+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Laser welder machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Laser welder machine?

Was watching some welding videos last night on YouTube and saw an ad with this welding setup.

I can't find anything on a price yet, but the welding they show in the video may be a game changer for some industries if they become affordable, especially where sheet metal is used. Is this our future?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2. Likes Guardian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Laser welder machine?

Laser welding/cutting has been in industrial use since the 1980's. Mostly reserverd for CNC set ups with multiple repetitions. I was involved with setting up a PRC(CO2) laser for an Air Bag company at on old Cessna factory in Boonton NJ . I'm sure they've made improvements, and cost savings on the laser, and fiber optics. We had trouble getting a consistent weld with the stainless can on the inflater module being reflective. Some of the welds were done with miller pulsed tig power supply that got hooked up to a "286" powered PC. The biggest challenge was to not detonate the propellant from the heat of the weld soaking into the inflator module which was stainless. During the first trials with the tig alone, we would weld the module , and then wait 10 minutes to see if the module detonated oops the correct term at the time was "deployed"(many did). Laser welds were chosen for the lowest overall heat input of all processes. It was required that the device be completely sealed.They didn't want people to be able to easily cut open the module and extract the propellant(sodium azide). Welds were checked/qualified by (on empty units) cut polish etch, as well as what they called "hydroburst" test. There are many industrial uses for Lasers, but there is a cost. If you are involved in medical, or food grade manufacturing I think you may be seeing more of these. It used to be that automation, and specialty processes weren't cost effictive until the quantities were in the millions. Now with the price of automation dropping, the return on investment is now in the 100-1000 quantity. No, I don't think we'll be replaced by robots anytime soon

I don't think will be seeing these at tractor supply any time soon either. Then again, they have one(laser) on TV that's hooked up to a smallCNC table called "glowforge"? , the 21st century version of woodburning/leather craft.

So you never know...
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

4. Likes Lis2323, ronsii, WenValley, Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of this bit from one of Dave Barry's humorous newspaper columns:

In the past decade, scientists have developed the laser, an electronic device so powerful that it can vaporize a bulldozer at 2000 yards, yet so precise that doctors can use it to perform delicate operations on the human eyeball, provided they remember to change the power setting from "bulldozer" to "eyeball".
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

No.58 Guidan Xi Road, Danzao Town, Nanhai District, Foshan City, GuangDong Province, China.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is called handheld laser welding. The main features are as follows:

1. Easy to operate
    2. Laser head single pendulum or double pendulum
    3. The workpiece has low heat input and small deformation
    4. No need to grind after welding
    5. High welding efficiency

The video above may have several questions about handheld laser welding machines, let's take a look:

1. Power problem, 1500W? If the power is so high, the conventional model is 10 times that of it
    2. Wire feeding problem, where is this wire feeder for hand-held laser welding?
    3. Cooling problem, where are the most core components? Laser welding is to process electric to laser welding, which will generate a lot of heat, because the laser generator and the laser gun head are all cooled, air-cooled or water-cooled, 1500W is usually cooled by a water-cooled machine, then there will be cold water inside the machine. machine? The size of our 1500W handheld laser welder is 950mmx550mmx1100mm
    Jory

Foshan Longxin Laser Technology Co., Ltd.
    Email: info@longxin<span style="font-family...ser.com</span>; Site:longxinlaser.com

No.58 Guidan Xi Road, Danzao Town, Nanhai District, Foshan City, GuangDong Province, China.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bplayer405 View Post
    Was watching some welding videos last night on YouTube and saw an ad with this welding setup.

I can't find anything on a price yet, but the welding they show in the video may be a game changer for some industries if they become affordable, especially where sheet metal is used. Is this our future?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Entry point for this welder is $20,000.
    IPG Photonics

so, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'll never be able to afford it.

And for those who care, it is a Russian owned company. Not trying to turn this political - just adding what I was able to find on the company when I did the price search.
    Last edited by Dave66; 03-30-2022 at 06:47 AM.
    Dave66
    =================
    Millermatic 211 (Transformer Based)
    Primeweld TIG 225X

8. Likes CAVEMANN, Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yabbut, it'll solve global warming!
    It'll repair the hole in the ozone!
    It'll have the power company sending money to YOU!
    It'll run for 25,000 batrillion years on ONE teaspoon of seawater!
    It'll wash your car as you're driving it home to work!
    It slices! It dices! It chops! It grinds! It removes embarrassing stains from contour sheets! And it's only a dolla...step right up!

10. Likes N2 Welding, Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine the size laser I would need in my line of work.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A/OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000
    Ingersoll Rand T-30-14hp-25cfm
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

12. Likes whtbaron, Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Yabbut, it'll solve global warming!
    It'll repair the hole in the ozone!
    It'll have the power company sending money to YOU!
    It'll run for 25,000 batrillion years on ONE teaspoon of seawater!
    It'll wash your car as you're driving it home to work!
    It slices! It dices! It chops! It grinds! It removes embarrassing stains from contour sheets! And it's only a dolla...step right up!
    Will it fix the crack of dawn?
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

14. Likes Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Will it fix the crack of dawn?
    Who is Dawn and do you have pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Attached is a photo of a speed sensor for a GE gas turbine that goes in a helicopter.

(The shiny, silver looking thing,, NOT the bottle shaped thing!! )

The speed sensor counts how many turbine blades go by, and the result is the rotational speed of the engine.

There are at least 5 laser welds,, four visible, one more on the end.

This speed sensor was made in 1979, I was the manufacturing engineer for the area that made these.

The unit also has a vacuum furnace brazed joint.

We were developing another CNC laser welding machine for welding the speed sensor that went in the NEW at the time 757 Boeing jet.
    I personally laser welded the 5 speed sensors of the first ever batch. They went in a Rolls Royce engine.

(Boeing had GE make the speed sensors, and thermocouples for the Rolls Royce engines, I always thought that was a dumb business practice, for Rolls Royce)

I finished welding the sensors at 6PM on a Friday afternoon near Boston MA.
    Saturday, the next day, the 757 flew for the first time, on the west coast, somewhere.

When I completed the welding, I carried the sensors down to the plant gate in an empty cardboard COKE bottle tray looking box,
    there, waiting, was a stretch limo, with a driver standing next to the front fender.

I handed them to him, and off he went, to the airport in Boston, with the speed sensors on the back seat.
    Later, I heard that there was a jet at Logan airport, engines running, waiting for the limo, and speed sensors to arrive.

It seemed to me that they did not have time to test the finished speed sensors, they slapped them on the engines, and flew (no passengers, just crew)
    I remember thinking,,, they SURE TRUSTED my first ever laser welding!! LOL!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

The laser we were using in 1979 used capacitors to power the laser.
    There was at least a dozen capacitors in a large enclosure, EACH capacitor was as large as two Jerry cans (military gas cans)

To change the output power of the laser, you had to open the case, and remove or install copper buss bars that were bolted to the capacitors.
    (Probably each capacitor was capable of killing more than a dozen people)

Well, the capacitors were supposedly connected so that they would discharge before the door to the cabinet could be opened.
    After the door was opened, there was a wand that looked like Luke Skywalkers light sabre, with a #2 copper wire connected.
    You had to touch each terminal to make sure everything was discharged.
    I had a second wire that I would test each joint a second time, just to make sure the light sabre looking thing was not broke.

I never saw a spark, the auto-discharge always worked,, but, I know I was sweating, every time I had to change the power level,,,,

18. Likes Kelvin, whtbaron, Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Laser welding has pretty much taken over 75% of the tool and die repair industry. Only idiots like me still TIG weld tool steels (seriously though there is still plenty TIG welded, but laser is prevalent).

However it’s an easy way to spend quarter of a million dollars to buy a machine to do it.

20. Likes Kelvin, LtBadd, Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    There was at least a dozen capacitors in a large enclosure, EACH capacitor was as large as two Jerry cans (military gas cans)
    My "outie" turns into an "innie" just imagining that.

You first!

22. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The laser we were using in 1979 used capacitors to power the laser.

To change the output power of the laser, you had to open the case, and remove or install copper buss bars that were bolted to the capacitors.
    (Probably each capacitor was capable of killing more than a dozen people)

Well, the capacitors were supposedly connected so that they would discharge before the door to the cabinet could be opened.
    After the door was opened, there was a wand that looked like Luke Skywalkers light sabre, with a #2 copper wire connected.
    You had to touch each terminal to make sure everything was discharged.
    I had a second wire that I would test each joint a second time, just to make sure the light sabre looking thing was not broke.

I never saw a spark, the auto-discharge always worked,, but, I know I was sweating, every time I had to change the power level,,,,
    Hi, how long have you not used laser welding machine? let's have a look at new generation of laser welding
    1, handheld laser welding machine, easy to weld
    2, desktop galvo laser welding machine,,(semi-automatic, automatic welding according to the set program), but you need to manually install the artifact every time
    3, menchancial arm laser welding, 100% fully automatic

The power of laser can be adjusted from 0 to 100% on touch panel
    Jory

Foshan Longxin Laser Technology Co., Ltd.
    Email: info@longxin<span style="font-family...ser.com</span>; Site:longxinlaser.com

24. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Austin Powers “ The Spy Who Shagged me “ comes to mind. The scene with the fembots but instead of gun powder barrels in the breasts it would be laser guns adapted to do things ranging from eye surgery, to welding up all kinds of materials like plastic, metal etc and the obvious assasinations It’s just a matter of time. Wouldn’t that be something. A fembot Doctor performing an eye surgery and burning off skin cancer all in the same visit and the kicker is you get to assist in holding the Lasers lol. You have to squeeze the breasts to adjust the settings
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 04-01-2022 at 01:20 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

26. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Auric Goldfinger had a pretty powerful laser,, it could burn through a gold sheet,,,,,,,,, in the year 1964.

I would imagine that gold is a laser's "Kryptonite",, due to the extreme reflectivity of gold, as well as the density.

That laser burned right through a gold sheet for James Bond.

Hmmmmmmm,,

Last edited by SweetMK; 04-01-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Austin Powers “ The Spy Who Shagged me “ comes to mind. The scene with the fembots but instead of gun powder barrels in the breasts it would be laser guns adapted to do things ranging from eye surgery, to welding up all kinds of materials like plastic, metal etc and the obvious assasinations It’s just a matter of time. Wouldn’t that be something. A fembot Doctor performing an eye surgery and burning off skin cancer all in the same visit and the kicker is you get to assist in holding the Lasers lol. You have to squeeze the breasts to adjust the settings
    Oh I just thought of something. The robots are coming thread, fembot laser tata’s doctors are coming to replace doctors.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

29. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

" The scene may be simple, but the technology in it was anything but.
    The laser was so new at the time of the film’s release that even scientists were struggling to come up with practical applications.
    And most people who would be paying to see
    Goldfinger would have likely not even heard of it. That’s why Maibaum included some crystal-clear exposition near the beginning of the scene.

“You are looking at an industrial laser, which admits an extraordinary light not to be found in nature.
    It can project a spot on the moon, or at closer range, cut through solid metal. I will show you,”
    "

31. Likes Jory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Laser welding systems are now used in many fields to efficiently, economically, and contactlessly make high-quality joints. They result in flawless seams in metal plates, plastic components, jewelry, and even building components.
    The laser welding equipment available from Reaying Laser meets all of these demands while flexibly permitting highly customized work. These systems are therefore ideal for virtually any manufacturing task. The professional-grade laser welding equipment presented in our catalog includes ten different systems that are tailored to meet specific industrial needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by george1 View Post
    laser welding systems are now used in many fields to efficiently, economically, and contactlessly make high-quality joints. They result in flawless seams in metal plates, plastic components, jewelry, and even building components.
    The laser welding equipment available from reaying laser meets all of these demands while flexibly permitting highly customized work. These systems are therefore ideal for virtually any manufacturing task. The professional-grade laser welding equipment presented in our catalog includes ten different systems that are tailored to meet specific industrial needs.
    spam!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

34. Likes NotaVegetarian, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't the weld and haz need shielding during cooling?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by George1 View Post
    Laser welding systems are now used in many fields to efficiently, economically, and contactlessly make high-quality joints. They result in flawless seams in metal plates, plastic components, jewelry, and even building components.
    The laser welding equipment available from Reaying Laser meets all of these demands while flexibly permitting highly customized work. These systems are therefore ideal for virtually any manufacturing task. The professional-grade laser welding equipment presented in our catalog includes ten different systems that are tailored to meet specific industrial needs.
    What kind of laser? The one in the old video seemed liked a multi led pumped Nd:YAG. I don't know

Post Thanks / Like

" The scene may be simple, but the technology in it was anything but.
    The laser...

“You are looking at an industrial laser, which admits an extraordinary light not to be found in nature.
    It can project a spot on the moon, or at closer range, cut through solid metal. I will show you,”
    "
    I knew a professor that worked at Keck observatory. He said they used two lasers to measure epigee/apogee One if I recall was CO2 laser to ionize a hole in stratosphere and I think Argon laser to bounce the beam off of retroreflectors left by astronauts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William Payne View Post
    Laser welding has pretty much taken over 75% of the tool and die repair industry. Only idiots like me still TIG weld tool steels (seriously though there is still plenty TIG welded, but laser is prevalent).

However it’s an easy way to spend quarter of a million dollars to buy a machine to do it.
    What kind of laser ? Excimer or CO2?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist