+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Shop Guys What is a tool you use frequently that is out of the norm

Post Thanks / Like

Small Shop Guys What is a tool you use frequently that is out of the norm

Just curious what guys have that weld part time, side Hussle or beer money use that is out of the norm??? I imagine we all have grinders, band saws, radio and refrigerator.
    I weld in my 2 car garage and space is very limited.
    My magnetic drill has been very helpful as is my 20 ton press with the Swag Off Road press brake.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small Shop Guys What is a tool you use frequently that is out of the norm

These are some non conventional things I use:

Box fan with home air conditioner filters makes an excellent garage air cleaner.

A scissor jack, ratchet straps, bottle jack, and come along (these are probably pretty common).

Furniture style lifting lever (google), along with dolly/sliders to move really heavy stuff.

I love my tri-stand (usually for plumbers, found cheaply on craigslist type apps) as a very heavy duty base/stand that folds up nicely into the size of a set of golf clubs. I like the chain vise versions with either the lever or the screw tightening mechanism, use a piece of leather to protect metal from chain if so needed.

3. Likes Roert42, greenbuggy, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people might consider my railroad anvils out of the norm, but they are pretty standard in this crowd. I also have a large nut welded on a scissor jack so I can move things around in tight places with the impact (probably not recommended).
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

5. Likes 12V71, _Weldman_, Eric H-L liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Some people might consider my railroad anvils out of the norm, but they are pretty standard in this crowd. I also have a large nut welded on a scissor jack so I can move things around in tight places with the impact (probably not recommended).
    Scissor jacks are great for leveling stuff like irrigation filters and piping. Got a half dozen from late 90's Chevy pickups with nuts welded to the shaft. A ratchet and a 15/16" socket makes for easy fine tuning.

7. Likes whtbaron, farmall, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The hydraulic lift cart as a welding table. Raymond Head first turned me onto the idea with this photo of one of his power hammers under construction. Being able to raise or lower the work to get at a weld is great, but the cart is still a cart and can be used to offload the truck or move things around the shop. The older I get, the more I appreciate someone else doing the heavy lifting!

Just saw that one of the big companies is now making a small welding table that is similar, but doesn't have much in the way of elevation capacity.

For more general stuff, I'd have to say that my belt grinders are probably the two most used and underrated tools. When I got my 2x72 grinder, I was gobsmacked at just how handy it was and still marvel at how I ever survived without it.

I need to get a mag drill, but lately I've been really curious about those metal-cutting circular saws for their portability.

9. Likes whtbaron, 12345678910, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A good host is big help.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    These are some non conventional things I use:

Box fan with home air conditioner filters makes an excellent garage air cleaner.

A scissor jack, ratchet straps, bottle jack, and come along (these are probably pretty common).

Furniture style lifting lever (google), along with dolly/sliders to move really heavy stuff.

I love my tri-stand (usually for plumbers, found cheaply on craigslist type apps) as a very heavy duty base/stand that folds up nicely into the size of a set of golf clubs. I like the chain vise versions with either the lever or the screw tightening mechanism, use a piece of leather to protect metal from chain if so needed.

11. Likes Roert42, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post

I also have a tri stand and with the chain, you can hold odd shapes .

Name:  717oHxOE5vL.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  49.9 KB

Using pipe vises since you can make them any length you want.

Here is an idea I came up with a while ago to use my vise in a way similar to a carpenters tail stock vise.
    Name:  20200525_171651.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  91.6 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

13. Likes VaughnT, whtbaron, farmall, chewinggum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A HF port-a-band in a Swag table to make a vertical bandsaw is the tool I’m most surprised at how often I use it.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

15. Likes VaughnT, chewinggum, SARR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too use the HF hyd lift table for lots of things, so many I can't name them all. For instance with a milk crate on it it supports 20' lengths of steel while cutting off pieces, to put lawn mowers and snowblowers on to get them up to a convenient working height, small engine welders, etc. It's just my little helper for heavy lifting which my 74 yr old back doesn't like anymore. I also have a swinging boom with a long reach jack for setting boom angle and a boat winch for setting heavy objects on the lift table. Since the lift table jack tends to leak under load I rigged up a chain setup on the scissor mechanism to hold the load for extended periods.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

17. Likes VaughnT, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

High lift pallet jack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

19. Likes VaughnT, scsmith42, _Weldman_, bfjou812 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Assistant or first aid attendant ....

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Assistant or first aid attendant ....

OK,, after that ,, I got NOTHIN' !! ` . ~ ~

22. Likes Lis2323, whtbaron, JimboTN, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

lol.... she'd make a good host for Smithdoor too. Odd how the over 50 crowd is heavy on jacks and hoists to lift things for us...my chiropractor would be impressed.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

24. Likes 12V71, JimboTN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    lol.... she'd make a good host for Smithdoor too. Odd how the over 50 crowd is heavy on jacks and hoists to lift things for us...my chiropractor would be impressed.
    I dated a chiropractor a long while ago.

Pretty certain she couldn't give a crap...

:

26. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Magnetic drill. I use mine, more than my drill press. Any steel over 1/4" thick that needs a hole bigger than 7/16" (my smallest annular cutter) i use the mag drill. Plasma table is probably out of the norm too

Post Thanks / Like

All great Ideas. If you have pictures that may help as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_6881.JPG
Views: 1279
Size:  250.4 KB

Oh we've got all kinds of pictures... glad to be of assistance...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

30. Likes 12V71, Reebz, LtBadd, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  580 Super N.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  149.7 KB

Sort of a rare project doesn't involve this.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

32. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Name:  580 Super N.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  149.7 KB

Sort of a rare project doesn't involve this.
    That's a nice looking TLB

:

Post Thanks / Like

This probably sounds stupid, but the tool I use most, that you'd not even think would get much use....................A 6" 4R ruler. Get you oneName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 1259
Size:  1.1 KB

35. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    This probably sounds stupid, but the tool I use most, that you'd not even think would get much use....................A 6" 4R ruler. Get you oneName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
    What's 4R?
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the washer a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

38. Likes chewinggum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    What's 4R?
    4r is the type of calibration. 1/64", 1/32", 1)16" and 1/8" increments. Usually a 6" scale type or a 12" combination square or ruler in 4r.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    When she was little my daughter used to
    complain I had too many rules...

:

Post Thanks / Like

The older I get, the less I bother with the blurred-out portions on the rulers. If it can't be made with the big hashmarks above an eighth of an inch.... it doesn't need to be made at all.

42. Likes Reebz, shortfuse liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist