+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CK stubby gas lens on Aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

CK stubby gas lens on Aluminum

Just tried welding 1/4" aluminum with a stubby gas lens. I had heard about "gas lens" and "stubby" but had never tried one. Managed to get my hands on the stubby kit for free and I thought I would try it out. CK Kit #SGL-KTM. In the event that this might be useful to someone, I thought I would post a result. I used the 3/32 setup out of the kit. Photo represents first attempt at inside corner. My impressions were that a very clean weld was produced but I have achieved similar results using what I would call the "normal" TIG torch configuration that I have been using for years. Not sure of the actual current used, it didn't seem like I was near the max. It just seemed "easier" and, of course, you could get into smaller spaces. I would be interested in the experience of others using this configuration.

Torch 17
    Welder HTP221
    3/32 La/W electrode
    #7 cup
    Max current 220A
    Balance 65
    Frequency 120
    Post flow 10 sec.
    Pre flow .5 sec
    Filler Rod: 3/32" 5356
    No preheat
    Material Prep: Cleaned with red Scotchbrite and blew off with dry air.
    .Name:  IMG_20210125_103736852.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  79.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CK stubby gas lens on Aluminum

You are getting similar results that I get, but I use a #8 cup, and 1/8" -2% lanthanated tungsten. The weld looks good but also looks undersized for 1/4" base metal. But if that size works for you then I go for it. Most times a 1/4" fillet requires a 1/4" throat, which overrides the leg size.

I like gas lenses for the smooth flow and reduced gas consumption. Also the gas lens kind of works as a heat shield/exchanger to deflect heat from the torch, but then also pull heat from the torch body to pre-heat the inert gas.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

3. Likes Louie1961, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/4” Aluminum I’d be using 1/8” tung. & filler rod

Thats just me.

That weld almost looks like undercut
    I can’t see it that well on the phone.

Looks very small though
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Could just be me, but I found the big gas lens dont work very good on outside corner joints

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the inputs. I agree with the use of the 1/8" Tungsten and normally that's what I would use for 1/4" and normal torch config. I had been welding 1/8" and just didn't bother switching over. I was surprised that the 3/32" electrode held up (didn't overheat) but I didn't do that many beads and these were just 4"X2" practice pieces. Closer examination of the weld did not indicate undercutting and I will add that prior to laying the inside corner bead I had done the outside corner.Name:  IMG_20210126_060632682.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  104.5 KB

For completeness attached outside corner weld done prior to inside corner so I guess statement about preheat inaccurate with regard to inside corner weld.
    Again, many thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice welding. If your using pure tungsten, then definitely use 1/8" electrode, with the other types it won't make that much of a difference in short runs. I think its more important to use 1/8" filler so you can fill the throat out. They don't look undercut, just a little concave, with lots of fine ripples. Using the larger filler rod/wire would improve depth of throat, and consistency. At least for me it does. YMMV

good luck
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try the 1/8 filler. When doing the outside corner it seemed like I couldn't apply enough material fast enough.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2strokeforever View Post
    Could just be me, but I found the big gas lens dont work very good on outside corner joints
    There are small nozzles for gas lenses too. I have a #4 and hardly use it. What size do you use?
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You did a good job on the welds. It will surprise you when you realize the little bit of difference in the 3/32 to the 1/8 filler will make in filling. Also, did you happen to cut and etch just for your own satisfaction? When I get a break (which is often because I'm trying to retire...again), I do weld material that I've been working with and cut them because I can. All the best to you and enjoy.
    gramps

Post Thanks / Like

10sec of post flow is way tooo much. 3-4seconds is enough
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    10sec of post flow is way tooo much. 3-4seconds is enough
    Dang you are cheap!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Dang you are cheap!!!!
    ya damn right lol
    As long as my tungsten welds good I don't care how many colors it has. I'd also rather regrind it than have to refill a tank more often. Most of the parts I make have a 7 parts, average 3 tacks each = lots of wasted gas
    Thats why I hate welders like the diversion, sw200 and HF. Welders without post flow control I would run out of gas in a week or two when it normally lasts me 3-4 months.
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

ya damn right lol
    As long as my tungsten welds good I don't care how many colors it has. I'd also rather regrind it than have to refill a tank more often. Most of the parts I make have a 7 parts, average 3 tacks each = lots of wasted gas
    Thats why I hate welders like the diversion, sw200 and HF. Welders without post flow control I would run out of gas in a week or two when it normally lasts me 3-4 months.
    The new HFProTig205 does have adjustable post flow. It came at a price as they lowered the DC pulse max from 200 to 50. I agree the SW200 and Diversion can go through gas fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    The new HFProTig205 does have adjustable post flow. It came at a price as they lowered the DC pulse max from 200 to 50. I agree the SW200 and Diversion can go through gas fast.
    For $999 they could of left it at 200pps and added all the necessary features. Now they are just getting greedy
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

17. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For $999 they could of left it at 200pps and added all the necessary features. Now they are just getting greedy
    Agree. Warranty sucks too.

Post Thanks / Like

IME Aluminium isn't fussy on gas coverage... just needs enough to cover the tungsten and arc. I don't get any better results between a regular no.5 cup and a no.7 gas lens (which is my go-to for stainless, and pretty much stays on all the time)

I don't like the idea of too-short a post-gas time. For the sake of a second or two of gas every time you run a bead, I'd rather keep my tungsten clean.

Watercooled torches will cool the tungsten faster so you can get away with less post-gas.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

20. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason I run a 10 second post flow was my experience some time ago running the 3/32 tungsten on 1/4 Al (standard torch config). The Tungsten turned blue with a post flow of 5 seconds. I eventually switched to a 1/8 electrode and kept the post flow at 10. The point of gas consumption is valid (I use an 80 cubic foot Ar bottle - the larger ~120 is now too heavy for me to safely handle (geezer factor)) but I am fortunate that the local hardware store carries them for me. With respect to the #7 stubby cup, it's just the default in the kit. I used the #7 in the standard torch configuration also.

The recommendations from this forum (shovelon and others) really help, are greatly appreciated, and get me on track quickly. I have ordered 1/8" 5356, will switch to the 1/8 electrode (stubby) and will post the results when I get the material.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

With 220 amps max, i can't see how a bigger tungsten will help? The 221 is a modern machine and will look after the tungsten point just fine, on 3/32. How will a bigger tungsten add any value?

I do agree with the 1/8" filler, definitely a good idea on 1/4".

I'd drop the frequency to 50hz on that thick inside joint, it will wet out better and you'll be surprised at how much hotter it will run. Save the high frequency for when you want to run narrow beads.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try the 50Hz, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    With 220 amps max, i can't see how a bigger tungsten will help? The 221 is a modern machine and will look after the tungsten point just fine, on 3/32. How will a bigger tungsten add any value?

I do agree with the 1/8" filler, definitely a good idea on 1/4".

I'd drop the frequency to 50hz on that thick inside joint, it will wet out better and you'll be surprised at how much hotter it will run. Save the high frequency for when you want to run narrow beads.
    True. Too high freq on inside corners will hobble arc, but it can help with cleaning on outside corners creating a more focused arc. I like 80 to 100 freq as opposed to 150 to 200 htz.

25. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree with the higher frequency on outside joints after a while you get used to what frequency is good for what.

My go-to frequency is 80hz. I just like it. Runs well on 1/8".

Inside joints on 1/4" - 50hz or lower. My machine will let me run at 30hz, which sounds horrific but it makes a huge wide puddle and puts loads of heat in.

Outside edges, narrow delicate work etc - 120hz+.

27. Likes BillE.Dee, shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I got my 1/8" 5356, switched to a 1/8" stubby gas lens and did a few of the same welds with the same parameters as before. As advised it did make running both inside and outside corner welds easier. I did not change the frequency from 120Hz to a lower value - in my quest to switch to 1/8" I simply forgot. My biggest problem with these 4"X2"X1/4" test pieces is tacking them into position. There has got to be an easier way of doing this. Anyway results were good, here are a few pics. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about duplicated pics - couldn't figure out how to delete.

Post Thanks / Like

80 Hz for completeness.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

That looks really good.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist