+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where to put the ground clamp when stick welding ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to put the ground clamp when stick welding ?

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    The clamp, thingy or whatever has no idea what it's name is. Maybe in today's age it's whatever it decides to identify itself as. Yes there always seems to be some mindless windbag that needs to correct everyone else who is on the same page.

There ya go...lets ask the clamp what it wants to be called...that way we get the right answer. Dammit man you are a genius.

Crazy world we live in, sure glad for the ennertainment

2. Likes 12V71, ronsii, R&I liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    There ya go...lets ask the clamp what it wants to be called...that way we get the right answer. Dammit man you are a genius.

Crazy world we live in, sure glad for the ennertainment
    Here's another thing. I get it if we are welding on something that involves work it's a " work clamp" . What about a welding test, would it be a " test clamp"? What if we are practicing for a weld test, would that make it a " practice clamp"? Now I'm really confused.

4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TYes there always seems to be some mindless windbag that needs to correct everyone else who is on the same page.
    Don't be so hard on yourself...no need to try getting even all in one thread!
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

6. Dislikes R&I disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And here all this time I called mine a ground clamp because it always worked best when I ground the spot it was clamped to...

8. Likes G-ManBart, R&I, Chano liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself...no need to try getting even all in one thread!
    Getting even? Your nothing more than a minor annoyance, actually even somewhat entertaining. If you really want to get under my skin you best pack a lunch and put on your big boy pants.

10. Dislikes R&I disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the last shop I had, the ground went in the slab and came up under the table and bolted to a leg. Worked for 20 years or so.

Post Thanks / Like

what is it called when you clamp to the Gas Lug for tig welding. or use as a clamp to hold work together. or use it as an electrode holder.
    I have a young man who works for me and he is very literal. However, he has never had issue finding and handing me the "grounding thingie"

Post Thanks / Like

Getting even? Your nothing more than a minor annoyance, actually even somewhat entertaining. If you really want to get under my skin you best pack a lunch and put on your big boy pants.
    Insults tend to work better when you spell words like "you're" correctly.

I hate to see someone struggling...why don't you just send your proposed insults to me via PM, I'll edit them and send them back to you so you can post them...sort of level the cerebral playing field. I think that could be a real winner!
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

14. Dislikes R&I disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to see someone struggling...why don't you just send your proposed insults to me via PM, I'll edit them and send them back to you so you can post them...sort of level the cerebral playing field. I think that could be a real winner!
    I suppose being removed from English class and " sentence structure 101" for close to 40 years could do that. Then again haven't run across too many English majors working in the welding, fabrication and repair for that long. To clarify, I called you a " windbag". Looked up the definition, " someone who speaks at length about something of limited value". Sounds to me that it's a lot less of an insult but rather a job title in your case.

16. Dislikes R&I disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    There ya go...lets ask the clamp what it wants to be called...that way we get the right answer.
    And let's not forget to ask for its "preferred pronouns."

"Hi, I am a lowly welder ground clamp and my preferred pronouns are me, ME, It's all about MEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Post Thanks / Like

I like that M J D, mine "self identifies" as a squeezie thingy majiggy!

HOWEVER, we have a slight problem Houston! Now, assuming the spring loaded, two piece, riveted, pivoting, metal object that is secured to a cable and assumed by this thread to be attached to the "-" terminal on a welder, were in fact attached to the "+" terminal, as if you were TIG welding or self shielded flux core welding, what on earth would we refer to it as then?

Again, I believe we would have to let it self identify to whatever term gets said item, put in its proper position for the welding procedure being performed.

"Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I like that M J D, mine "self identifies" as a squeezie thingy majiggy!

HOWEVER, we have a slight problem Houston! Now, assuming the spring loaded, two piece, riveted, pivoting, metal object that is secured to a cable and assumed by this thread to be attached to the "-" terminal on a welder, were in fact attached to the "+" terminal, as if you were TIG welding or self shielded flux core welding, what on earth would we refer to it as then?

Again, I believe we would have to let it self identify to whatever term gets said item, put in its proper position for the welding procedure being performed.

Maybe instead of traditional black or the ultra flexy orange welding lead it should be marketed in rainbow colors. Could call it the " Roy G Biv" line of welding cable . Might have to ditch the standard male and female connectors in dinse or tweco style and come up with a new " unisex" connector.

21. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting back the question from the OP: If you are not lying inside a metal box that you are welding on, then the location of your clamp (ground or work) should not put you at risk of being shocked. This also assumes you are wearing rubber soled boots, your leads don’t have cracks and lying on top of you and you are not lying on the ground full of sweat or water. The closer to the workpiece and the better the connection, the more reliable the voltage or amperage and perhaps a better weld. There is one health risk of your body being between the stinger and the clamp. If you have a pacemaker or defibrillator, or insulin pump or dobutamine pump or left ventricular assist device, these or other electronic devices could be turned off or reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Likes Jonath108 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I think I’ve mentioned it here before, but I worked for a company where we built aluminum assemblies on a fixture tables, machines were the older transformer Syncrowaves with the open points under the hatch on the front. One of the favored pranks, of many, was to walk up to someone as they were under hood and yank their ground/work clamp off. If your gloves were any kind of damp from sweat it would dang sure give you a good start. Not quite as bad as a cattle prod or electric fence but damn close.

Another story. Our torch coolers were plumbed from a big tank outside and I’m guessing maintenance had the pump pressure set on the ragged edge of what the torches were rated for because occasionally we’d blow out the water jacket in the torch and it would leak or spray water like nobody’s business. Tiny stream that would put a super soaker to shame for distance. Guy on the table next to me waves me over one day. Our plant was set up where the distribution and receiving guys had a lane down the side of our shop. There’s four or five of those yahoo’s standing in a group with some of the maintenance guys looking up at the shop ceiling. The guy that waved me over said watch this, points his torch up in the air and keys it for about a half second, out flows this tiny stream in an arc that lands 50-60 feet away right on the group of guys. He said he’d had them there for about 10-15 minutes when I got there, he started with receiving guys who then called maintenance over and they were all looking for a leak in the roof LOL!

Adding: Never had so many problems with blowing water cooled torches as that place, mostly they’d just start leaking, occasionally they’d provide some quality entertainment. We used a lot of flex heads so that might have exacerbated the problem.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 02-19-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You Jeffrey
    I try and always be very safety conscious.
    A lot of people in other countries seem to be ok about stick welding in Sandles and not wearing any protective clothing, not even gloves.
    J

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonath108 View Post
    Thank You Jeffrey
    I try and always be very safety conscious.
    A lot of people in other countries seem to be ok about stick welding in Sandles and not wearing any protective clothing, not even gloves.
    J
    You talking about Chinese?

Name:  Chinese_paper_welding_mask.JPG
Views: 529
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  920_home_made_welder_protective_mask.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  189.2 KB

Name:  e9a80073fdfaa7feec1dc41b063fe027--jokes-photos-funny-photos.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  15.4 KB

Or Russians?

Adding: IDK why YouTube is censoring that video, it’s nothing naughty or gory, and also highly appropriate for this thread LOL.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 02-19-2021 at 09:23 PM.

28. Likes ronsii, Jonath108 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant to say people from India and Pakistan.
    Many workers sit on the dirt and stick weld with out any protective clothing.
    They even tack weld without even wearing any hood or visor, not even sunglasses !
    j
    Last edited by Jonath108; 02-20-2021 at 10:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonath108 View Post
    I meant to say people from India and Pakistan.
    Many workers sit on the dirt and stick weld with out any protective clothing.
    They even tack weld without even wearing any hood or visor, not even sunglasses !
    j
    Yeah, it’s terrible, much of the world doesn’t have the same regard for workers health as Western or EU nations. I’ve seen some downright travesties, but there’s nothing you can do to help as it’s sort of baked into their society, India especially because of their caste system, it would seem. Saw a YouTube video a while back of a small foundry in India, those guys were pouring molten steel into molds with their robes and sandals on.

That’s not to say we’re perfect, it’s not as bad as it once was with regard to naivety or laxness where safety protocols are concerned, but we damn sure still have our fair share of yahoos, especially in the trades, I my experience.

And I’ll be the first to admit that my attitude has evolved over the years where safety and health are concerned, I don’t know if that’s a result of the accumulation of training I’ve had over the years, getting older, having kids of my own, or all the above, either way ignorance is not bliss when it comes to health and safety. Plenty of one eyed, peg leg guys and folks pushing up daisies can attest to that.

I was just messing with you a little when I posted the China pics, I figured it was either us or them you were alluding to. Seems like every one of our idiots here about to do something stupid has a friend with a video rolling ready to post to YouTube once the deed is done LOL and China is famous for those impromptu welding setups.

BTW, did you watch that YouTube video? It’s fake but funny, and not all anything naughty. It’s a Russian welder dragging his stinger against a fence and pretending to be shocked.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 02-20-2021 at 02:05 PM.

31. Likes Jonath108 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s another good one.......

33. Likes Stick-man, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
    Here’s another good one.......

OMG!!! That is hilarious!!!
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

35. Likes Jonath108 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    OMG!!! That is hilarious!!!
    LOL!!! One of the first auto dark hoods

37. Likes Stick-man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an SA200 so can't blame the welder. Years ago at coffee break one of the guys used a black felt pen on an apprentices lens. After the break the apprentice claimed he couldn't see very well. He checked his helmet and everything seemed good. They said he probably got flashed and it takes awhile until you can see properly. He tried again a few minutes later and said he still couldn't see. Don't worry about it, sometimes it takes a little longer so sent him to the tool crib to get the mag drill. In the mean time they put a good lens in his helmet. One of the guys said let me try your helmet and of course could see properly. He told the apprentice he must have got a pretty good flash. He tried again and miraculously could see properly. I don't think to this day he knows they were messing with him.

39. Likes Jonath108 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist