+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 2 Welding and Need Advice

Post Thanks / Like

New 2 Welding and Need Advice

Hey Folks,

I'm David, in Chattanooga, and just got my first Stick Welder, it's a Lincoln Electric Model K 1170. Where is my best source to learn all about my first Welder ??

Thanks in Advance for Any Input and Advice
    David N. Rye, Chief Manager
    Appalachian Design & Build
    1611 Hamill Road
    Hixson, Tennessee 37343

appalachian.design.build@gmail.com

423-320-2728

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New 2 Welding and Need Advice

Is it new or used? what all do you want to know? and what are you going to use it for? and of course what all do you want to learn?

3. Likes CarloCasemaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hello David and welcome. You can find information about welding on some youtube videos. they will at least get started and from there it will all be about practice. Different metals take different settings and also different welding rods. You can find information on the internet concerning welding. Most welding machines are all kissing cousins but they are not identical twins and will require some tweaking of settings. Enjoy your endeavor and best of luck.

5. Likes CarloCasemaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the prompt response. I bought a used Lincoln Electric AC-225 from my VW Engineer neighbor. I have a 50' x 52' Man Cave ( Old Warehouse Space I'm Leasing ) with a good single-phase power source. Three-phase is in the building but not currently in my space. I'm a 69 year old General Contractor in the process of winding down from full-time to pick-and-choose-time so I can devote more time to 'Passion Puttering on Pet Projects'. While I can still see what I'm doing and use my hands without restrictions, I need to enjoy my twilight years doing what I enjoy; on my own schedule!! I have a 38' Gulfstream Friendship 102 RV, a 14' Ford E 45 Diesel Box Truck, an F 150, 2 utility trailers, a 22' Sea Ray w/trailer, assorted construction equipment, and a shop full of screen printing equipment. With all that, something is always needing attention. Plus, I recently bought a 32' dual axle trailer frame that will soon become a Tiny Home, Food Trailer or Party Barge.
    With all the above mentioned, I want to learn how to maintain my old stuff and fabricate my new ideas. A used stick welder seemed like a reasonable first step. I have a serious Yearn-to-Learn personality but not the guidance of where or how to begin. I don't even know if the stick welder was the place to start, it's just when my neighbor asked if I wanted his used welder I said yes. I'd like to learn as much as possible and become as good as the fabricators I've used over the past 45 years. I'm a Master Craftsman and Designer with a Perfectionist Attitude, so I do want to acquire a skill-set that will serve me well. That may be asking too much for an Old Fart like me this late in life, but I have the time and energy to attempt it now !! I would also like to learn about TIG, (GTAW Heli-Arc) & MIG, especially since I had an aluminum fabrication shop and always had to send out when the project called for it.
    I know that's maybe more than you wanted to know, but you did ask.

Thanks again,
    David
    Last edited by CarloCasemaker; 02-19-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    1611 Hamill Road
    Hixson, Tennessee 37343

423-320-2728

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill ....... If you are aware of some sites that are much better than others, please feel free to drop me a note.
    1611 Hamill Road
    Hixson, Tennessee 37343

423-320-2728

Post Thanks / Like

Hello David, I think you can learn on YouTube and Reddit by asking questions in the relevant community...And Welcome to Community,

9. Likes CarloCasemaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're probably not going to become as good as the fabricators you've used for 45 years. Not sure why you listed all your (expensive) toys. An AC 225 can do a lot of projects but is a lower end welder. A better machine makes the learning curve a lot easier and faster. Your absolute best bet is to take a beginner welding course at a community college and get some hands on instruction. Short of that try to find an experienced weldor to help you out. Might cost a bit but well worth it. Welding is something you can read all the books and watch all the video's but there is no substitute for actually doing. Be careful there's lots of false info on the internet. Welding is continual learning and takes years to master. Biggest tips I can give are make sure you're comfortable and can clearly see what you're doing.

11. Likes CarloCasemaker, somorris liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jody on Weldingtipsandtricks has some of the best videos out there.

There are others too, but he's in the top 5 easy.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

13. Likes N2 Welding, CarloCasemaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve Bleile has some good educational videos to help get you started.

Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Welder Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I don't have a lot of expensive toys, but rather a lifetime of accumulating a generous amount of hobby projects. It's just when asked what I wanted to do with a welder, that's pretty much what I have to putter with and maintain. I have already contacted the local Tech College and they're getting back with me with their suggestions and class schedules. I am aware that I won't ever be as proficient as welding pros I've used in the past, there just aren't enough days and weeks for me to get there, but I do want to hone my skills enough to the point that I don't have to pay for someone to come behind me and clean up my mistakes.

As for the AC 225 being at the low end of products, do you have a better suggestion for a model for me to begin with ? As I stated, I've always had a desire to learn welding and become self-sufficient for my personal projects, I just wasn't sure where to start. My neighbor offered the 225 to me pretty cheap and I said sure, I'd like to try. Do you think I should start from another point ? With a different welder ? At this point, I'm in it at $175 with a butt-load of sticks and time and desire to learn. None of my toys are falling apart at this time, but they could all use some TLC with a moderately skilled welder with a few sticks to help them out !!

Thanks again,
    David
    Last edited by CarloCasemaker; 02-20-2021 at 02:49 AM.
    1611 Hamill Road
    Hixson, Tennessee 37343

423-320-2728

Post Thanks / Like

If you can take a course you'll likely learn the advantages of having DC current. I don't know what your budget is but MN Dave had a Dialarc 250 AC/DC for $100 more than you paid, It would have needed cables too $$ but is pretty good upgrade from an AC225.

18. Likes CarloCasemaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, David. I know there are folks here who have the skills and experience to produce components like you bought from fabrication shops when you were working. I am sure their advice is good. My $0.02 worth would be to go ahead and take a class and get started with the welder you bought from your neighbor. You can always but a nicer model when your frustration level tells you it is time. You may not spend as much time welding as you think.

20. Likes CarloCasemaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They make that welder in a AC/DC model....it is easier to us and they are more expensive...but since they are harder to use they make you learn more tricks and after using that one for awhile you will apretiate(?) a better welder...My father had a old AC welder that I taught myself to weld with... Bottom line is weld some scrap metal try different thicknesses, experment with the settings and then you will be better informed about what to ask.....like; settings, rods(what the #s mean), rod size, speed....etc.Michael

22. Likes CarloCasemaker liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist