+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade Hobart Handler 187 MIG (Made in USA) to one with fine Volt and Feed controls?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrade Hobart Handler 187 MIG (Made in USA) to one with fine Volt and Feed contr

I’m in the same dilemma as well, I have a HH 190 that has served me well but I’m ready to upgrade. Now it’s just figuring out if I want to go the route of the Hobart Ironman 240 or save up for a Miller 252 or Lincoln 256

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrade Hobart Handler 187 MIG (Made in USA) to one with fine Volt and Feed contr

Quote Originally Posted by AgDawg15 View Post
    I’m in the same dilemma as well, I have a HH 190 that has served me well but I’m ready to upgrade. Now it’s just figuring out if I want to go the route of the Hobart Ironman 240 or save up for a Miller 252 or Lincoln 256
    I have heard several people say that Miller isn't going to be selling the 252 much longer. I hope that isn't true, because it's a fantastic machine, but it wouldn't surprise me. I had one, and planned to keep it for a long time until I got a killer deal on a 350P.

I've run a PowerMIG 256 side-by-side with the MM252 and can honestly say I'm not good enough to see any real difference between them. The one problem I have with Lincoln right now is that they aren't supporting machines for more than about 10 years....after that it's questionable if you'll be able to get parts. On the flip side, I've easily gotten parts for Miller machines that were upwards of 40 years old.

The Ironman 240 sure looks like a non-digital display version of a 252...good chance it's a heck of a welder, and far less expensive than the other two.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

3. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Just saw one of your other posts, where you're welding a frame with a Primeweld. So you already a have a tig/stick machine ? If so, with those two machines, you already have enough machine capablility for the work at hand, you just need a little more practice. Spending $1000 on a new machine isn't going to change much. In fact you will probably have to spend more time just learning the new machine if you did buy a new more complicated one.

On the other hand, I have never seen that Hobart before. I like the price point , $1100 with mig torch , stinger, tig torch , ground, and regulator/ hose 2 consumable kit (mig,tig) ? That's a pretty good price, surprised they didn't show a foot pedal, but it shows a RJ45 connector on the front for a tig pedal.
    It cost over $200 for the connector for my 210mp, and I had to dis-assemble it to install . When I run tig on my 210mp the foot pedal cable comes out the side door, which can't close all the way.

I can only imagine that if its a Hobart product its not a bad machine. It may not be for everyone, but I'm sure they'll sell some .

Good luck with your project,
    Sounds like I have a good machine therefore I will be keeping my Hobart 187 MIG. Yes I do have Primeweld 225x TIG and was considering getting rid of it due to not getting better after lot of practice. Interestingly I changed my glass lens and went back to the stock ceramic long cups and all of sudden I am welding better! This is my latest attempt at welding 90 degrees joint.

Name:  2021-01-16 (9).jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  83.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious what's considered a lot of practice? To be good at welding takes continuous practice and years to get proficient at it.

Post Thanks / Like

The HH 187 I have is my go to welder I keep it loaded with .030 wire. I also have three other welders but the 187 is the one I use the most. Of the other welders I have 1 is the Lincoln tombstone AC/DC which I probably only use a few times a year. The other 2 welders I have are also Hobart mig welders one is the HH 175 I have had since probably 2004 or 2005 it works good but I just keep it loaded with .024 wire for welding thin metal. The last of my welders is a 110 -120 volt HH 130 auto set, I just use for flux core welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    I would consider that a DOWNgrade from the HH187...unless all you're interested in is the flashy DRO.
    The MIG portion of the Multi Handler 200 isnt going to be a down grade to a Handler 187. The 200 is going to offer a much higher level of adjustability. The 200 also offers significantly more top end power. Ran a little bit of spray arc at around 180 amps with the 200 the other day. The HH 187 doesn't offer near enough output power to do this. Probably could have got a solid spray arc at 200 amps too, but I had no interest in pushing the machine that hard.
    Haven't ran a 187 in a while, but from what I remember the 187 has a little nicer C25 arc. I suspect most will like the crisp arc of the 200.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist