+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shipyard question?

Post Thanks / Like

Shipyard question?

Hello, I'm about to graduate from a local technical college's welding program and I'm thinking of going to work in a shipyard to put back money and start my own mobile welding business. I'm going to have to relocate to work in the shipyard though and was wondering which areas that do shipbuilding would you recommend going to work at?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shipyard question?

Self employment can a hard road. You must be dedicated to be Self employed and flexible too.
    The easy way is the job but they can run out of work.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Hello, I'm about to graduate from a local technical college's welding program and I'm thinking of going to work in a shipyard to put back money and start my own mobile welding business. I'm going to have to relocate to work in the shipyard though and was wondering which areas that do shipbuilding would you recommend going to work at?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like

why u fixated on ship yard, or whats someone(s) telling u ? not, sure, but id think most places by water w/ something goin on, would be high rent district, so might be hard to save $. at least by me it is. ive seen ads for ship welders in "aLAMEDA CALIF" for ship welders, saying bring ur own whip for a test/tryout. i suppose alsaka woudnt be such a high rent/desireable place to rent and id think there would be repairs on ship/boats there, maybe save some $ there if the environment doesnt drive u to drink not a thing or type of crowd id be attracted too.
    Last edited by 123weld; 01-26-2022 at 10:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I may get into construction or fabrication instead.

Post Thanks / Like

There also repair too.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The Electric Boat division of General Dynamics is here in Groton, CT and they are building the Virginia class submarines. They can't hire welders fast enough. They are advertising on local TV all the time for welders, painters, pipe fitters, etc. I read somewhere they are paying $80K per year for welders, but not sure how much experience you need to make that kind of money. https://careers-gdeb.icims.com/jobs/...hed=-625976242

Cost of living in that part of the state is not too bad either, relative to some other parts of CT and the NY metro area
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Don't rule out refineries. There is one in my town, and they hire out most of their welding work to outside contractors. I've got a bunch of furnished rental houses that I rent out to the traveling contractors.
    Furnished houses in Coffeyville Kansas. Weekly rental rates. All bills paid. Full kitchen, washer/dryer, cable/wifi. For traveling workers.

9. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A ship yard might be a good place to get experience, never worked in one. Learn your skill maybe jump around to find what you like and when you think you know something, get fired and start your own thing! Been self employed since 2003 and loving it!
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

Seen a couple really good young welders come from ship work.

Post Thanks / Like

How hunting going.
    It is a hard decision 😪
    I spent 40 years self employment. The I was disabled then work federal government with a small retirement from the federal government with ssa.

Myself if I had to do over agin I would do repair welding on a pickup with a few tools like lathe and press.
    There is a lot money in repairs for someone that has the right tools on a pickup.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Seen a couple really good young welders come from ship work.
    I knew a couple of really good shipyard guys that put in 20 years that wouldn't touch a stinger when they got out. The place just burned them out. That was Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. One guy said that "when you went home and came back to your shift, the joint looked just like it did when you left", Swing and graveyard didn't do much due to lack of supervision.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, I met a couple then 23 or so that were just joining Ironwork. One very clearly one of the best I ever see considering,,, he said, yes, burn a box of rod and move a foot or 2. Its not something I might want to stay at but a couple years there and the trades like you.

Post Thanks / Like

Bath Iron Works in Maine is a General Dynamics operation and they too are advertising for all trades constantly. Its a nice area if the cold winters are somethig you can tolerate.

Post Thanks / Like

Many people, when you say "ship welding," automatically think, "Newport News." That's up in Virginia, a huge, huge place where they build aircraft carriers and nuclear subs. I hear mixed reviews on what it's like to live in NN, but the people who work at the Huntington-Ingalls shipyard seem to love it with a passion. Do some YouTube searching for it.

Just remember, there are a MILLION different ways to get into welding.
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist