+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stinger of choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Stinger of choice?

Hello everybody. What electrode holders are everyone using and why? I’ve pretty much only used the twist lock euro style ones here in New Zealand as they are very common. I like the look of the lever clamp style ones. They look like they would be really handy for quickly releasing and changing electrodes.
    Gear: Esab power compact 205 with tbi industries torch
    BOC Smootharc 185dc tig
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stinger of choice?

I use the clamp style. Mostly because that is what work buys. At home the same. I know some in the trades might use the twist lock and bend the rod to the angle needed, mostly to see I guess? I never saw the need for doing that. But however you learned is how you weld.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that always annoyed me about the twist lock style is that if you get a stuck rod you can’t just quickly release the clamp at least not as quickly as a lever clamp.
    BOC Smootharc 185dc tig
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX

Post Thanks / Like

I have a collection. But the one I grab most of the time is a Lenco AF-2. Most of my welding is with 5/32" and under electrodes, so I like the compactness of this stinger.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

I like tweeco holders. I just got a newer tweeco Tong holder Im liking a lot too. Id like to try a stinger V for outside jobs.. Ive tried twist lock holders and hated them. Used one on a pipe job once and just despised it..Thats personal preference though

Post Thanks / Like

It seems pipeline guys like the Tweco tong type and shop guys prefer the Bernard short stub twist style. I prefer the Bernard style. Easy to bend mild steel rods in the best position for welding and the round handle is nicer to hold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    It seems pipeline guys like the Tweco tong type and shop guys prefer the Bernard short stub twist style. I prefer the Bernard style. Easy to bend mild steel rods in the best position for welding and the round handle is nicer to hold.
    I don’t do much stick but I’m tempted to get a few holders to try out as they are so (comparatively) cheap. I’d lover to try one of the Stinger-V brand ones.
    BOC Smootharc 185dc tig
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX

Post Thanks / Like

With stingers you get what you pay for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    With stingers you get what you pay for.
    Well compared to good TIG/Mig torches the good ones are nicely priced at least compared to what I pay here in New Zealand.
    BOC Smootharc 185dc tig
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William Payne View Post
    The thing that always annoyed me about the twist lock style is that if you get a stuck rod you can’t just quickly release the clamp at least not as quickly as a lever clamp.
    In my experience with Bernard Short-Stubs, they come undone pretty fast. If you thrash the stinger around, the top unscrews enough to unclamp the rod, and out it comes.

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have gone to the twist type stinger due to my hands not being able to squeeze the spring type, I don't like when I stick a rod because it's not easy to unstick.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care for the twist lock, I don't like having to bend every rod, it takes longer to change electrodes, nd if you burn one too short sometimes difficult to remove. Stinger V are really nice and will not let go of the rod.
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

15. Likes KYBOY, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I have a collection. But the one I grab most of the time is a Lenco AF-2. Most of my welding is with 5/32" and under electrodes, so I like the compactness of this stinger.
    yep, same reasons. have 200's 250s and 300s also, i can flick rod stubs out of them accurately at a bucket - long shots

17. Likes Stick-man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clamp style here

Post Thanks / Like

Before my hands got so bad I would often put the rod in the end of the stinger, throw the lead over my shoulder and hold the stinger much like a pencil or pen.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

20. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is that collection thread. It grew a bit, but no current pics

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...ght=collection
    Last edited by Stick-man; 01-18-2021 at 12:55 AM.
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Before my hands got so bad I would often put the rod in the end of the stinger, throw the lead over my shoulder and hold the stinger much like a pencil or pen.
    I worked with a old-timer that did that 40 years ago. He was an amazing welder and one hell of a teacher.
    He always stuck the rod straight in the end and then bend over to his liking.
    He said most Jobsite holders were wornout and gripping rod was a joke. He would used the end because nobody else would.
    When he was young he was a ship welder.
    He welded only bulkheads because his welds were beautiful. It was all 6010 5P back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist