+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pure Tungesten

Post Thanks / Like

Pure Tungesten

Last night I had to change my tungsten and grabbed what I though was the same rod - found out rather quickly it wasn't. After looking at the packaging seems it was a pure tungsten rod and not the lanthenated I was/do use. Mind you - I'm a hobby hack - so I have a much larger collection than needed of various sizes/types (apparently) - in researching see it's basically mostly used for Aluminum? or AC - at least in the material online I've found - which made a lot of sense in what happened hitting the pedal. So - I'll be putting that package of 10 options in the back corner of my supply drawer - when I've done aluminum I've used lanthenated and been happy - again - a hobby guy anyway.

Is there any other use for these pure tungsten rods? I believe I bought them years ago in a flurry of hastily consumables ordering....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pure Tungesten

Pure tungsten is generally only used for AC aluminum with transformer machines. It's not well suited to almost anything else...even AC on an inverter. You can use 2% lanthanated on anything a hobby welder (like me) is going to do, but 2% thoriated (red) are very nice on steel and are often inexpensive, and easy to find.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

3. Likes Kevin_Essiambre, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any pure tungsten I gather goes in a box to go to the scrap yard. Pure had it's place 25+ yrs ago but times change, there are much better tungsten choices now.

Post Thanks / Like

Well you could use it up. Only thing that happens is it will ball back rather quickly. Sharpen one end and keep rotating until used up. Also depends on your equipment. I have some green and used it with "Zank's Krazee" program entered in my Dynasty350s and 700. The DCEP cycle is so short it keeps the point sharp.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

jfk92,
    i use green/pure tungsten pretty much exclusively on AC, in aluminum on a Dynasty 300DX and it works great.

My method is to use the 'next size up' electrode so the end domes instead of getting a full light bulb sphere with sides larger than the diameter of the electrode.

The finer/narrower/smaller arc cone wetting area, in AC, comes from a blunter shaped tungsten end. Conversely, a sharpened point will have a pretty wide arc cone than ( counter-intuitively IMO) a domed tungsten; add lots of hi-freq pulse (not variable amplitude timing pulses) and it makes for a very narrow bead with great control.

You're welcome to send me all that 'junk yard scrap' tungsten and I'll put it to good use?

Seriously though, it works fine on AC in aluminum. I'm about the only guy at our LWS that orders/buys/uses 5/32" pure tungsten? That runs 300Amps of AC just fine but it will spherically ball a 1/8" electrode at the same settings in the same materials.

Just a little bit more info about tungsten alloys' uses and applications.

cheers,
    Kevin

8. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Well you could use it up. Only thing that happens is it will ball back rather quickly. Sharpen one end and keep rotating until used up.
    Or put a sharp point on them and use them as scribes.

10. Likes ronsii, shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These electrodes form a clean, balled tip when heated and provide great arc stability for AC welding with a balanced wave. Pure tungsten also provides good arc stability for AC sine wave welding, especially on aluminum and magnesium.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist