+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 16 Hours of GMAW Training/Instruction?

Post Thanks / Like

16 Hours of GMAW Training/Instruction?

I finally found a place that offers welding training/instruction! There's a beginner GMAW class that they hold on weekends for the hobbyist which is exactly what I want to be. Is 16 hours enough hands on training/instruction to get me started on the right foot? I guess it's better than no formal training/instruction at all but wanted to see if it's worth the price lol. The place is charging $375 for the 16 hours of training.

They also offer an "advanced" GMAW course which I'm planning on taking right after the beginner course, assuming I like welding and find the instruction to be satisfactory. Sent several requests for info to the local community colleges near me so hopefully I hear back from them soon. I'm hoping to kickstart my soon-to-be welding hobby with formal training then lots and lots of practice along with reading, YouTube videos, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 16 Hours of GMAW Training/Instruction?

I think you'll be way ahead of the game by taking that class. $375 for 16 hours is very, very reasonable. Having someone walk you through the basics, then be there to demonstrate is huge and having that person then be there to watch you and make corrections before you develop bad habits is a major benefit. You should be able to leave that class and tackle most hobby projects pretty easily and start building advanced skills on a solid foundation.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

3. Likes Ambull01, wb4rt, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh hell yes! That sounds great, thanks for the reply. I've wanted to learn how to weld for years so finally going to do it. Hopefully I can skip the community college welding classes and use the money saved on a welder and welding gear/accessories.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you in not getting too complicated here and the 210 is the right machine for you, the new hobby guy. They got u 4 a poster child on the wall where they designed it. The only thing better than that is another one with small wire in it for sheet and exhaust. Its a machine for fixing stuff. You got one you wont feel like upgrading a day after you use it. You never see them for sale as people that buy them kee them.
    Last edited by Sberry; 10-06-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Good for you in not getting too complicated here and the 210 is the right machine for you, the new hobby guy. They got u 4 a poster child on the wall where they designed it. The only thing better than that is another one with small wire in it for sheet and exhaust. Its a machine for fixing stuff. You got one you wont feel like upgrading a day after you use it. You never see them for sale as people that buy them kee them.
    lol poster child. You really seem to have a high regard for this 210. At first I was planning on getting the Hobart 140 but figured I'd get the 210 just in case I needed the extra power in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think gmaw is the way to start a begginer. id think $ 375 would easily buy u a full semester of 1 or 2 nights a week (lecture and shop time) w/ a good/full book at the community college. it is par, to spend a whole semester on understanding safety, regulators,, torch, gas welding, cutting/grinderss,polarities , filler metals ,etc and a better hands on concept on puddle control/characteristics from gas and stick welding and learn to set up a welder. all boring stuff, i know, but in long run, u'll thank urself. after a good begginer course, u can turn urself loose on whatever other types of welding processes, u want w/ a lil utube or a book, and get satisfactory results

8. Likes 12V71, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a very reasonable price for the beginner class and is a great idea. How much of that time is in the classroom on theory and how much is spent in the booth welding?

My regular job paid for me to attend the one week GMAW class taught by Lincoln Electric at their Ohio plant several years ago. I think is cost around $750 or so. We would spend one hour in the morning on theory and then the rest of the day in the booth.

I would suggest taking the first class and then using those skills for a bit before jumping right into taking the next class. You need time to build up muscle memory.

I also agree on getting the 210. Even though I use Miller machines at work and home, I used the Lincoln 210MP in the class and really liked it for its size and capabilities. If you are getting the Hobart 210MVP it should serve you well.

Make sure you read up on equipment needed for the class and take everything with you. Several students forgot something at home and had to buy it at the school. The school had everything you might have forgotten at a good price, but it sucks to buy something you forgot.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

A 140 is a good machine but the 210 is 2x as good. Its simply a matter of power and uses so much better circuit to weld from than 120V.
    There are several thoughts to classes. They are good and while the idea of starting from scratch seems ideal most people in this position have things they want to do. They really aint setting out to be career welders. I know a couple guys that couldnt stick weld themselves inside a box but are really good fabricators and wire weld quite well.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Sberry; 10-07-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You already passed a good point in that seems you have good simple sense and really got the right machine. I congratulate you on the Hobart but the others are good too. Learning how to "research" and come to that conclusion shows you are on the right path. There are other threads show the wrong way,,, the Dialarc thread comes to mind. Yes the Dial is a good machine but its not right for the first for the guy asking and you got past that here.
    I like the HF welding hood, the BD grinder from Walmart, there are others similar, get small roll of 023 for thin work and 030 in that unit for fabrication,,, structural type work.

Post Thanks / Like

I began welding 52 years ago. I keep buying my way deeper into it. If I could have seen my own future, I'd have bought great welder(s) 52 years ago. I've owned a good many welders, each an upgrade. Most wasted money, as they only were replaced by a better welder.

I suppose you need to learn if welding is for you, some do, some don't.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

13. Likes John Baptist, Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i dont think gmaw is the way to start a begginer. id think $ 375 would easily buy u a full semester of 1 or 2 nights a week (lecture and shop time) w/ a good/full book at the community college. it is par, to spend a whole semester on understanding safety, regulators,, torch, gas welding, cutting/grinderss,polarities , filler metals ,etc and a better hands on concept on puddle control/characteristics from gas and stick welding and learn to set up a welder. all boring stuff, i know, but in long run, u'll thank urself. after a good begginer course, u can turn urself loose on whatever other types of welding processes, u want w/ a lil utube or a book, and get satisfactory results
    That's a good point. I would love to learn about metal characteristics/behavior type of stuff, just for personal knowledge. I bought a used welding textbook from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Welding-Princ...=UTF8&me=&qid=). Read some good reviews about the Welding: Principles and Applications textbook so hopefully it turns out to have great useful info. It's an older edition but hopefully not much has changed since it came out lol. I figure I'll read through that from front to back and try to apply what I read.

I'm not sure about the $375, should know soon though once some of the community colleges I requested info from gets back to me. I don't know if they do the semester hour thing with welding courses (i.e. 3 semester hours for the classroom stuff and maybe 1 semester hour for the lab). The NOVA CC is about $185 per semester hour so 4 semester hours would be $740 plus shop fees/other fees if it applies.

Another good point you brought up is the polarity thing. I don't know anything about polarities lol. Saw some YouTube videos that mentioned DC positive and DC negative I believe. I need to educate myself on that and other topics related to it.

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    That is a very reasonable price for the beginner class and is a great idea. How much of that time is in the classroom on theory and how much is spent in the booth welding?

My regular job paid for me to attend the one week GMAW class taught by Lincoln Electric at their Ohio plant several years ago. I think is cost around $750 or so. We would spend one hour in the morning on theory and then the rest of the day in the booth.

I would suggest taking the first class and then using those skills for a bit before jumping right into taking the next class. You need time to build up muscle memory.

I also agree on getting the 210. Even though I use Miller machines at work and home, I used the Lincoln 210MP in the class and really liked it for its size and capabilities. If you are getting the Hobart 210MVP it should serve you well.

Make sure you read up on equipment needed for the class and take everything with you. Several students forgot something at home and had to buy it at the school. The school had everything you might have forgotten at a good price, but it sucks to buy something you forgot.
    I spoke to the school owner briefly last night and he mentioned it's 16 hours straight of welding. I'm sure some of it is theory/safe practices though. From what I gathered I believe the school supplies all the equipment needed. I should probably buy some fire resistant shirts or something though, don't want to light myself on fire my first attempt with welding lol.

You already passed a good point in that seems you have good simple sense and really got the right machine. I congratulate you on the Hobart but the others are good too. Learning how to "research" and come to that conclusion shows you are on the right path. There are other threads show the wrong way,,, the Dialarc thread comes to mind. Yes the Dial is a good machine but its not right for the first for the guy asking and you got past that here.
    I like the HF welding hood, the BD grinder from Walmart, there are others similar, get small roll of 023 for thin work and 030 in that unit for fabrication,,, structural type work.
    Yeah I always search for "best budget ....." whenever I plan on buying something. I definitely do not need top of the line stuff but don't want to buy junk either.

I already have a a grinder and a bunch of other tools in my garage. My other hobby is attempting to fix my vehicles lol. It's frustrating as hell sometimes (like when I can't get a bolt out or strip something) but it can also be a form of meditation for me. I work in front of a computer everyday, it can be pretty boring and monotonous so my idea is to acquire hobbies that allow me to "work with my hands." I have a welding hood picked out from Tractor Supply along with a bunch of other items (gloves, welding table, etc.). Went to several sites online to read about tools/items every beginner welder should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I began welding 52 years ago. I keep buying my way deeper into it. If I could have seen my own future, I'd have bought great welder(s) 52 years ago. I've owned a good many welders, each an upgrade. Most wasted money, as they only were replaced by a better welder.

I suppose you need to learn if welding is for you, some do, some don't.
    Damn, 52 years! That's dedication. I'm really hoping I like welding. The thought of being able to make useful, nice things is very appealing lol. I actually got my wife onboard with my desire to learn how to weld by going on Pinterest and showing her all the cool things you can make with welding (i.e. benches, chairs, yard decoration, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ambull01 View Post
    Another good point you brought up is the polarity thing. I don't know anything about polarities lol. Saw some YouTube videos that mentioned DC positive and DC negative I believe. I need to educate myself on that and other topics related to it.
    It's actually pretty simple. When you're talking about DC welding, imagine a car battery with red and black (positive and negative) terminals. For a wire feeder setup like the 210 the wire is positive when welding with shielding gas, and negative when welding with flux core wire (no shielding gas). The wire is the electrode so it's DC Electrode Positive (DCEP) with gas and DC Electrode Negative (DCEN) with flux core.

The way to make that change at the machine is usually by switching the wire connections near the wire feed mechanism. One wire goes to the wire feed and the other to the work cable/clamp (often incorrectly called a ground clamp...it's not really a ground as it's supposed to carry current and a ground isn't supposed to carry current unless something is wrong). For DCEP you put the cable from the wire feed on the positive terminal and the cable from the work clamp on the negative terminal...for DCEN you simply reverse those connections.

Stick welding using DC can be either DCEP or DCEN depending upon the rod in use, thickness of the metal, type of metal, etc.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

16. Likes Ambull01 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    It's actually pretty simple. When you're talking about DC welding, imagine a car battery with red and black (positive and negative) terminals. For a wire feeder setup like the 210 the wire is positive when welding with shielding gas, and negative when welding with flux core wire (no shielding gas). The wire is the electrode so it's DC Electrode Positive (DCEP) with gas and DC Electrode Negative (DCEN) with flux core.

The way to make that change at the machine is usually by switching the wire connections near the wire feed mechanism. One wire goes to the wire feed and the other to the work cable/clamp (often incorrectly called a ground clamp...it's not really a ground as it's supposed to carry current and a ground isn't supposed to carry current unless something is wrong). For DCEP you put the cable from the wire feed on the positive terminal and the cable from the work clamp on the negative terminal...for DCEN you simply reverse those connections.

Stick welding using DC can be either DCEP or DCEN depending upon the rod in use, thickness of the metal, type of metal, etc.
    Oh yeah that does sound pretty simple, thanks for that explanation. Just looked up AC vs DC too since I didn't know what that means either lol.

The community college responded to my request for info. They have a Welding: Basic Techniques program that's 18 semester hours. So $185.50 x 18 = $3,339. That's kind of pricey for my intentions (welding just as a hobby). I'm also only interested in learning FCAW and GMAW. I'll read the textbook I ordered for an explanation of the other welding processes but I don't want to go down a welding rabbit hole and end up buying multiple welders lol. I'm trying to follow the KISS method.

Post Thanks / Like

I think paying $375.00 with hours of was worth the price. Happy days of welding.

My training was buy welder and the wire feeder with Lincoln Bible using a Airco welder and Miller welding machine. Then had to my own chart for welding settings. So must fun do not try that any where 😠🤬😈👹

Dave

I finally found a place that offers welding training/instruction! There's a beginner GMAW class that they hold on weekends for the hobbyist which is exactly what I want to be. Is 16 hours enough hands on training/instruction to get me started on the right foot? I guess it's better than no formal training/instruction at all but wanted to see if it's worth the price lol. The place is charging $375 for the 16 hours of training.

They also offer an "advanced" GMAW course which I'm planning on taking right after the beginner course, assuming I like welding and find the instruction to be satisfactory. Sent several requests for info to the local community colleges near me so hopefully I hear back from them soon. I'm hoping to kickstart my soon-to-be welding hobby with formal training then lots and lots of practice along with reading, YouTube videos, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I think paying $375.00 with hours of was worth the price. Happy days of welding.

My training was buy welder and the wire feeder with Lincoln Bible using a Airco welder and Miller welding machine. Then had to my own chart for welding settings. So must fun do not try that any where 郎

Dave
    Yeah that was my initial plan, the whole learn as you go route. I don't want to waste a lot of time fumbling around more than necessary though lol. I know I'll still make a ton of mistakes even after going through the class but hopefully I'll learn some good habits and what "right" looks like before I start practicing on my own.

Found the Hobart 210MVP on a site called Blain's Farm and Fleet for $850. Called Tractor Supply and they will price match it! TS has the 210MVP listed at $950. Just saved $100 on the welder! Now I can use that $100 to buy some wire or something lol

Post Thanks / Like

Metallurgy has changed very little in all the years. Welders have changed a great deal. I'll say the greatest amount of change has come as a reaction to helium being scarce. Heliarc now known as TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) was first used for aluminum, magnesium, & titanium. Years back, they used helium as shielding gas. Shortage & cost forced the transition to argon. A multitude of changes in TIG welders have tried to compensate for not having helium.

The other significant change was inverter welders. They can have great new features, and use less power.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

As for school, it comes down to the instructor. I've taken several night classes. Sometimes I get a knowledgeable instructor, other times I don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah that does sound pretty simple, thanks for that explanation. Just looked up AC vs DC too since I didn't know what that means either lol.

The community college responded to my request for info. They have a Welding: Basic Techniques program that's 18 semester hours. So $185.50 x 18 = $3,339. .
    thats pretty good at $185.00 an hr., per head x 20 kids/pupils. i could probbaly send my daughter to yale/princeton to learn to weld for that. when i was going to community college , it was about 1 dollar an hr. currently for the class i described at comminity college where i live is about $4 an hour. a semester has b/t 56 - 60 shop hours, 15 lecture hrs. , and a semester is typically 15 weeks. cost is just under $50 dollars a unit, the course is 3 units, and a few other fees, w/ grand total about $200 for the course.

Post Thanks / Like

Have fun
    It time ⏲️ to learn.
    The first I welded with MIG I had almost 15 years stick welding.

You find the chart on welder is a big help.

Dave

Yeah that was my initial plan, the whole learn as you go route. I don't want to waste a lot of time fumbling around more than necessary though lol. I know I'll still make a ton of mistakes even after going through the class but hopefully I'll learn some good habits and what "right" looks like before I start practicing on my own.

Found the Hobart 210MVP on a site called Blain's Farm and Fleet for $850. Called Tractor Supply and they will price match it! TS has the 210MVP listed at $950. Just saved $100 on the welder! Now I can use that $100 to buy some wire or something lol

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, long 4000$ course isnt for you to learn to glue with a feeder. Be different at Hobart or Lincoln etc but lots of the com college is hand holding for new sprouts and you don't really need to learn to use a tape measure and this type of work is really more about fab than welding. I had metallurgy class in college and remember very little of it besides a couple basics, just don't need a whole lot to kick and beat some steel. I know some really top weldors don't know much about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Metallurgy has changed very little in all the years. Welders have changed a great deal. I'll say the greatest amount of change has come as a reaction to helium being scarce. Heliarc now known as TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) was first used for aluminum, magnesium, & titanium. Years back, they used helium as shielding gas. Shortage & cost forced the transition to argon. A multitude of changes in TIG welders have tried to compensate for not having helium.

The other significant change was inverter welders. They can have great new features, and use less power.
    That's another thing I need to educate myself on, the different types/versions of welders. Was reading through that Dialarc thread about needing an engine hoist/forklift just to lift the welder lol. I was looking at the weight of the Hobart 210MVP (I think it's about 70lbs or so) and thought that was kind of heavy. I'll also have to find a place to buy a tank and some gas. Kind of hoping I can get away with using just straight C100 vs C25. Sounds like it will be a lot cheaper. Welding will also give me another excuse to go to the car pick-a-part place and peruse for parts and scrap metal to practice on.

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    thats pretty good at $185.00 an hr., per head x 20 kids/pupils. i could probbaly send my daughter to yale/princeton to learn to weld for that. when i was going to community college , it was about 1 dollar an hr. currently for the class i described at comminity college where i live is about $4 an hour. a semester has b/t 56 - 60 shop hours, 15 lecture hrs. , and a semester is typically 15 weeks. cost is just under $50 dollars a unit, the course is 3 units, and a few other fees, w/ grand total about $200 for the course.
    Yale/Princeton lol. If I still have no clue what I'm doing after this weekend class I'm going to do then I may think about going the CC route but hopefully I'll be able to pick and choose the classes vs doing the whole program.

I agree, long 4000$ course isnt for you to learn to glue with a feeder. Be different at Hobart or Lincoln etc but lots of the com college is hand holding for new sprouts and you don't really need to learn to use a tape measure and this type of work is really more about fab than welding. I had metallurgy class in college and remember very little of it besides a couple basics, just don't need a whole lot to kick and beat some steel. I know some really top weldors don't know much about it.
    Now that sounds like the way to go, take a class from Hobart or Lincoln. I got the old welding textbook in the mail yesterday and tried to read it last night. I made it through three pages then passed out. I'll have to drink some coffee while reading next time so I can take notes and hopefully retain some of the info.

Post Thanks / Like

From big schools have turnouts are rod burners.
    One best class I took was manual drafting. It helps in laying out metal.

Most schools are training for welding and cutting.
    Fabrication, field work and repair work is where the high paying jobs.
    Even how do a welding job without a high tech tools. Even found some could not adjust the welder that had not chart, today it is a LCD screen too.

Dave

Last edited by smithdoor; 10-08-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI
    I am not saying all schools are just turning out high tech rod burners.
    The last time take to welder from one schools most of was under1/4" plate and how to TIG weld a coke can. His first job was welding 2" plate in a construction. The certification was on 1/2" plate.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

"If I still have no clue what I'm doing after this weekend class I'm going to do then I may think about going the CC route but hopefully I'll be able to pick and choose the classes vs doing the whole program.
    "

You'll most likely will not need any more classes for GMAW.

These types of work space classes are great and just what one needs to get the ball rolling.

No need for Community College classes that are geared more for a trades person career route.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

"If I still have no clue what I'm doing after this weekend class I'm going to do then I may think about going the CC route but hopefully I'll be able to pick and choose the classes vs doing the whole program.
    "

You'll most likely will not need any more classes for GMAW.

These types of work space classes are great and just what one needs to get the ball rolling.

No need for Community College classes that are geared more for a trades person career route.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist