+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Millscale

Post Thanks / Like

Millscale

Many times we are asked "What is Millscale?"

Millscale is the crappy finish that comes standard on HOT ROLLED steel...
    Don't matter if it's plate..round stock..flat stock..or angle..
    If it is hot rolled it has Millscale.
    And if you are going to TIG weld it...IT MUST GO!!!

Below are two plates that are hot rolled and have the standard Millscale on them..

Name:  Millscale 001.jpg
Views: 21665
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  Millscale 002.jpg
Views: 21622
Size:  133.4 KB

In pic 1 there is the grinder with a hard disc on it...
    After grinding the surface it looks like this..
    Name:  Millscale 003.jpg
Views: 21596
Size:  130.3 KB

You can remove it with the hard disc and what I like to do is hit it with a flap wheel after..
    Name:  Millscale 006.jpg
Views: 21569
Size:  140.9 KB

When all said and done your parts should be nice and shiney like this..
    Name:  Millscale 007.jpg
Views: 21589
Size:  117.4 KB

One quick wipe with acetone on a clean rag after grinding and you are good to go..

You don't need to grind the whole surface but you do have to GRIND WHERE THE WELD IS GOING!!!!

(I only ground the plates because they will be painted after assy...That's for another thread in projects and pictures....Kinda killed two birds with one stone..)

So GRIND OFF THE MILLSCALE especially before TIG welding!!!

...zap!
    Last edited by zapster; 01-18-2012 at 04:49 PM.

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Millscale

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post

What about cold rolled? How can you tell the difference between hot and cold?
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    What about cold rolled? How can you tell the difference between hot and cold?
    Cold rolled has no millscale on it..

It may be a tad rusty from the elements but for the most part CRS comes covered in oil so it don't rust.
    It looks like it's ready to go without grinding...Comes "Shiney" right out of the box.

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

Zapster. I hate to argue with the moderator but this mill scale thing is really scaring me. You make me think after almost 40 years under the hood I done it all wrong. I cant go back and do it over because I dont think I will live that long. I never have cleaned the millscale off before welding. Worked in some shops that shot the gray primer on tanks that you had to grind before being able to weld on them. Even with the wire welders I havent ground off millscale. I hate wire welders.
    Millscale comes off when hit with heat. Be it with a torch or a welder. I have burnt some off to be able to make a good solid mark with a soapstone for cutting . Sorry I have to disagree with you but its what makes this a free country. I hope you come back on this and not just delete it. Thanks Harold

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know why I get better looking welds with mill scale on and when grinded off my welds don't look at good.
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welderskelter View Post
    Zapster. I hate to argue with the moderator but this mill scale thing is really scaring me. You make me think after almost 40 years under the hood I done it all wrong. I cant go back and do it over because I dont think I will live that long. I never have cleaned the millscale off before welding. Worked in some shops that shot the gray primer on tanks that you had to grind before being able to weld on them. Even with the wire welders I havent ground off millscale. I hate wire welders.
    Millscale comes off when hit with heat. Be it with a torch or a welder. I have burnt some off to be able to make a good solid mark with a soapstone for cutting . Sorry I have to disagree with you but its what makes this a free country. I hope you come back on this and not just delete it. Thanks Harold
    If you re read the post I stated it MUST come off when TIG welding..

Yes it does.

Any other process you can leave it or get rid of it.

I choose to get rid of it whenever possible no matter the process..

...zap!
    Last edited by zapster; 01-18-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know why I get better looking welds with mill scale on and when grinded off my welds don't look at good.
    Yeah I would too.

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you don't know I'll never figure it out. I thought it was just me, but I guess not.
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Zapster. I stand corrected. I apologize. I did miss that part. I would have to agree. Harold

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welderskelter View Post
    Zapster. I stand corrected. I apologize. I did miss that part. I would have to agree. Harold
    Ahhhhhh no biggie..

I don't read half the stuff I should either...

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

So what are other differences between HRS and CRS?

Strength?

Cost?

Warppage?

Good thread Zap. Love to learn.
    ~Rockland

Millermatic 211

Post Thanks / Like

Wow and all this time I thought it was something my dentist said I had.

Seriously though even with stick welding I clean scale of when using 7018, not really necessary with 6010 but beads look better if you do.

On scale removal Crest works ( Opps ) I mean disks work betterr than flaps and hitting it with the grinder first then lightly flapping saves on flap disks.
    And boy sometimes you can run into scale that is just tough and nasty and thick, 7-9 inch grinder time I got some 3/4 plate outside like that.

Post Thanks / Like

one more thing to throw in there is that wire wheels are in no acceptable to remove scale, they only polish the scale.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport plus w/ spoolmate 100
    victor 315c oxy/(act and prop)
    Miller digital elite
    milwaukee power tools

Post Thanks / Like

Will a flap disc by itself remove mill or just polish it?
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

You can wear a ditch in a piece of iron quickly with a flap disc.

Post Thanks / Like

Will a flap disc by itself remove mill or just polish it?
    Those come in many grits so it's sort of up to you. From 60 grit and larger they can get pretty dern aggressive. A 40 grit can move some metal quick like. Be careful.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Zap, I can maybe add a few other items that might give some credence when you are "allowed" to remove mill scale before welding. Mill scale is a form of oxide, it requires more energy to melt it and consume it in the welding arc than the "pure" metal that is presented to the arc/weld metal. When you weld on cleanly ground metal, especially hot rolled plates or other shapes, the aesthetics and often the mechanics of the weld will be of higher quality. The toes of some welds will exhibit undercut, lack of fusion, and microscopic deficiencies when welds are done without scale removal. Out-of-position welds will especially show effects of not removing scale more so than other weld positions. Run just about any weld joint in the vertical position with SMAW, FCAW, GMAW and the joint that has been ground will turnout looking better and will generally be easier to control and yield a higher quality weld. Even these very small or large deficiencies (if it's deep and long undercut) can cause stress risers and similar problems that could result in weld failures. Amount and thickness of mill scale will vary widely with plate thickness, manufacturing process, and many other variables. Industry, application, process (in this case GTAW) and sometimes fabricator/welder craftsmanship could be the determining factor as to whether scale is removed or not. In some cases, referring to industry, removal of scale, rust, oxidation (from thermal cutting processes) galvanizing or similar surface applications, and other foreign materials, is absolutely required before welding can be done. I believe many items welded for military applications definitely require removal, at least the ones that I was associated with did, and a lot of the other governmental agencies requiring metal fabrication had similar requirements. Removal of mill scale will ensure better quality when applied to welding. With my comments here I don't say that all welds require scale removal to be "correct" or of quality, I simply say that a few minutes with a grinder will certainly be appreciated when you get to the welding end of things and possibly the look of the bead afterwards. Economics along with a number of other requirements will likely dictate in an industrial context whether you will or won't. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

I tried my toothpaste but it didn't work. Does it have to be CREST brand?

What about Tabasco? I think that works on pennies.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    Many times we are asked "What is Millscale?"

Don't matter if it's plate..round stock..flat stock..or angle..
    If it is hot rolled it has Millscale.
    And if you are going to TIG weld it...IT MUST GO!!!

Below are two plates that are hot rolled and have the standard Millscale on them..

Name:  Millscale 001.jpg
Views: 21665
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  Millscale 002.jpg
Views: 21622
Size:  133.4 KB

In pic 1 there is the grinder with a hard disc on it...
    After grinding the surface it looks like this..
    Name:  Millscale 003.jpg
Views: 21596
Size:  130.3 KB

You can remove it with the hard disc and what I like to do is hit it with a flap wheel after..
    Name:  Millscale 006.jpg
Views: 21569
Size:  140.9 KB

When all said and done your parts should be nice and shiney like this..
    Name:  Millscale 007.jpg
Views: 21589
Size:  117.4 KB

One quick wipe with acetone on a clean rag after grinding and you are good to go..

You don't need to grind the whole surface but you do have to GRIND WHERE THE WELD IS GOING!!!!

(I only ground the plates because they will be painted after assy...That's for another thread in projects and pictures....Kinda killed two birds with one stone..)

So GRIND OFF THE MILLSCALE especially before TIG welding!!!

...zap!
    Thanks for the thorough explanation.
    Will Supports Autism Awareness
    My Toys
    BobCat 225 PLus
    Millermatic 130
    Miller Spectrum 300 Cutmate
    Everlast Power Tig 185 Micro

April is Autism Month .

Post Thanks / Like

So zap I take it that the orange haze that was around my practice beads were from the mill scale on the metal.
    Will Supports Autism Awareness
    My Toys
    BobCat 225 PLus
    Millermatic 130
    Miller Spectrum 300 Cutmate
    Everlast Power Tig 185 Micro

April is Autism Month .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aevald View Post
    Hello Zap, I can maybe add a few other items that might give some credence when you are "allowed" to remove mill scale before welding. Mill scale is a form of oxide, it requires more energy to melt it and consume it in the welding arc than the "pure" metal that is presented to the arc/weld metal. When you weld on cleanly ground metal, especially hot rolled plates or other shapes, the aesthetics and often the mechanics of the weld will be of higher quality. The toes of some welds will exhibit undercut, lack of fusion, and microscopic deficiencies when welds are done without scale removal. Out-of-position welds will especially show effects of not removing scale more so than other weld positions. Run just about any weld joint in the vertical position with SMAW, FCAW, GMAW and the joint that has been ground will turnout looking better and will generally be easier to control and yield a higher quality weld. Even these very small or large deficiencies (if it's deep and long undercut) can cause stress risers and similar problems that could result in weld failures. Amount and thickness of mill scale will vary widely with plate thickness, manufacturing process, and many other variables. Industry, application, process (in this case GTAW) and sometimes fabricator/welder craftsmanship could be the determining factor as to whether scale is removed or not. In some cases, referring to industry, removal of scale, rust, oxidation (from thermal cutting processes) galvanizing or similar surface applications, and other foreign materials, is absolutely required before welding can be done. I believe many items welded for military applications definitely require removal, at least the ones that I was associated with did, and a lot of the other governmental agencies requiring metal fabrication had similar requirements. Removal of mill scale will ensure better quality when applied to welding. With my comments here I don't say that all welds require scale removal to be "correct" or of quality, I simply say that a few minutes with a grinder will certainly be appreciated when you get to the welding end of things and possibly the look of the bead afterwards. Economics along with a number of other requirements will likely dictate in an industrial context whether you will or won't. Best regards, Allan
    ^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwill View Post
    So zap I take it that the orange haze that was around my practice beads were from the mill scale on the metal.
    If you TIG or spray MIG all the junk in the scale makes for strange looking soots next to the weld.

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post

Strength?

Cost?

Warppage?

HRS is at a temp where it's very soft and even though water and brine will pop some of the scale off between roll stands a lot of it just stays stuck. For machining purpose HRS has less internal stress and stays more stable.

CRS goes through a cooler draw below temps where the material can de-carb, the steel is also much stronger at these temps. CRS has uniform size and is stable until the highly worked surface is disturbed. When welding you can expect a bit more warping. For machining, milling CRS will result in more warping, for turning there is usually no problem.

In testing raw stock CRS, will have higher mechanical properties, it varies from a little (1018) to a lot (1144 hard worked = Stressproof).

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post

Strength?

Cost?

Warppage?

CRS is more expensive.
    The cold rolling creates a skin and resulting stresses in the material. Removing the skin from one side results in the material bowing in the opposite direction.
    Good CRS is very close to size, often within a few thousandths of an inch of nominal, flat, with square sides and relatively sharp corners.

Rule of thumb, use HRS unless your aaplication requires CRS.

Joe

Joe
    Last edited by scudzuki; 01-25-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Mac/Miller MW130 MIG
    Kalamazoo bandsaw
    Cincinnati Arrow 500 VMC
    Colchester Dominion 15 x 36 lathe with 2 axis DRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scudzuki View Post
    CRS is more expensive.
    It took me a minute to remember what that stands for. I thought you were talking about my medical condition, Can't Remember . . . Stuff. It can be expensive when you forget an anniversary or something.

On a more serious note, are "Hot Rolled" and "Hot Worked" the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thats alot of interchange about millscale, one thing that will remove it is Apple Cider Vinegar, the thicker the millscale the longer the soak time, Muratic acid will do it faster but is very hard to be around, burns the nose and rusts everything around
    08 Lincoln Ranger 250 w/Remote
    94 Lincoln G9 Pro
    68 SA-200 Red Face
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc w/remote
    Miller 250 Syncrowave

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist