Thread: Vantage 400 or classic 300d or SAE 300??

Post Thanks / Like

Vantage 400 or classic 300d or SAE 300??

Hi there,

I am torn between these 3 great machines. I would like to purchase any with a Perkins diesel engine. I am looking for the best all around machine for my needs. I will be welding a little bit of everything in the upcoming year. I will be doing some pipelining, flux core on pile caps, and some tig in facility. I have no cap on my budget, I value all opinions, and hope my answer doesnt just come down to preference. I realize all these machines are capable of the many processes. I am thinking the Vantage is the best for the tig & long hours of heavy rod laying. Whereas the 300d and sae-300 tie for piping. Can someone shed some light? I don't plan on doing much gouging, perhaps a Vantage 300 would be better than the 400?
    Thx!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vantage 400 or classic 300d or SAE 300??

Well what ever you do, you need to buy it before the end of the year because of the new EPA BS emission requirements that will increase the price of the machine by 50%.

I would forget the 300D completely. The new SAE300 just completely blows it out of the water if your looking for a pure DC rotor machine.

If you where going to do full blown pipelining, the SAE300 would be the machine to use. I haven't used one to run a wire feeder yet. But you will need to buy the CV kit for it to use as a wire feeder. But it does come with a name plate that says it was custom built for "________" Always cool.

The vantage is a great all around machine. It will MIG, TIG, Stick great and power your house when the lights are out. It can hold its own on the pipeline, but you probably will get some ball busting for owning it vs a SA200. I have seen more and more of them are starting to pop up on the pipeline. What I like about the vantage, it that it will run a wire feeder till your leads start smoking. Been there, done that. Twice.

The Vantage 300 - I believe it can only be bought now with a kubota diesel. That's where Lincoln screwed up. When it had the duetz diesel it was the most bullet proof machine you could buy.
    Lincoln
    300 Vantage 2008
    300 Commander 1999
    SA250 1999
    SA200 1968

Miller
    Syncrowave 200
    XMT350MPA/S-52E/xr-15
    Xtreme 12vs
    Millermatic 251 w/30A
    Millermatic 251
    Dialarc 250

Hypertherm 1250
    GEKA & Bantom Ironwokers

Post Thanks / Like

I do not any of these machines, but I rented the Vantage quite a bit lately, as my machine is getting rebuilt. I built a 130ftthe grain elevator with it, and some steam jacketed stainless piping. It is pretty versatile, runs high freak box well, FCAW awesome, lots of AC power for plasma, and a pretty nice arc. Most versatile machine I've used. Rent one, try it, love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the new model SAE-300 is real nice! However I think because I am going to do this professionally my first job is going to be in a facility. So i am going to buy the vantage 400 and then after my first check im going out to buy the SAE300!

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've heard if you're going to get the SAE 300 and running wire, you only need the CV adaptor if you're running a wire feeder other than or similar to the LN 25. I do know that for the original SA and SAE machines the CV adapter was created to allow the unit to run the LN 22, which is now the 23P. I would imagine that it would be the same for the new units as well.
    Just what I've heard. My '61 red/blue face runs a hobart cc/cv wire feeder no prob, but if I use the old LN 22 I need to use my CV adapter if I'm going to be running higher heat.

But I've used the vantage quite a bit, for structural and piping and it does both awesome. I've never run the 300d or the newer SAE 300s but I've heard they are the pretty sweet.
    Miller Dialarc 250
    '61 Lincoln SA 200 Red/Blue Face
    Hobart Handler 175
    Smith O/A

If you cant dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B.S.!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a ton for all the advice everyone! But I actually have gotten a sweet deal on a new Miller Pipe Pro 350, and I think I will be getting that. Its a great all around machine....even though I was really after buying a lincoln =p

Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with that machine either. I have the earlier version called the pro 300. They arr pretty much identical. It does take a little getting used to after an sa 200.
    Miller Pro 300
    68 SA 200
    64 SAF 300
    305 G Lincoln gasser
    Miller 210