+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: want used welding hose ferrule crimping tool

Post Thanks / Like

want used welding hose ferrule crimping tool

I bought a new Western Enterprises crimping tool from McMaster-Carr and it is just garbage! Half the hoses I'm crimping fly right off the barb!

I'm done with that. I'm looking for an older US made crimping tool. One that says Petersen on the side. Right now I'm trying to crimp 1/4" ID hoses that are 1/2" OD.

If you want to sell me one, please send me a private message, thanks!

metalmagpie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: want used welding hose ferrule crimping tool

I have one like you describe and have never had a problem with it.All it says on it is "C 1" Or maybe "C I". How much PSI are you running?
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

The hoses should stay on the batbs without the ferrule. You may be using the wrong barbs for the hose.

4. Likes mla2ofus, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have one. Around 20 yrs old. No issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    I have one like you describe and have never had a problem with it.All it says on it is "C 1" Or maybe "C I". How much PSI are you running?
    I'm using a no. 5 Koike divergent tip 106D7 for oxypropane. The tip chart calls out 100 psi cutting oxygen for 2.5" plate. I measured the pressure at the torch yesterday with the oxygen stream flowing and it was only 80psi. So I turned up the regulator to make it 100 psi at the torch. It turned out to be 120 psi at the regulator.

metalmagpie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    The hoses should stay on the barbs without the ferrule. You may be using the wrong barbs for the hose.
    I don't know. The hoses that are a problem are the ones on my swingarm. I had big problems with hoses binding so the swingarm wouldn't move freely enough, so I made up some hoses from 1/4" ID Tygon. The hoses are very flexible. But I don't know if barbs on Western Enterprises fittings are best for Tygon.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I called McMaster and they refunded the price of the clamp and said they didn't want the tool back. So I still like them as a vendor.

metalmagpie

Post Thanks / Like

i dont have too good a luck w/ any crimpers either. sounds like u handled it though. i know a guy, who has two half U blocks, that u pound w/ hammer, kida like a die. i use wire or hose clamps to get outa a jam.

i used to work at this family shop in the smoky mountains when i was a kid, (real nice family). anyway, the great gramps, didnt build that tool for hoses, he built it for customers who didnt pay there bill. he put the wire around there u know what, and tightened it a lil more each day. if they still didnt pay, great gramps layed them down on the welding table, and dimemebered them w/ them tools hanging on the wall, then fed them to the hogs. anything left over, got dumped down old abandoned wells, in the nearby canyon. the grandson is obviously stoned, and gramps dont even know it. the phone ringing was gramps wife wondering where he's been , but his office sexetary took care of it on second ring

Last edited by 123weld; 01-14-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    I'm using a no. 5 Koike divergent tip 106D7 for oxypropane. The tip chart calls out 100 psi cutting oxygen for 2.5" plate. I measured the pressure at the torch yesterday with the oxygen stream flowing and it was only 80psi. So I turned up the regulator to make it 100 psi at the torch. It turned out to be 120 psi at the regulator.

metalmagpie
    Pretty common to have more pressure at the reg than at the tip but you are doing it right. Often table guys go to 3/8 ID hose but it will work well the way you have it. I have a couple C1 Vise grip style crimpers but I always liked the one that you hit with a hammer better. Good Luck !
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Since this is stationery and not getting dragged all over the shop how about using the small worm drive clamps?
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

My C 1's work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    My C 1's work fine.
    I believe you. If you look closely, a crimp done with that tool would have 4 ridges standing out from the ferrule. That same tool today is made differently. A crimp made with the tool sold today would have 2 dimples, one on each side. If you look closely the ends of the two half-blocks don't even line up. And, worse, it's made in the USA according to the packaging.

metalmagpie

Post Thanks / Like

I have an extra. Still new in the box. PM me your address and I’ll ship it out to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i dont have too good a luck w/ any crimpers either. sounds like u handled it though. i know a guy, who has two half U blocks, that u pound w/ hammer, kida like a die. i use wire or hose clamps to get outa a jam.
    I've seen that wire clamp idea before. I even made up a tool to try it once. It kind of works, but I wouldn't want to risk it on a real welding hose.

Maybe I'll make one of those two-block ones, see if I can do a better job than they did.

metalmagpie

Post Thanks / Like

Just FYI, max pressure for that tubing is 62psi, and that is at 73* F. Add the heat of the cutting operation and you are probably maxed out at 15 pounds or so.

Post Thanks / Like

I much prefer the Oetiker O-clamps over the crimped brass ferules. Never had one come apart.

https://www.coastalhydraulics.net/te...it%20Flyer.pdf
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 01-15-2021 at 02:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Lis2323;8793716]My C 1's work fine.

That's similar to my kit. Mine has an Original Vise Grip Crimper. Name:  FD3A1032-957B-4523-A62E-3D9821FFD320.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  135.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I much prefer the Oetiker O-clamps over the crimped brass ferules.

https://www.coastalhydraulics.net/te...it%20Flyer.pdf
    Same. But ferrules are nice to make everything look OEM tho.

SHOULD have used ferrules here (regulator end)....

Last edited by Lis2323; 01-15-2021 at 09:51 AM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    I have a couple C1 Vise grip style crimpers but I always liked the one that you hit with a hammer better. Good Luck !
    I believe you. If you look closely, a crimp done with that tool would have 4 ridges standing out from the ferrule. That same tool today is made differently. A crimp made with the tool sold today would have 2 dimples, one on each side. If you look closely the ends of the two half-blocks don't even line up. And, worse, it's made in the USA according to the packaging.

metalmagpie

Well WTF! I just went to the shop to ship one out to you but on a whim I took the new one out of the sealed box to look at it. I have NO idea why I did that.

They are not only different in overall dimensions and color ( no big deal obviously) but one has raised (male) extrusions and the other has dimples (female). Same C-1 part number.

Maybe @Rondo can shed some light on this.

Your choice....

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Well WTF! I just went to the shop to ship one out to you but on a whim I took the new one out of the sealed box to look at it. I have NO idea why I did that.

They are not only different in overall dimensions and color ( no big deal obviously) but one has raised (male) extrusions and the other has dimples (female). Same C-1 part number.

Maybe @Rondo can shed some light on this.

Your choice....

Name:  Hose Kit.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  113.0 KB This is one of the kits from Weldcote Metals. They use the inner dimples. I still like the hammer ones best.
    Last edited by Rondo; 01-15-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

I use hose clamps.
    I seen shop made ones they just drill hole in flat bar and weld to bar hole in place. Easy to use hit harmer. I have hit Vise-Grip ones did not work as shop made.
    But crimp on type is pain to remove and it is one time use.
    So I started using hose clamps from automotive store.

Dave

I bought a new Western Enterprises crimping tool from McMaster-Carr and it is just garbage! Half the hoses I'm crimping fly right off the barb!

I'm done with that. I'm looking for an older US made crimping tool. One that says Petersen on the side. Right now I'm trying to crimp 1/4" ID hoses that are 1/2" OD.

If you want to sell me one, please send me a private message, thanks!

metalmagpie

Post Thanks / Like

I am about to purchase a kit for oxy/fuel and one for inert. Can I get some opinions on which is more preferred, a new kit with vice grip or hammer?
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I am about to purchase a kit for oxy/fuel and one for inert. Can I get some opinions on which is more preferred, a new kit with vice grip or hammer?
    I've only used the hammer type. One would think a long handled swage type tool similar to one used connectors for wire rope would work best.

I also like using
    Oetiker clamps like WelderDave mentioned.

I dislike gear type clamps for this application. Even when when using the optimum size there's always that "tail"hanging out.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post

i used to work at this family shop in the smoky mountains when i was a kid, (real nice family). anyway, the great gramps, didnt build that tool for hoses, he built it for customers who didnt pay there bill. he put the wire around there u know what, and tightened it a lil more each day. if they still didnt pay, great gramps layed them down on the welding table, and dimemebered them w/ them tools hanging on the wall, then fed them to the hogs. anything left over, got dumped down old abandoned wells, in the nearby canyon. the grandson is obviously stoned, and gramps dont even know it. the phone ringing was gramps wife wondering where he's been , but his office sexetary took care of it on second ring

We did that in the breaker with rebar wire and Klein pliers years ago....OSHA and MSHA probaly wouldnt like it anymore

26. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Hammer

28. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist