+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helmet question

Post Thanks / Like

Helmet question

Hey all,

Used the search function, but I don't see my particular issue so I am asking.
    Home welder. MIG, Stick, TIG and do some plasma cutting.
    I currently have a Miller Digital Infinity the at I use. I like it OK, but in weld and X mode it seems to take a long time to transition from dark to light when I am using the stick. What I mean is that when I strike, the lens goes black and remains that way for probably 1-2 seconds. Tough to weld anything if you can't see the work.
    When plasma cutting in cut mode, it will randomly go to full dark for a second or two then back to shade 5 which is the lightest cut setting.
    I have changed batteries, cleaned the sensors on the front and changed front plastic for new. Is this just a Miller quirk or do I have a bad lens.
    I bought it used for $125 about a year ago, so if it's time to replace, so be it. I never get flashed doing MIG or Stick. Too new at TIG to know if it does it. Have played with sensitivity and delay with no success.

Neighbor has a like new Speedglass 9100XX! for $200. Should I just go to that?

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Helmet question

That is not the way mine works. Sounds like you need a new lens. Might give a try calling miller tech support. First maybe try dialing all the delay and sensitivity setting to minimum and then maximum to see if it has any effect. Personally, I only use X mode outdoors, and I almost never use grind mode.

Post Thanks / Like

The delay timer is specifically for the time it takes to go from dark to light. If its not making any difference then it does sound like there's a problem

The Speedglas 9100XX is a very, very good hood, its very ergonomic, and very durable too. Industry-standard over here for MIG, TIG and stick, especially in air-fed versions.

The newer XXi filter is true colour and brings it up to date with the latest tech from Optrel, Viking etc.

Post Thanks / Like

the Speedglass would be a good deal since a replacement lens for the Miller is more than $200.00 :0
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Bought the Speedglass. Will try that later today.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist