+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lincoln AC225 S

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln AC225 S

Hi all, my first post on your page... well I can't seem to locate info. using my code: 8712-705 I need DC to use 7018 rod so I bought a 300amp full wave rectifier. will age have any effect on the transformer adding this rectifier? I rarely use this welder only projects in the garage. 1/4in. Fillet welds, Lap Joints. Thanks for your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln AC225 S

It would be a lot easier to just buy a box of 7018 AC
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by propanehotrod View Post
    It would be a lot easier to just buy a box of 7018 AC
    I was thinking the same
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched a guy weld using AC 7018 Rod on his Lincoln AC225. after he installed a Rectifier and welded it was a big difference, the flow was better, less splatter as well. I was mainly trying to find info. on my code. the video was on YouTube. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You will need an inductor to go with the rectifier to stabilize the DC arc and a noise suppressor. Using the AC rod will be a lot cheaper.
    I have an old 300 amp Glen stick welder that has higher OCV. It burns anything I try.
    and welds great. Have used it to repair a lot of farm equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogagogo View Post
    Hi all, my first post on your page... well I can't seem to locate info. using my code: 8712-705 I need DC to use 7018 rod so I bought a 300amp full wave rectifier. will age have any effect on the transformer adding this rectifier? I rarely use this welder only projects in the garage. 1/4in. Fillet welds, Lap Joints. Thanks for your advice.
    Agree with others. DC is desirable for other rods. But why 7018/14? Why not 6011? Maybe 6013? 1/4 mild steel will weld fine w both rods

Returning to your OP, your question re ‘age on transformer’ makes little sense to me. Perhaps you can clarify.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogagogo View Post
    ...so I bought a 300amp full wave rectifier..
    Are you fully prepared for the buildup to convert your buzzer to DC? There are many builds on WW you can search. I have found several consistent issues w this type of build. Most buy this 25$ rectifier and think it done. But the rectifier alone is only part of the system. Most ignore and subsequently fail upon the thermal considerations. You’ll need a choke of considerable inductance. This will need to run the secondary current so the windings must be sized accordingly. Lastly you’ll need to rework your cabling with dinse or other swappable connectors to switch AC DCEP DCEM.

It’s a fun DIY project for sure. If done correctly I think a DC conversion really doesn’t save money if you are considering your time as money.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

It can be done but I would suggest buying a Miller Dialarc 250 or Lincoln Idealarc250 and be done with it. Nothing experimental about those machines. Unless you just want to do a conversion project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the smaller counter top AC 225S? Not worth even trying to convert it to DC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie1957 View Post
    It can be done but I would suggest buying a Miller Dialarc 250 or Lincoln Idealarc250 and be done with it. Nothing experimental about those machines. Unless you just want to do a conversion project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, and either can be had for under $300. Sometimes near $200.

Excellent machines that weld much better than a converted 225 AC machine, or their 225 AC/DC machine.

I have 2 of the little lincolns in the student classroom. They work, but they are unimpressive on DC when compared to Dialarc or inverter machines.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist