the welder?

:

31. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe start from scratch and do a combo rat rod welding rig project. May as well show up at the job site in style.

Just for fun I snooped around and found this 1956 S100 International pickup frame for sale. $200 Cdn.

Has steering box and differential.

:

33. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe start from scratch and do a combo rat rod welding rig project. May as well show up at the job site in style.

Just for fun I snooped around and found this 1956 S100 International pickup frame for sale. $200 Cdn.

Has steering box and differential.

Wow!!! even gots a set of studs on er'

This one showed up about a week ago about 500 feet south of the semi that was tipped in the flooding no engine but it's got a full set of wheels and tires shoot!!! it's even got a grill
    Name:  stripped-truck1.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  53.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Now I know what a Hiab is....my first thought was some kind of Arabian face covering...must be the racist in me comin out

36. Likes ronsii, Lis2323 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist