+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for Opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for Opinions

I have been a welder for 10 years. Half of that as a pipe welder and the other half at an all around Fab shop. I took an opportunity to become a project manager which has been nice but also miss being able to build/ fabricate, and also don't want what skills I have developed to rust entirely. Also, i get opportunities to do work for people but have always turn them down, but now it would be nice to have the ability to do some side work to fund my other hobbies.
    Here's the pickle I'm in.
    I don't have a garage to work out of. I do have a 12x16 shed but no electricity to it, and without the possibility of adding power anytime soon.
    there are several routes i have thought about going.
    Hobart Elite 225- 11,000 amp generator, so i can run a smaller multiprocess welder. That would fix my needs of being mobile and having access to all processes. It would also keep me around $6,000, which is my budget. Cons - would have to get a trailer to tow it since i'm limited on bed space. and i've heard its horrendously loud which is just an inconvenience really not a serious con.
    other option is to just get a capable generator and a Multiprocess welder. Maybe a little cheaper. Potentially Smaller footprint? But does it make sense?

What do y'all think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for Opinions

Welcome!! When not driving your desk go walk around the project your workers are on. Just chit chat with them for short times and move along so they don't feel you're looking over their shoulder. If the Hobart is too loud build a 3 sided enclosure with no roof and with fiberglas insulation with glas facing inside and make it big enough for good cooling air circulation.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I take it is a home shop.
    I do not know how close you are to neighbors. But real close a block fence fill with sand keep sound down and insulated ceiling.
    Are a long distance from home?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nes1993 View Post
    I have been a welder for 10 years. Half of that as a pipe welder and the other half at an all around Fab shop. I took an opportunity to become a project manager which has been nice but also miss being able to build/ fabricate, and also don't want what skills I have developed to rust entirely. Also, i get opportunities to do work for people but have always turn them down, but now it would be nice to have the ability to do some side work to fund my other hobbies.
    Here's the pickle I'm in.
    I don't have a garage to work out of. I do have a 12x16 shed but no electricity to it, and without the possibility of adding power anytime soon.
    there are several routes i have thought about going.
    Hobart Elite 225- 11,000 amp generator, so i can run a smaller multiprocess welder. That would fix my needs of being mobile and having access to all processes. It would also keep me around $6,000, which is my budget. Cons - would have to get a trailer to tow it since i'm limited on bed space. and i've heard its horrendously loud which is just an inconvenience really not a serious con.
    other option is to just get a capable generator and a Multiprocess welder. Maybe a little cheaper. Potentially Smaller footprint? But does it make sense?

What do y'all think?

Post Thanks / Like

I always wanna ask,,,, why cant you get power?

5. Likes welding1, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem of not much space, little shed and wanting to get a mobile setup going.

I ended up buying a 13kva 3 phase gas generator https://www.ablesales.com.au/diesel-...rade-spec.html

And using that to run my welders, a Kemppi Fitweld 300 EVO and now a Lincoln 270SX mostly for carbon arc, but also heavy stick and TIG.

I like to portability of a generator (the one there is only 165kg with 40 liters/10gallons of fuel) and the you are not limited to using the Genset to use a welder like you are with an engine drive, plus it's on wheels so can be pretty easily moved by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    I had a similar problem of not much space, little shed and wanting to get a mobile setup going.

I ended up buying a 13kva 3 phase gas generator https://www.ablesales.com.au/diesel-...rade-spec.html

And using that to run my welders, a Kemppi Fitweld 300 EVO and now a Lincoln 270SX mostly for carbon arc, but also heavy stick and TIG.

I like to portability of a generator (the one there is only 165kg with 40 liters/10gallons of fuel) and the you are not limited to using the Genset to use a welder like you are with an engine drive, plus it's on wheels so can be pretty easily moved by hand.
    Interesting, I've been told you need a 20kva genny to run a 300 amp MIG set properly... even the modern inverters... can you max it out on that genny then?
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

8. Likes ttoks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Save your money and build an extension cord for either your range outlet or dryer outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Save your money and build an extension cord for either your range outlet or dryer outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah look I got told the same thing, and I'm sure that it's not exactly great for the genset, but yeah I can run my 300 amp mig at 30 volts and 300 amps with .045 dual shield, my 13KVA gen set outputs 12k watt's peak and 11k watts continuous, the numbers for 300 amps and 30 volts are 9k watts, times by the efficiency of the machine which is 84% so the draw at the plug is 10715, which is cutting it pretty tight, but that 12k watts peak output cover's the startup, and I havn't had any problems, I don't tend to run it flat out, more like 27 volts and 250-270 amps which is closer to 8.5k watts wall draw which keeps me well in my gen sets capability.

I also have a 9KVA 7.2Kw single phase generator that runs a lincoln Powercraft 250C MIG, this pic is an 8mm overhead done with Kobelco DW-50 dual shield a 100% CO2 done with that 9kva generator and 250 amp MIG at 26 volts and 360 IPM, this is right at the limit for this generator though.

the 13KVA 3 phase gen set won't run my 270SX with stick at max though, the short circuit at the beginning of a stick weld just stalls the gen set, so 200ish amps with a 5/32 7018 is all it will do with stick, even then the striking the rod is hard on the gen set.

12. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the eld timers on the Miller forum lived in a nice place, had a garage was spec built and had 30A service. He was an early adopter of bit smaller machines, I think he has a 210 and small wire and a 375 cutter, worked outside during the day and managed. It was a hobby deal though.
    A genset is a poor way to do fab work. Gould fire it incidently to do heavier welding, but cant imagine today not being able to reach something with a common cord, do I really wanna do fab work away from simple line power?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Good for the machine itself and a guy can weld quite heavy with modern equipment. Only downside with that might be lack of 120V. Not too long ago we wouldnt have considered a 120V ord out to 100 ft and be able to do general work. They make a machine weighs 15# and runs 1/8 6011 and 3/32 lo hy north of 100 ft cost under 200$ and for another 50$ can get dvi and do 1/8. Even if I was to come up with some other kind of scheme this would be a start ing point if I didnt have squat.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup may want to consider acquiring and enclosed trailer and setting up your fab shop inside it. That way everything is out of the weather and you can go mobile with it for the side jobs.

Either an engine driven welder or a generator could be installed inside.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to beat an engine drive for being able to work in remote locations. Many years ago, I bought a new Bobcat 250. It welds great, powers my Millermatic 210 if needed, and runs my house during these stupid Public Safety Power Shutoffs. It's mounted on a Harbor Freight trailer with a tongue upgrade. Over the years, it's been on two of those, a tool bed trailer, and a base with big casters. The little (40x48" bed) HF trailer isn't showing on the website any more, but many of the stores still have them. I think it's about 1200 lb capacity, carries my Bobcat and my O/A tanks easily. Way less $ than the Miller trailer, and makes moving the machine easy. Weak point is the supplied stamped steel tongue, it's short and weak. I replaced it with a 7' piece of 3" square tubing, and changed to a 2" ball coupler.

If I had to regularly run without power in the shop, I'd get a smaller generator to run the lights and saws. Less gas and less noise. I'd also get a good popup canopy and work outside as much as possible.
    Miller 250P, MM210, Bobcat 250
    Lincoln 225AC/DC, Pro-Mig 175
    Lotos Cut 50
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    Titanium Easy Flux 125

17. Likes Roert42 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist