+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Miller CST 280 won't turn on at all

Post Thanks / Like

My Miller CST 280 won't turn on at all

I bought this machine for 100 bucks through Facebook. The guy said he didn't know what is wrong with it. The machine will not turn on at all. I took the cover off and checked the fuses. The big cartridge fuse on top is blown. Will this fuse cause the machine not to turn on at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Miller CST 280 won't turn on at all

Quote Originally Posted by WelderAaron28 View Post
    I bought this machine for 100 bucks through Facebook. The guy said he didn't know what is wrong with it. The machine will not turn on at all. I took the cover off and checked the fuses. The big cartridge fuse on top is blown. Will this fuse cause the machine not to turn on at all?
    It is possible but very unlikely. Most probably is that you have a cascade board failure. When the caps on the boards fail the fuse will blow. That is my experience with my inverter machines anyway. Mostly Miller AeroWaves(hybrid), and warrantied Dynastys.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

3. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. My HVA-2 fuse will be here tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to take some good hi resolution pics of the boards and their components to post up here... maybe we can spot a problem sometimes it's easy to see defects on certain components and get them fixed before you start burning up more!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WelderAaron28 View Post
    The big cartridge fuse on top is blown. Will this fuse cause the machine not to turn on at all?
    if thats the fuse that goes to the switch in the back under the metal door w/ two phillips screws to select b/t 220 and 480, id bet it would keep it from turning on.

Post Thanks / Like

Tagged CST280

I just bought one on evilbay. Tested all outputs and thank God it all worked fine. My buddy said the local repair shop said these were pretty solid and bulletproof units. Most of the repairs are from dropping them from the lifts.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

8. Likes ronsii, albrightree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Big white fuse, I replace them with the PTC kit from Miller and you never have to replace it again. Fuse blows because the welder is set for 230 and 460 has been applied. The PTC was built into the newer units and the fuse removed.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist