+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: a few projects going on in the shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: a few projects going on in the shop

That paystar looks like it will be a nice rig. One nice thing about building it yourself is now you have what you want
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed a diesel fired coolant heater on my cat 3406 what a pain in the rear it but finally starts the cold. ran the exhaust for it through the battery boxes so a little heat in there too takes about 30 minutes to get the block warm to the touch. now I'm going to install a coil that I rolled,21' of 3/4' pipe in the hydraulic system to help get that up to temperature but that requires draining the tank , 80 gallons, to install a new tank access so I will do it when I have a couple of things to fix that involve changing the hydraulic oil.
    the coil took about 2 hours of work to roll it around a piece of 6" pipe. and a bunch of heat
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

3. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had seen those heaters before... was curious how well they would work good idea on the other preheater things you came up with!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This one was a mil surplus its 26000 btu and burns about a quart an hour I should have bought a newer model but i just couldnt get one in 24 volt without waiting 6 weeks. I was suprised how fast stuff got warm. not even in the same ball park as a 110 volt coolant heater.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i haven't posted up on this thread any projects for a while but here is a little one Im just finishing up. its humorous how long something this simple takes to build but anyway I needed a right angle manifold for some hydraulic lines these are 300" 1" hoses so bout 700.00 a hose. This rig had some catywompus over the top clamp it on bothe sides thing that would work 99.9 of the time then a gust of wind, an act of god, butt cheeks clenched wrong, who knows why it would hang a hose up, rip it in half, and dump 20 gallons of oil on everybody, usually when the client is standing there. will see if this helps, hoses should hang straighter but will see. the threaded ports are 3/4 for drain line so I did them with oring port had all the tools to do that. I dont have all the stuff to do 1" oring yet. but the others I did in 1" npt I drilled the holes on the radial then centered them up in the lathe thats the indicating picture, taper bored them then single pointed the threads of course had to modify tools never have everything I need so had to turn down the boring bar pictures are in no order they are kind of like my mind. I hadn't see the broken cylinder pin mount until I looked at the pict, something else to fix.

8. Likes 12V71, albrightree, el bob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

another project going thankfully Im not the one paying on this my brother had a brake band break on his cable tool and dropped and bananaed the tower crushed the cab on the truck and broke the windshield. so he is just using the shop this is the second stage hoping to have the first stage built tomorrow its not as bowed as the picture but it might have to be ran threw the press to straighten it completely out has about a 1/4" of bow

10. Likes albrightree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    another project going thankfully Im not the one paying on this my brother had a brake band break on his cable tool and dropped and bananaed the tower crushed the cab on the truck and broke the windshield. so he is just using the shop this is the second stage hoping to have the first stage built tomorrow its not as bowed as the picture but it might have to be ran threw the press to straighten it completely out has about a 1/4" of bow
    Had a bit of experience with this, I built a top half for a B-E from scratch years ago after a guy wire anchor let go. Luckily the top head was still good and I could splice it on to the new mast section.

12. Likes idacal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

had some fun today the guys called yesterday and said the truck was acting up and did I want to come get them or just drive it, I told them to drive it. so we got it in the shop and realized the transfer case had spun a bearing we thought anyway. run to the scrap yard pick up a new transfer case Im almost back and they call and say that the back of the transmission is cracked as well that put a damper on what got done today. the planetary in the transfer case had locked up and broke the rear housing all but 2 bolts on the transmission. going to meet someone later who has a core transmission that maybe I can pull the tail housing off of. so instead, a lot of machining and shop work got done, finished up the gear cutting. Now have to start a lot of machining and welding and then machining again.here is some photos, the
    bearings are what we are going to use. the ring in the lathe gets welded to the gear and everything gets machined out and trued up bearings will be a light press fit. I dont know if this kind of work interests people or not?
    If that gear is going into a watch, that is going to be one heavy watch.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

we are in the deciding phase of building a bumper pull trailer for behind the new too us boom truck. I don't want to go air brake because then pick up towing is out. I know I can buy cheaper than build. But what im wanting, I would buy a trailer then cut it apart and rebuild a quarter of it. so Im doing the leg work on putting one together I know I want hydraulic disk brake im having issues finding a 99 spindle stripped axle anyone know were to find that? or just #99 spindles ?

Post Thanks / Like

Had my old lathe take a dump on me 70 year old oil pumps and I tightened the preload up to much. got a new to me gov surplus lathe my guys did some clean up on it rounded up some chucks. we are starting a fairly heavy rebuild on another rig I purchased needed a lathe that would hold a tolerance. Don’t know how to post pictures from this phone will get some up later

Post Thanks / Like

i had written out the earlier post then realized i didn't know how to post pictures off of that phone here is the new to me lathe it was made in vancouver in 1980 if this was quality of work coming out of american plants its no wonder the asian market destroyed us, its just sad. but anyway it turns, and my old monarch doesn't so its what's going to be used for a while until I can retrofit a new oiling system into the old lathe and order more bearings. here was drilling a backing plate for a 3 jaw chuck

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a 4 jaw chuck that was a good price but when it got here it was a bit bell mouthed, stock would wiggle when clamped down I had built a grinder years ago for my first lathe to true up jaws so out it came again
    biggest deal is getting the jaws tension enough to grid out the wear took about .005 on the inside of the jaw and barely touched the tips. then just drilling some plate for a casing hammer winch line

18. Likes whtbaron, hddnis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am tired just looking at that.

Post Thanks / Like

did not have a lot of progress this week in the shop, everyone is tired and we are kind of just coasting through the end of the year but made a little progress on the casing hammer line for the new to me rig, putting together a box for the old work truck, the new one is in the shop for the second time at 35000 miles waiting on an back ordered nox sensor, ready to spit nails over that. but thats what i get for thinking new might be bette,r my 6.0 only breaks down every 15,000 miles too, may as well find another 6.0 engine and have it ready to go in. I have some hydraulic questions Im trying to air pilot remote operate a hydraulic valve, most of the bank i can figure out but the one valve is a 4 way 4 position vale for a double acting cylinder that has a float section on it and am wondering if there is any Parker experts on here that could help me out?
    anyway some pictures. I dont do anything with the brake, my employees are great and that thing is a dilexic nightmare come true I can bend sheets the wrong way faster than I can add up the price of the metal lol.
    Last edited by idacal; 12-05-2021 at 08:49 PM.

21. Likes whtbaron, 12V71, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

was looking through some pictures on my computer of this year, found these of my little guy one day I can hold him in one hand, seems like the next he is swiping my impact to help me break down truck tires on a truck going to scrap and pulling bolts for the fun of it. this time of the year I try to always look through some of the stuff that got finished and what didn't and that way as winter hits the weather doesn't get me down.
    Last edited by idacal; 12-05-2021 at 09:53 PM.

23. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323, 12V71, _Weldman_, mikejxms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems not that long ago that my kids were at that same stage. Now my 6'8" grandson looks down at me and laughs.... time flies...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

25. Likes 12V71, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

a few projects going on in the shop

When my daughter was about 8 or 9 my New Holland dealer dropped off a new Takeuchi mini ex for her to learn on.

She had fun for a week and I was a proud dad.

She just turned 20, lives in NYC and her career is the farthest away from heavy equipment as one could imagine. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

27. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My oldest daughter would run anything she had a chance to get on, loader, scraper, excavator, small dozer, etc. I couldn't get her to weld pipe but that was ok. She's 34 now and has 6,000 acres of dryland wheat farm and her pet piece of equipment is her 9400 John Deere wheel tractor. The oldest grandson is 14 and handles a lot of the tillage work now.
    My son got into the welding/machining part of things and is now the chief of maintenance for a large multinational company making tons of money. It's nice to see the kids doing well.

29. Likes _Weldman_, whtbaron, Lis2323, mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep.... one son is a foreman for a tire shop, the other is a foreman for pipelines, and my daughter is in the process of moving into a managerial position with the post office. We've done well. Middle son helps me out seeding when he's between pipeline jobs, and my daughter in law drives the combine, my daughter helps out at harvest driving the truck.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

31. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thats what i want for my 2 kids, self sufficient, happy, and the cherry on the top would be local so I can see them once in while. got a ways to go though still 7 and 6

33. Likes 12V71, Lis2323, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thats what i want for my 2 kids, self sufficient, happy, and the cherry on the top would be local so I can see them once in while. got a ways to go though still 7 and 6
    You nailed it Good moral judgement ,
    self sufficient and happy,

I admit a big part of that is selfishness on my part being able to die at at any time
    not worrying, but so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

35. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist