+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi welder machines

Post Thanks / Like

Multi welder machines

HELLO EVERYONE
    , I AM AN ENTHUSIAST AND I COME ACROSS A MULTIWELDER 5 IN ONE, 4 IN ONE. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A SENSE OF IT AND I MADE A RESEARCH. JUST SCRATCHED THE SURFACE. CAN I HAVE PROS OPINIONS ABOUT A GOOD ALL-AROUND WELDER IN FARMING APPLICATIONS SOMETHING THAT WOULD NOT BREAK A BANK BUT WILL BE RELIABLE. UNFORTUNATELY, REVIEW WEBSITES ARE WRITING BS DEPENDING ON WHO PAYS MORE AND THERE IS NO CONSENSUS EVEN WITHIN 3 OR 4 MACHINES. MACHINES I HAVE IN MIND IE: MILLER MULTIMATIC SERIES(GOOD BUT EXPENSIVE) YesWelder FIRSTESS™ MP200 5-in-1 Welder & Cutter( MID RANDE PRICE BUT PROTOTYPE SO NOT CONVINCING THAT IT WILL BE RELIABLE )... THERE ARE 5-6 MORE MACHINES LIKE THAT OTHER MANUFACTURERS BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HAT TO CHOOSE THANK YOU FOR YOUR OPINIONS.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Multi welder machines

#1 what are you welding? Thicknesses, material type, etc.
    #2 what's your budget
    #3 please don't type in all capital letters

3. Likes INXS2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I've always wondered about all in one machines: if you lose one function do the others still work??
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    One thing I've always wondered about all in one machines: if you lose one function do the others still work??
    I have a 3 in 1 machine, it's an inverter machine and has been solid, it welds great. 175 amp mig, fluxcore, stick & scratch start tig, I haven't used the tig function as yet because I don't have a torch, I see no need for what I do. The machine has 3 T& 4T, arc force and is somewhat synergic. Since it's an inverter I'm sure that if one function diesthat the others will be affected, at least to some degree.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

6. Likes madd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True. But if you only have a single machine and it dies then you are in the same boat. Many folk end up with multiple machine, they don't start with them.

That said, stick/tig is as deep as i go.

Those with multiprocess machines, how often do you switch process and why?

Post Thanks / Like

It would depend on the failure. If your wire drive konked out you could still stick weld but if the power supply failed it's likely all gone. And, of course, if you have to send it out for repairs there will be an empty space in your shop and life until it comes back.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    True. But if you only have a single machine and it dies then you are in the same boat. Many folk end up with multiple machine, they don't start with them.

That said, stick/tig is as deep as i go.

Those with multiprocess machines, how often do you switch process and why?
    I have a 210MP and an Idealarc at home. On the 210MP I switch processes fairly often. The changes are driven by what I need to weld and my particular setup. The Idealarc has long leads so if I'm outside on something heavier it gets used. Inside the 210MP gets used in MIG and stick depending on what needs gluing together. I have the TIG setup on the 210MP but more often than not things that many of you would TIG I'll use oxy/acet since I'm more familiar with it and in my setup it is quicker to get 'er done. If I had a dedicated TIG machine I might go there more often. Maybe one day I'll look at the Primeweld 225X.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the Capital letters. I have written half of the post looking at the keyboard then ... didn't want to do it again. Sorry. Louie 1. stainless steel up to 2mm, Aluminium up to 20mm, Normal steel in tools, machinery on the farm. 2. Budget is not an issue I can buy a 2G machine is just I don't want to buy a Rolls Royce to drive on the farm I don't need a commercial-grade monster for everyday welding like crazy, but equally, because I am in a remote place I don't want a toy which in a year time will abandon me when I need it most. Thank you Everybody for contributions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GREG528 View Post
    Aluminium up to 20mm,
    To do that ↑ , you do need a rolls royce, maybe even two! 20mm is over 3/4" thick aluminum, so you need at least 350-400 amps even with using pre-heat (depending on joint configuration) just to get the puddle going in less than 3 seconds or so. 2G's isn't even close to cutting it, IMO.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I have a 210MP and an Idealarc at home. On the 210MP I switch processes fairly often. The changes are driven by what I need to weld and my particular setup. The Idealarc has long leads so if I'm outside on something heavier it gets used. Inside the 210MP gets used in MIG and stick depending on what needs gluing together. I have the TIG setup on the 210MP but more often than not things that many of you would TIG I'll use oxy/acet since I'm more familiar with it and in my setup it is quicker to get 'er done. If I had a dedicated TIG machine I might go there more often. Maybe one day I'll look at the Primeweld 225X.

What determines use of Mig vs stick setup? Portability?

Post Thanks / Like

1. stainless steel up to 2mm, Aluminium up to 20mm, Normal steel in tools, machinery on the farm.
    In my opinion, you will not find a multiprocess machine that will be satisfactory on 20 mm aluminum (assuming that is not a typo). You will really need AC welding capability well above 200 amps for 20mm Aluminum, and most of the 3 in 1, 4 in 1, etc. machines seems to top out at 200 amps. IF that was a typo and you meant to say aluminum up to 2.0 mm, then I think you could still make a strong argument that the all in one machines are still not adequate, because many of them lack some or all of the features that optimize you for welding thin aluminum (pulse in a MIG machine or pulse, balance, AC frequency, etc. in a TIG machine). So I am not really sure how to respond on the aluminum side.

One thing for sure, do NOT buy a welder that incorporates a plasma cutter into the features. The have a very well deserved reputation of failing prematurely.

The aluminum welding aspect is the most difficult. To weld aluminum well, you really probably want a pulse MIG or a separate dedicated TIG machine with a lot of amps and all the features. Steel and stainless are a lot easier to solve for. How much aluminum welding do you anticipate?
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    What determines use of Mig vs stick setup? Portability?
    I've been stick and oxy/acet welding off and on for more than 50 years so those are my preferences. MIG is fairly new to me and I don't always trust it. So a number of factors come into consideration. How critical is the weld(more critical-more stick)? How thick is the material(heavy stuff is stick thinner stuff is either MIG or oxy/acet, perhaps eventually TIG)? Is the appropriate size of wire in the MIG machine(much of what I do are very short projects/repairs and I don't always want to take the time to change the wire)?What I deem is appropriate for the job at hand(Could be interpreted as "What mood I am in right now."
    All that said I should add to my signature "It depends ............" since it almost always does.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

You find a MULTIWELDER if one break you have a box.
    I like a Mig weld and then a Tig/stick . The Tig/stick is cc both uses the same technology the mig is cv.
    Few electronic will last longer on a welding machine. You could have very expensive box.

Dave

HELLO EVERYONE
    , I AM AN ENTHUSIAST AND I COME ACROSS A MULTIWELDER 5 IN ONE, 4 IN ONE. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A SENSE OF IT AND I MADE A RESEARCH. JUST SCRATCHED THE SURFACE. CAN I HAVE PROS OPINIONS ABOUT A GOOD ALL-AROUND WELDER IN FARMING APPLICATIONS SOMETHING THAT WOULD NOT BREAK A BANK BUT WILL BE RELIABLE. UNFORTUNATELY, REVIEW WEBSITES ARE WRITING BS DEPENDING ON WHO PAYS MORE AND THERE IS NO CONSENSUS EVEN WITHIN 3 OR 4 MACHINES. MACHINES I HAVE IN MIND IE: MILLER MULTIMATIC SERIES(GOOD BUT EXPENSIVE) YesWelder FIRSTESS™ MP200 5-in-1 Welder & Cutter( MID RANDE PRICE BUT PROTOTYPE SO NOT CONVINCING THAT IT WILL BE RELIABLE )... THERE ARE 5-6 MORE MACHINES LIKE THAT OTHER MANUFACTURERS BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HAT TO CHOOSE THANK YOU FOR YOUR OPINIONS.

Post Thanks / Like

Could easily weld 20mm Aluminum with stick. I've used 1/8 Excelloy 41DC+ with good results 130amps is more then enough.

I don't know that I would want to stick weld thin ga aluminum, but 20mm should be ok.

I would go for a Stick Buzzbox unless you need to be able to weld real thin ga stuff in general. I feel like they are just the most versatile, especially for any outdoor or maintenance type welding.
    Last edited by Roert42; 10-28-2021 at 10:11 AM.
    Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

Miller Econo Tig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roert42 View Post
    Could easily weld 20mm Aluminum with stick. I've used 1/8 Excelloy 41DC+ with good results 130amps is more then enough.

I don't know that I would want to stick weld thin ga aluminum, but 20mm should be ok.

I would go for a Stick Buzzbox unless you need to be able to weld real thin ga stuff in general. I feel like they are just the most versatile, especially for any outdoor or maintenance type welding.
    Thank you mate all the best

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my on-farm repairs have been done with stick as well, but I rarely have to weld aluminum so I generally farm that out to neighbors that do it all the time. What are you welding on farm equipment that's made out of 20 mm aluminum? I have never Tig'd and I use the Mig for mostly sheet metal work less than 1/8". I've also leaned towards separate machines as opposed to multi-process. I can pick and choose the machine I want to do the job I need to do.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

19. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Most of my on-farm repairs have been done with stick as well.

Same. Only had AC stick most of my farm life. Looking back, having a Mig machine would not have helped me for repairs.

I still have my buzz box 55 years later. Lol……

These days I like Mig for light fabricating or just tacking together assemblies and then finishing with stick mostly because I LIKE IT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

21. Likes Roert42, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mulitprocess machines can come with balls too.
    https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...-welder-m00430

Damn just saw the new price on my Dynasty 280 tigrunner. $11,242 Price has increased almost $3000 in past couple years.
    Last edited by danielplace; 10-29-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Multi welder machines

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Mulitprocess machines can come with balls too.
    https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...-welder-m00430

Damn just saw the new price on my Dynasty 280 tigrunner. $11,242 Price has increased almost $3000 in past couple years.
    The OP could look for a good used inverter.

I purchased this refurbished Miller multiprocess machine from WW member Steve (7A###?). It had "balls"LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 10-29-2021 at 01:48 PM.
    :

24. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Have you tried to compare stick vs flux core? I was just wondering about the benefits of stick vs flux core wire since my Hobart 210MVP doesn't have a stick option.

Post Thanks / Like

It is faster to train on flex core and faster welding.

Stick you can buy a hand full of rod for a special job.
    Flux core you buying by roll.
    In my shop I would buy 60 pound coils of coils more costly to change.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ambull01 View Post
    Have you tried to compare stick vs flux core? I was just wondering about the benefits of stick vs flux core wire since my Hobart 210MVP doesn't have a stick option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    It is faster to train on flex core and faster welding.

Stick you can buy a hand full of rod for a special job.
    Flux core you buying by roll.
    In my shop I would buy 60 pound coils of coils more costly to change.

Dave
    Ah okay. So they have about the same type of penetration? I went a little overboard with buying wire. Bought .023/.024, .030, and .035 solid mig wire. Also bought .030 and .035 self shield flux core wire. So I have 5 rolls of wire that will probably rust before I get a chance to use it. May have to store them in house or some where other than my humid garage.

Post Thanks / Like

You find all welding rod likes in home living or may go to rust.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ambull01 View Post
    Ah okay. So they have about the same type of penetration? I went a little overboard with buying wire. Bought .023/.024, .030, and .035 solid mig wire. Also bought .030 and .035 self shield flux core wire. So I have 5 rolls of wire that will probably rust before I get a chance to use it. May have to store them in house or some where other than my humid garage.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also lay a lot more filler with stick. 3/16 vs .045, although you need a bigger welder to run those fat rods all day.

Wire feed is nice if you are doing a lot of continuous welding, don't have to stop and change rods.
    Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

Miller Econo Tig

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a good stick/ tig machine then have a feeder unit that runs off it for your mig work, I think you would be set.
    I use a Miller 52S wire feeder running off my Shopmaster with a high freq box for tig. It has served me well for 38 years.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist