+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sharpening Tungsten

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharpening Tungsten

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I bought a Tech-south tungsten grinder... LOVE IT.

I get the same exact angle and point everytime.

It wasn't cheap, but to me it's no different than buying any other tool for the shop.

It works and it works well.

to each his/her own.

Attachment 1696212
    Now I feel so... .. inadequate? Slacker? Cheap? whatever the correct word.. cause for about 20 years I've been using this belt/disc sander I didn't even buy new at Harbor freight it was $5 at a garage sale and sometimes the power switch doesn't make contact requiring mutiple flips (been planning to replace it since I bought it BTW) and usually gotta give it a push start by turning the belt to get it goin ... been using 80 grip disc but... think I like those diamond grit ones listed above gonna order one to glue on there.... maybe a new switch while I'm at it?

Name:  IMG_20210227_074340368.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  137.8 KBName:  IMG_20210227_074356762.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  123.7 KB

ok I didn't take pics sideways...

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    Now I feel so... .. inadequate? Slacker? Cheap? whatever the correct word.. cause for about 20 years I've been using this belt/disc sander I didn't even buy new at Harbor freight it was $5 at a garage sale and sometimes the power switch doesn't make contact requiring mutiple flips (been planning to replace it since I bought it BTW) and usually gotta give it a push start by turning the belt to get it goin ... been using 80 grip disc but... think I like those diamond grit ones listed above gonna order one to glue on there.... maybe a new switch while I'm at it?

Well you are in good company. I use a belt sander as well. I use it to remove the blobs on the shank, sharpen the tip, change the angle at a glance. I also sharpen big drill bits, radius plates. grind bevels in parts, and flatten damaged edges. And no I don't use dedicated belts wheels, or bits for dressing tungstens. The tungstens really don't care.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Picture of my tungsten after sharpening it. I briefly hit it with 150 grit sandpaper after grinding with the diamond tile saw blade. I set the angle of the radial arm saw to be 17.5°. The manual for my welder calls for a 35° included angle. If I understand their drawing, that means each side would be 17.5°. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This was for AC TIG.

Name:  20210227_163423.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  65.3 KB
    Jim
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    2017 F-350 CCLB 6.7L
    2013 Polaris Ranger 900 XP in 2006 Fleetwood Gearbox 220FB using 3" Andersen WDH
    I don't always tow heavy, but when I do, I use my Superduty.
    Here fishy, fishy... ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ >< ((( °>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post

Im glad your method works for you.

Have a great night.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hrtkd View Post
    picture of my tungsten after sharpening it. I briefly hit it with 150 grit sandpaper after grinding with the diamond tile saw blade. I set the angle of the radial arm saw to be 17.5°. The manual for my welder calls for a 35° included angle. If i understand their drawing, that means each side would be 17.5°. Please correct me if i'm wrong. This was for ac tig.

fail !
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
    Picture of my tungsten after sharpening it. I briefly hit it with 150 grit sandpaper after grinding with the diamond tile saw blade. I set the angle of the radial arm saw to be 17.5°. The manual for my welder calls for a 35° included angle. If I understand their drawing, that means each side would be 17.5°. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This was for AC TIG.

I'd say your shape is near perfect. I'd be concerned about the all direction scratches. At low amperage, that tungsten is going to be erratic.

If it were to weld steel, it ought to be pointier.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

9. Likes HRTKD, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I'd say your shape is near perfect. I'd be concerned about the all direction scratches. At low amperage, that tungsten is going to be erratic.

If it were to weld steel, it ought to be pointier.
    Thanks for the positive feedback on the shape. I'm brand new to this so your feedback is very much appreciated. I couldn't see the detail until I looked at the photo. Lots of scratches. I need to hit it with a finer grit sandpaper next time. I'm welding aluminum using AC TIG.

Here's what it looked like before the sandpaper. Very rough. My diamond blade isn't as smooth as I thought.

Name:  20210227_163335.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  68.4 KB
    Jim
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    2017 F-350 CCLB 6.7L
    2013 Polaris Ranger 900 XP in 2006 Fleetwood Gearbox 220FB using 3" Andersen WDH

Post Thanks / Like

Works for me. Start welding! Too many people spend time micro polishing their tungsten on dedicated wheels and can't weld for nothin'. I would weld with that but I see the point is not seasoned for AC welding, meaning the rare earth alloys have not been burned out of the tip. Once seasoned for AC a nice shiny ball will form and the still alloyed shank will hold it. Which is why I have 2% thoriated tungsten sharpened both ends for DC and 2% lanthanated tungsten pointed only one end for AC.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I have 2% thoriated tungsten sharpened both ends for DC and 2% lanthanated tungsten pointed only one end for AC.
    I’m going to rip that trick from you.
    BTW I sharpened on a crummy grey stone for about 36 years, they weld fine.
    Ernie F.

14. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    I’m going to rip that trick from you.
    BTW I sharpened on a crummy grey stone for about 36 years, they weld fine.
    Exactly! The dedicated tungsten grinder thing has perplexed me for decades. We have been doing class A work with belt sander points that were used to grind all kinds of crappy things. All that matters is you get the pointy grind you want. Tried the chemsharp thing and threw it out. Worked and fumes stunk, and point was crap but it still welded fine.

16. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the positive feedback on the shape. I'm brand new to this so your feedback is very much appreciated. I couldn't see the detail until I looked at the photo. Lots of scratches. I need to hit it with a finer grit sandpaper next time. I'm welding aluminum using AC TIG.

Here's what it looked like before the sandpaper. Very rough. My diamond blade isn't as smooth as I thought.

I defer to Shovelon, he does the pretty welds.

Electrons flow in the entire shank of the tungsten from collet out, but the scratches can make it erratic. I believe there is a concentration of electron flow on the surface. Those who grind perpendicular to the shaft of the tungsten dig a series of ditches. Yours run near parallel to the shank, that is best. Polishing might help in some small way, but I wouldn't be able to tell.

Shovelon is right, the very point of it will melt smooth anyway. Sine wave machines used pure tungsten for a smooth hemisphere as 50/50 balance sends a lot of heat back to the tungsten.

I'd say there are a lot of machines to grind tungsten, I've never tried one of those pencil sharpener diamond wheel tools, but I picture them putting a lot of spiral grooves in the tip. They only grind the tip, so stuff stuck to the last inch doesn't get removed.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Electrons flow in the entire shank of the tungsten from collet out, but the scratches can make it erratic. I believe there is a concentration of electron flow on the surface.
    They do get emitted from the surface, however your first statement/sentence is correct. I actually calculated the skin depth for ya a few years ago on the Miller forum. Doesn't exist at TIG welder frequencies, and is non-existent in DC.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I defer to Shovelon, he does the pretty welds.

Electrons flow in the entire shank of the tungsten from collet out, but the scratches can make it erratic. I believe there is a concentration of electron flow on the surface. Those who grind perpendicular to the shaft of the tungsten dig a series of ditches. Yours run near parallel to the shank, that is best. Polishing might help in some small way, but I wouldn't be able to tell.

Shovelon is right, the very point of it will melt smooth anyway. Sine wave machines used pure tungsten for a smooth hemisphere as 50/50 balance sends a lot of heat back to the tungsten.

I'd say there are a lot of machines to grind tungsten, I've never tried one of those pencil sharpener diamond wheel tools, but I picture them putting a lot of spiral grooves in the tip. They only grind the tip, so stuff stuck to the last inch doesn't get removed.
    Yesterday was the first day that I've welded outside a class. I'll be addressing the tungsten (2% Lanthanated), to ensure that I'm eliminating possible problems that aren't between the torch and the pedal.
    Jim
    PrimeWeld TIG225X
    2017 F-350 CCLB 6.7L

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    They do get emitted from the surface, however your first statement/sentence is correct. I actually calculated the skin depth for ya a few years ago on the Miller forum. Doesn't exist at TIG welder frequencies, and is non-existent in DC.
    Skin effect or none, grind affects the arc, especially at low current concentration. An arc perfect & tight with 1/16 tungsten will wander with 1/8" tungsten. Same is true of a nice clean point, vs a jagged grind. I believe as current increases the smoothness of grind is less important.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Exactly! The dedicated tungsten grinder thing has perplexed me for decades. We have been doing class A work with belt sander points that were used to grind all kinds of crappy things. All that matters is you get the pointy grind you want. Tried the chemsharp thing and threw it out. Worked and fumes stunk, and point was crap but it still welded fine.
    Not sure what so perplexing about a tungsten grinder.
    It’s a tool to be used like anything else
    I find it pretty convenient

It’s hanging right at my welding bench
    If I screw up all I need to do is reach up and grab it and do a quick re-point.
    The angle is preset
    Are you do is give it a quick spin and you’re done

Literally two seconds.

For me it’s just all about convenience.

I’ve used belt grinders also they work just fine

I just find it funny that whenever you mention a tungsten grinder
    People come out of the woodwork and get all irritated.

To each his own.
    There’s 32 ways to skin a cat.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, to each his own.

Aluminum oxide for fast grind, silicon carbide for smoother finish, then light buffing. It's faster than you think.

1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I wanna say again, that all this focus on the electrode (tungsten) for a beginner, is a waste of time Neither the Angle, the Type, nor the diameter is going to have such an effect on someone who's "just back from their first welding class". You have So Many other things to get experience doing before you could possibly notice the difference!

That being said, this is the worst sharpening I've ever seen, ya might as well have used dykes (not that it matters at All at this point)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    I wanna say again, that all this focus on the electrode (tungsten) for a beginner, is a waste of time Neither the Angle, the Type, nor the diameter is going to have such an effect on someone who's "just back from their first welding class". You have So Many other things to get experience doing before you could possibly notice the difference!

That being said, this is the worst sharpening I've ever seen, ya might as well have used dykes (not that it matters at All at this point)

Gee, the man is using it for aluminum, not stainless!

I bet mine look that jagged magnified that far. Maybe yours.

A DC electrode wants more nearly a needle point. I've never tried Oscar's needle, it must work, or he wouldn't do it.(of course, I don't think he poops often enough).

25. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet mine look that jagged magnified that far. Maybe yours.
    Only if we were using like 60grit...

No,,, I weld mostly Aluminum, and mine look much closer to Oscars above ^ only without the sharp point (which they do have before I "blunt" them). As I said above, I've used a HF grinder and a 180grit diamond wheel for a dz years or so (that 9.99 grinder, which I've mounted in a box with a rocker sw, never has much of a Load put on it and never runs that long, so I'm sure it's got another dz years left in it!).

And again, yea, he's learning and it's on Alum, not going to make a difference...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist