+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miller Conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Conversion

I am adding a 24 volt transformer and contactor to an Miller engine drive. I have 24VAC to pin A and pin G is common. I don’t exactly understand how pin B closes the contactor. When I have the 22A connected to my XMT304 I have 24VAC between pin A-B and A-G. I do not have continuity between B and G. I see there is a relay on the board of the 22A that engages when I pull the trigger on the gun. I just can’t wrap my head around it. Thanks. Wade

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller Conversion

On miller welders. pin B is a voltage input supplies voltage to a circuit.
    a simple functional equivalent circuit. think of a relay inside the welder.
    one leg of the relay is connected to circuit common. "G" and the supply voltage comes from pin "A" out to feeder and comes back to "B" other leg of the relay is connected to "B". The Miller Deltaweld is wired this way.
    Place meter on "A" to "B" and read 24 vac. because the meter sees common through the relay coil. No current flow , no voltage drop.
    SO assuming the welder has only a 115 volt supply at weld voltage. you will connect your transformer to that to get your 24vac for the contactor. then you make and brake this voltage to turn the contactor on and off. Now comes the problems. does the welder only produce 115 volts at low speed and and turn it off at weld speed.
    Have a 100Hz plug for weld lights. but your transformer might burn up with that power. If it produces 115 at weld speed, just connecting the transformer might draw enough current to lock the welder in high speed and it will never idle down.
    You need a welder that produces 115 volts at low and high speeds and stays at 60Hz. But these welders with have a remote control receptacle.
    NOT knowing the model you want to do this do can't be anymore help.
    Need full model name and serial number. That way I can see the correct manual.
    Miller has made many different types of engine drive welders. all with different power set ups.

Post Thanks / Like

The machine is a 225G. So the feeder should be putting 24VAC back out to the power source on pin B to trigger the contactor?

Post Thanks / Like

takes the 24vac from pin A and sends it back into the welder on pin B.
    the feeder operates on pin A and G. Both G and K are connected to case ground / neutral connection. but only one is used for the neutral and the other for ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. Ended up I didn’t have a spade terminal connection pushed together. I was surprised how well it actually welds.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist