+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinions on Northern Tool welding table?

Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on Northern Tool welding table?

Hello All!
    I'm in need of a budget table. I found this one at Northern:
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2274_200712274
    I'd build my own except for two things standing in my way. First, I'm just starting out and I'll need some practical time before I'll be ready to build anything that I would want to keep. Second, I've got some orthopedic difficulties that make working on the floor pretty rough. I'm of course open to any suggestions for something other than the Northern Tool table. Emphasis on affordable! The $200 price on the Northern table is about the range I need to stay with. I suppose I could spring for another hundred if it was a big step up...
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on Northern Tool welding table?

Quote Originally Posted by Saburai View Post
    Hello All!
    I'd build my own except for two things standing in my way. First, I'm just starting out and I'll need some practical time before I'll be ready to build anything that I would want to keep. Second, I've got some orthopedic difficulties that make working on the floor pretty rough. I'm of course open to any suggestions for something other than the Northern Tool table. Emphasis on affordable! The $200 price on the Northern table is about the range I need to stay with. I suppose I could spring for another hundred if it was a big step up...
    Thanks!
    That is a nice table for the price. Wish I had that when I first started. My first one was a warped 1/4" x2 ft x 4 ft plate I got from the scrap yard for $10 and a cheap 2x4" wood table kit from the hardware store for like $20. That was over 40 years ago.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

3. Likes N2 Welding, ronsii, whtbaron, rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your knowledge opinion. That's what I was thinking. Of course ld love a high end table, but I'm thinking that eventually I'll be able to build my own. Incidentally, Northern Tool also has some good looking portable models:
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2276_200712276
    But I think that for $200 the bigger shop table with accessories is the best deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that this isn't in your price point as stated above, but I am looking at this one. Its new but if they guarantee that amount of precision for the price not sure I can pass it up.

We have much bigger cast platten tables at work and I live them, don't have the room or the capacity to move in my shop. But this one... heck ya.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/arcflat

I was looking at the Northern prior to seeing this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't already do a search here for the harbor freight / chicago electric folding table. You will see that most of the negative reviews here are from folks that don't own one and the folks that do seem to like them for the price to value ratio. I got mine on sale for around $50 bucks and it has served me well. I am tight on space in my shop and the ability to fold the table up is great.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saburai View Post
    Hello All!
    Thanks!
    That's not a bad deal... and if you want to expand some day you could always add onto it or even bolt 2 together. Even if you go to something else you'll still have the tooling. Beats the hell out of what I started with as well.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I know more than a couple of folks who have the 30 x 20" Harbor Freight table (3/16" thick is what I've been told) and are happy with it. It's really not bad for $69...and having a smaller, lighter, portable table might be handy if you ever upgrade to a bigger table. After a lot of watching and waiting I finally have a couple of nice, bigger/heavy tables and I can still see how it would be handy to have something you can just grab, drag and setup quickly.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

10. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt buy a damn thing from Northern Tool

Post Thanks / Like

I own both the HF folding table, and the Northen Tool table. Of the two, I prefer the Northern Tool and the assortment of clamps that come with it. It is flatter than the HF folding table and for my use, the fixtures make it easier to set things up. The NT table is certainly bigger, and not something to fold up and put away like the HF. The one thing I don't like about the Northern Tool table is the horizontal reinforcing frame makes it difficult to use the table while seated. Both tables have their place; but the assortment of clamps and fixture pieces makes the NT a good starting point if you have the room in your shop. I'd love to have a thicker, more robust table (stronghand or certiflat), just can't justify the added cost.
    Dave66
    =================
    Millermatic 211 (Transformer Based)
    Primeweld TIG 225X

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I bought the Northern Tool table on sale and with a coupon, got out the door for just under $200. It's flat and with the accessories I think that it's a good deal. Of course, I'd like a high end table but I'm sure that this one will serve me well and help speed my learning.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I got the $99 Klutch folding table from NT and it works great. Granted, you won't be pounding on it with a sledgehammer or putting engine blocks on it, but for everyday welding it's just fine, and it's also useful around the shop when you just need a flat surface to sit stuff on. Some people put two of them side by side for larger pieces when needed. I've burned a ton of rod on mine.
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

15. Likes Saburai, Jonath108 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got the Northern Tool one. It's ok for the money, I didn't use the long legs as I sit it on my work table to use. Good enough for myself being a novice as I use it to glue wood pieces together as it helps in assembly with the hold down clamps. Bought it a couple years ago for $169 I think.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist