+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Add Tig switch for instant tacking

Post Thanks / Like

Add Tig switch for instant tacking

I would like to add an instant power pulse when I close a switch on my Tig torch.
    Attached is a schematic of my SSC foot control.
    I'm not much with electronics, and would like some advice/help on how to wire a switch to my 17 torch.
    Desired effect is full amps set on machine instantly as if the pedal was "floored", for tacking.
    Appreciate the help.
    (see attachment)

Thanks,
    CG
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Add Tig switch for instant tacking

If you're always going to have the pedal up all the way when tacking then simple thing would be to swap 1 - 3 using a dpdt switch... or most likely a relay so you only need two wires running to the torch... on the other hand if you want to be able to switch full power while you have the pedal at some other position than 0 you'll need to switch both 1 and 3 independently with a DPDT relay to a fixed resistor value appropriate to the position you want... namely 1-2=~1 ohm and 3-2 =~1k ohms

Post Thanks / Like

Set the machine for 2T and put the switch on the red and yellow on machine. Same as the black and white on the pedal.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Set the machine for 2T and put the switch on the red and yellow on machine. Same as the black and white on the pedal.
    That sounds a lot better than my kludge

Post Thanks / Like

You still need to start the gas, just use the pedal.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    You still need to start the gas, just use the pedal.
    You think that the switch isn't going to start the gas just the same way the pedal does ? If the pedal was operating the gas solenoid so will a switch. Your using the exact same two wires the pedal uses to initiate the gas. Only difference is panel amperage control.

You realize the US is about the only place you see so many pedals on tig machines. Most tig welding has actually been done with just a switch. Granted when in 4T they will have upslope and downslope settings possibly to help the switches usefulness.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to you both for the good ideas. I like daniels simple solution, but I'm not comfortable going into the machine electronics. I like Ronsii solution for wiring inside the pedal and no need for a separate torch switch.
    When I hit the pedal it will supply instant power according to the amps I have set on the machine. I plan to mount the switch on the pedal body and reach down and activate it when I want to tack. I have attached a drawing showing how I think the dpdt switch should be wired. Please check and correct if I'm wrong with my logic or wiring.

CG
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping for an answer: Is switch shown wired correctly to reverse pedal action?

Thanks,
    CG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chewinggum View Post
    Thanks to you both for the good ideas. I like daniels simple solution, but I'm not comfortable going into the machine electronics. I like Ronsii solution for wiring inside the pedal and no need for a separate torch switch.
    When I hit the pedal it will supply instant power according to the amps I have set on the machine. I plan to mount the switch on the pedal body and reach down and activate it when I want to tack. I have attached a drawing showing how I think the dpdt switch should be wired. Please check and correct if I'm wrong with my logic or wiring.

CG
    Why would you go in the machine to wire anything. There is a jack on the machine. Make up a torch switch and two wires to a RJ45 plug and plug it in. simply closing 4 and 6 will trigger the machine and the amp setting will be from the machines setting without needing a pedals input for anything.

Switch,
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...witch&_sacat=0
    Jack,
    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...636dc9aca0658c

One more thing,
    Have you ever though about what 5 and 7 are doing. They connect when pedal is connected to the machine. What is that doing ? My guess is it may be switching the machine from panel to remote. The pedal may do what you want it to do by simply separating those two wires.

>>>>>
    Not sure about your DPDT switch wiring. Not following your wiring as what you have drawn will do nothing at all. Taking only two wires to the switch and dead ending it to nowhere would not do anything. You must get the switch before the variable resistors and flip flop them ahead of it.

Two ways to wire that. Either one of these will do what you want.

Last edited by danielplace; 01-11-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by hos_fab; 01-11-2021 at 09:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Daniel, I got it. I made up a RJ45 plug and cable with 4 & 6 to a torch switch. Wouldn't work until I tied 5&7 together. Evidently as you said the machine is looking for that as a remote. Now the switch gives set power on demand instantly.
    Thanks again,
    CG

14. Likes JimboTN liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist