+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lincoln Idealarc TM300/300 arc voltage

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lincoln Idealarc TM300/300 arc voltage

hi guys, so I just bought an Idealarc TM300/300 in really nice shape. I bought it to start doing some gouging work and also running some larger hard-facing rods. I have been trying to find the arc voltage for this model without success for the gouging work. I have the operators manual, and have searched the Lincoln web site, and yet there is no info around the arc voltage. The OCV is listed, but not the voltage for welding. Anyone have any info on this?

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln Idealarc TM300/300 arc voltage

Arc voltage: 40 volts

Brochure/specs here: https://archive.org/details/LincolnA...ge/n3/mode/2up

There's different view options and download options. Here's a link to the PDF: https://ia800101.us.archive.org/12/i...0Models%20.pdf

Now, ask me a hard question.

Beauty pic:

Name:  lincoln TM.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  51.3 KB
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

3. Likes tom fleming, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, so the OCV is 75v and the actual arc voltage is 40v? If that is the case, then this is not an appropriate machine for gouging, as the Arc Air documentation indicates a minimum of 60 arc volts. Disappointing, as I was hoping to do some gouging with this. Thank you very much for the quick and good response!

PS: Here's the hard question: so, how will an Arc Air K4000 torch behave on 40V arc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom fleming View Post
    ok, so the OCV is 75v and the actual arc voltage is 40v? If that is the case, then this is not an appropriate machine for gouging, as the Arc Air documentation indicates a minimum of 60 arc volts. Disappointing, as I was hoping to do some gouging with this. Thank you very much for the quick and good response!

PS: Here's the hard question: so, how will an Arc Air K4000 torch behave on 40V arc?
    Saw this Red-D-Arc blurb: "Single-phase machines with low open-circuit voltage may not work for air carbon arc gouging (CAC-A). However, any three-phase welding power source of sufficient capacity may be used for air carbon arc gouging. The arc voltage used in air carbon arc gouging and cutting ranges from a low of 35 to a high of 56 volts; thus the open-circuit voltage should be at least 60 volts. The actual arc voltage is governed by arc length and the type of gouging." https://www.red-d-arc.com/pdf/Air%20...ing%20Data.pdf

Somehow I think they are rather high on the arc voltage, especially if one is holding a short arc for gouging, as noted here in the Arcair K4000 manual.

Name:  arcair.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  19.5 KB

300 amps isn't much for gouging. The Miller Dimension 650 has a gouge mode - 815 A at 44 VDC and OCV of 65V or 79V depending on input voltage.
    SP-175 +
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Miller spot welder

6. Likes tom fleming, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, thank you for the response. I don't plan on doing heavy duty gouging, more like 1/4" or 1/8" rods to clean up truck frames and such. I use a scarfing tip on the oxy-acetylene right now, and was hoping to accomplish similar or better with the gouge. I truly do appreciate the response. I guess I'll just have to try it. It will either work or it won't. I didn't pay that much for the unit, and it definitely will help out when I am doing moderate to light hardfacing. thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

If it works, just keep the duty cycle really low. Gouging is hard on a welder. Let us know how it works out.

I want to play with an oxygen lance (NOT)!

Name:  burning-lance-uses2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  362.1 KB
    SP-175 +
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Miller spot welder

9. Likes tom fleming, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just match the carbon rod size to the available amps and then keep an eye on the duty cycle limits. stop every few minutes and let the welder cool.
    Should be a chart with the torch listing amps needed for different rod sizes.
    I would use a 200 amp rod on a 300 amp machine. This shouldn't stress the welder much. What really kills a welder would be using a 500 amp rod on a 300 amp machine. I had a customer that used a 2000 amp rod on a 1500 amp welder.
    But they were not holding the arc on very long. used it to blow extra metal off the edge of new castings before grinding. AND they still killed the diodes. until I added an extra one. The miller cp/cc 1500 has 36 diodes. 6 in parallel on 6 plates.
    added one more diode to each plate. diodes didn't short out after that.

11. Likes tom fleming liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist