Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yesterday afternoon I taught myself to mig aluminium.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yesterday afternoon I taught myself to mig aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by hovasacc View Post
    5356 wire leaves a black soot due to magnesium content and spray transfer requires at least 25 volts and is only good for thick material. My welder tops out at 25 volts and the material I was welding was 1.5mm and 3mm thick. It appears you all missed those two little facts. So much for all the expert opinions.

Perhaps you should all consider different vocations, welding is just not your thing apparently. Then again, you are Americans, the people who voted in a lunatic and then ransacked your own capitol building.
    You truly are a piece of work. Maybe UV exposure cooked your brain, providing there was much there to start with. I'll give you some professional advice, get your own shlt together before you start bashing those that offer advice. Maybe sticking to scrounging driftwood is something your more suited for given your choice of welding apparel. Lastly you know even less about our nation and it's doings than you know about welding( which isn't much).
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Thanks / Like

5356 wire leaves a black soot due to magnesium content and spray transfer requires at least 25 volts and is only good for thick material. My welder tops out at 25 volts and the material I was welding was 1.5mm and 3mm thick. It appears you all missed those two little facts. So much for all the expert opinions.

Perhaps you should all consider different vocations, welding is just not your thing apparently. Then again, you are Americans, the people who voted in a lunatic and then ransacked your own capitol building.
    Relax Francis, you did not include those facts in your original post, only later when you posted up the photo of the bike. So yeah, people may have missed that info.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Is that you, Bonzoo?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting responses, why did you post on here if you don't even like the people on it?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

5. Likes Lis2323, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, and welcome to the group. On the 25 volts you are only partly correct. Depends on wire diameter and gas composition(argon and helium, or just argon). The smaller the diameter, the less voltage it takes go into spray. And remember that the magnesium in 5356 give it exothermic energy in the arc. There is no reason not to go into spray with 20 volts.
    There is no reason not to be able to weld 1/8" sheet with 1.2mm wire and a whip motion. Add pulse and you can go even thinner.

Could also be your equipment needs calibration. What make and model is it?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

7. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You bozos are incorrect on all counts. The pictures clearly show thin material and I did mention that I was welding 1.5mm thick material. I think I'd believe Millers before you lot.

As for your nation, it's on the media all around the world what you bozoz did to your capitol. And let's not forget all the stupid posts your leader posted on Twitter. One doesn't really have to know much about your nation to realize it is stuffed.

You enslaved a race of people because you see black as inferior. In 1861 you declared war on yourselves, how stupid are you. You declared war on North Korea, couldn't beat some piss ant country so you laid your weapons down and walked away. Then you invaded Vietnam, destroyed the country then got your arses kicked and ran away with your tails between your legs. You doctored intelligence so you could invade Iraq to secure your oil supplies. As if that is not enough, your agencies continually interfere with other country's internal politics so they will be more American friendly. You allow your law enforcement agencies to wage war on sections of the community because they are black, kill innocent people and fail to make amends. You are not the good guys, you are the truly evil ones!

Post Thanks / Like

Since I have worked with Aluminium MIG in the past, I know for a fact that 1mm 5356 wire goes into a clean spray transfer at a true, calibrated 22-23 volts on an inverter MIG (3 machines in fact - a Miller, a Lincoln, and a Lorch).
    Now looking back a little further, I'm sure the Lincoln machine was running both 4043 and 1080 wire, 1.2mm, and entered spray transfer at 24 volts (because we ran it around 300 amps at 25.5-26v, and it was HOT!)

Not sure what machine you're using, but it sounds like it has a bit of voltage droop.

You've welded some thin bits of metal together on a cold MIG setting. Is it a sound weld? you know the difference between good and bad MIG isn't generally visual?

It's commonly accepted that getting a sound MIG weld on less than 3mm with conventional MIG is almost impossible... pulse MIG works better, but it's very tricky indeed... most people would vastly prefer TIG at this level, less chance of a cold weld and far more control.

But of course, you've laid 6" of spattery weld there, so your expertise clearly trumps all of ours.

Why bring politics into a welding thread? You're not helping yourself.
    Last edited by Munkul; 01-20-2021 at 03:55 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Just highlighting your stupidity!

Post Thanks / Like

Just highlighting your stupidity!
    You're only highlighting your own horrible attitude. Are you still on about the American thing? Cos you're not doing your own country any favours, as a representative.

Where are you from? We're not all american anyways... so you can stop making assumptions.

Good day, sir.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

12. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your viewpoint doesn't it? Your viewpoint just doesn't interest me I'm afraid. But as long as you dopes keep carrying on, I will too!

Post Thanks / Like

Epic fail in ... how many days as a member on the forum? Ten? Twenty, max?

GRRRRRRRRR! WOOOOOOOF! (By the way, that dog looks about as brain-dead as you sound!)
    Last edited by Kelvin; 01-20-2021 at 07:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Is that you, Bonzoo?
    Can't be Bonzoo. For all his faults, Bonzoo could mig weld like nobody's business. No way Bonzoo would show a crappy weld like that on here. ;-)
    Miller Multimatic 255

16. Likes Lis2323, MinnesotaDave, ronsii, 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Then again, you are Americans, the people who voted in a lunatic and then ransacked your own capitol building.
    Sounds like someone is still bitter about losing two wars to the Americans, the demise of the Empire, and the prospect of Charles as King! LOL
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know why anyone is wasting your time talking to an idiot like this.

Just break out the BAN stick and be done with it.

He is obviously only here to talk sheit.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

19. Likes bplayer405 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty obvious where he's from. "Aluminium", never understood how an extra i got in there and "RAAF", Royal Australian Air Force.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen enough - I think we're done here.

This is an example of how NOT to join a website full of helpful people.

Hammer dropped....

Name:  marvel_thor_mopop_blog_2018-3.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  49.9 KB
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 01-20-2021 at 09:08 AM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist