+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welder flash burn after a long time not welding

Post Thanks / Like

Welder flash burn after a long time not welding

I used to work as an industrial fabrication welder 20 years ago for several years. I left welding for college and did a career switch. I remember the eye flash burns very well. I've been buying tools for my hobby shop recently I bought a new welder for hobby welding. I have done a few small welding jobs 4-5 time now and what I notice is that I have that feeling of flash burn in my eyes every time. It is not bad but enough for my eyes to be irritated for a full day/night. I have an auto-darkening helmet and have it set to the highest shade which I believe is 13

My question: Should I except the feeling of flash burn after a long time of not welding? What can I do to prevent it?
    Last edited by gpeters; 12-23-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder flash burn after a long time not welding

Quote Originally Posted by gpeters View Post
    I have an auto-darkening helmet and have it set to highist shade which I believe is 13
    what kinda lid?
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you mean by lid?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you mean by lid?
    ok

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Does your hood have a sensitivity setting? Mine is a 1/25000 that you can set to delay the auto darkening reset after the arc is done.

Maybe the battery needs to be changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    what kinda lid?
    He means, who is the manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like

Wear a pair of clear glasses under your hood . Clear glass reflects a lot of ultraviolet light in and of itself. My high school vocational welding teacher taught me that when I was 16 years old. I have followed that advise my whole adult life and it has done me well over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Wear a pair of clear glasses under your hood . Clear glass reflects a lot of ultraviolet light in and of itself. My high school vocational welding teacher taught me that when I was 16 years old. I have followed that advise my whole adult life and it has done me well over the years.
    if the hood is working then there should be no UV getting in.
    also clear glass doesn't reflect a lot of UV unless its coated. you might as well just be wearing sunglasses.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to work as an industrial fabrication welder 20 years ago for several years. I left welding for college and did a career switch. I remember the eye flash burns very well. I've been buying tools for my hobby shop recently I bought a new welder for hobby welding. I have done a few small welding jobs 4-5 time now and what I notice is that I have that feeling of flash burn in my eyes every time. It is not bad but enough for my eyes to be irritated for a full day/night. I have an auto-darkening helmet and have it set to the highest shade which I believe is 13

My question: Should I except the feeling of flash burn after a long time of not welding? What can I do to prevent it?
    it could be eye strain. hows your eye sight? you may need cheater lens.

the other thing is light is reflecting off your clothes etc and getting around the edge of the helmet. makes sure it fits well and comes down far enough.
    also check whats behind you. especially in small spaces where it can reflect off things behind you.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am using someone else's auto-dark helmet, I always step into bright sunlight and wave my hand in front of the sensors to make sure it is really working. You should definitely not feel like you've gotten flash burns if the helmet is working properly.
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Millermatic 252/ 30A spoolgun
    Miller Bobcat 225g w/ 3545 spoolgun
    Lincoln PowerArc4000
    Lincoln 175 Mig
    Lincoln 135 Mig
    Everlast 250EX Tig
    Century ac/dc 230 amp stick
    Victor O/A
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    also clear glass doesn't reflect a lot of UV unless its coated. you might as well just be wearing sunglasses.
    There is alway a lag even if a millisecond. To each thier own. I have welded all my adult life I am now 64 and this advice has served me well. You do what you want. He asked I answered .
    Last edited by thegary; 12-23-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is alway a lag even if a millisecond. To each thier own. I have welded all my adult life I am now 64 and this advice has served me well. You do what you want. He asked I answered .
    well now you know better. thats the trouble with incorrect advice, it can take 48 years before they are told different. thats why forums are great. there is usually someone who will query if the advice is correct or not.

i'm also a glasses wearer and i can say it doesn't stop arc eye one little bit. by mem there is UV coatings you can put on (downunder is really bad for UV and skin cancer).
    its far better to get hood etc fitting properly than to rely on glasses.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting concept. According to © 2018 The Skin Cancer Foundation, glass allows most of UVA through, where as UVB is partially blocked by glass. Therefore, regular ordinary plain glass is useless against UVA, the range that penetrates deepest into the skin.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

well now you know better. thats the trouble with incorrect advice, it can take 48 years before they are told different. thats why forums are great. there is usually someone who will query if the advice is correct or not.

i'm also a glasses wearer and i can say it doesn't stop arc eye one little bit. by mem there is UV coatings you can put on (downunder is really bad for UV and skin cancer).
    its far better to get hood etc fitting properly than to rely on glasses.
    Im glade your hear to finally clear up all this stuff for us. I will go with what has proven itself to me many times over . You can straighten everyone else out here on WW though. It does not stop UV or other light , it does reflect some , there is a difference.
    Last edited by thegary; 12-23-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Im glade your hear to finally clear up all this stuff for us. I will go with what has proven itself to me many times over . You can straighten everyone else out here on WW though. It does not stop UV or other light , it does reflect some , there is a difference.
    it reflects so little its insignificant.
    plus you probably get the same amount reflected off the back of the glasses into your eyes.

problem is you havn't proven anything. just because nothing bad has happened doesn't mean it works as people don't get arc eye from not wearing glasses.
    this of course is how all myths start.

Post Thanks / Like

WRONG. there is a very small % of bleedthrough uv on any lenses. clear lenses do help. i've seen the the guaranteed % chart of different shade lenses, that reguardless of manufactureder, if its got the ansi stamp on it. i've been to half dozen eye doctors/conversations w/ scientists, i had eye issues in early aughts due to trying out a auto darkening lens. the % of bleedthrough was either in the tens or hundred thousands of a %. i was also given the % of a clear lens that blocked uv (very minimal though). long story short, i got my situation tuned in, i use eye drops daily rest my life w/o presevatives in it. im dutch, blue eyes, my skin is 3 shades away from being an albino, and i burn like a lobster in the calif sun. i wasnt supposed to be a welder i think

as for the poet, i dont think ur getting arc flash the way ur talkin. i believe u got something going on, but its not what u think. i reccomend throwing away your auto darkening, and using convetional type/old lenses. i use a shade 11 w/ tinted safety glasses on average

if i were on a sinking ship, that needed a weld to save us all, and i was handed a auto darkening lens to do it w/, id probabaly/might refuse
    Last edited by 123weld; 12-24-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    WRONG. there is a very small % of bleedthrough uv on any lenses. clear lenses do help. i've seen the the guaranteed % chart of different shade lenses, that reguardless of manufactureder, if its got the ansi stamp on it. i've been to half dozen eye doctors/conversations w/ scientists, i had eye issues in early aughts due to trying out a auto darkening lens. the % of bleedthrough was either in the tens or hundred thousands of a %. i was also given the % of a clear lens that blocked uv (very minimal though). long story short, i got my situation tuned in, i use eye drops daily rest my life w/o presevatives in it. im dutch, blue eyes, my skin is 3 shades away from being an albino, and i burn like a lobster in the calif sun. i wasnt supposed to be a welder i think
    i wouldn't say wrong. as you say its a very small %. nothing that normally effects anyone. you probably get more reflecting and coming in through the back of the helmet than you will get coming through the lens.
    and yes you can get clear lens that block UV. but you have to get that specially. afaik its not standard (tho it could have changed) with any glass lens. normal glass will block a small insignificant % (it even blocks light a small %). even if its 1%, its blocking 1% of 0.1% which is SFA.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum mr Peters

Post Thanks / Like

Autodarks block the UV and the IR wavelengths even if they are off. The switching only covers the visible spectrum, which can still make you see spots if you use it when it is not switched on, but you are still fully protected from UV and IR. Wearing safety glasses beneath your hood is the best idea you can have for eye protection (the hood gets flipped up a lot), but it doesn't materially affect UV or IR transmission to your eye when the hood is down.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    Autodarks block the UV and the IR wavelengths even if they are off. The switching only covers the visible spectrum, which can still make you see spots if you use it when it is not switched on, but you are still fully protected from UV and IR. Wearing safety glasses beneath your hood is the best idea you can have for eye protection (the hood gets flipped up a lot), but it doesn't materially affect UV or IR transmission to your eye when the hood is down.
    your full of it. "your fully protected from uv and ir". your full of it, that "safety glasses beneath your hood doesnt materially effect uv or ir transmission when your hood is down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    Autodarks (helmets) block the UV and the IR wavelengths even if they are off. The switching only covers the visible spectrum, which can still make you see spots if you use it when it is not switched on, but you are still fully protected from UV and IR.
    correct.
    ave did a video where he tested that.

Post Thanks / Like

your flip flopping on us now tweake. first its " if hood is working no uv should be getting in" in post #8. then you agree w/ me in post #17 that a small percentage gets in. your video of the foul mouthed individual who cant conduct himself don't mean squat too me. i hang up the phone on people like that. means nothing, like your flip flop self. i'm starting to see how earned your name tweake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    your flip flopping on us now tweake. first its " if hood is working no uv should be getting in" in post #8. then you agree w/ me in post #17 that a small percentage gets in. your video of the foul mouthed individual who cant conduct himself don't mean squat too me. i hang up the phone on people like that. means nothing, like your flip flop self. i'm starting to see how earned your name tweake
    when they say 100% its often 99.9999%, hence a little bit gets through. as i mentioned before its insignificant.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered that the feeling you attribute to flash burn may result from some other cause? Weld fumes, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my answers the questions
    1- The manufacture is Pro Point (I supect this would be a Chinese nock off) https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...et/A-p8510851e
    2- I have my chade set to 13, Sensitivity to Hi, and Delay to Min
    3- My eye sight is 20/20 without glasses
    4- Two of the weldings were done outside so not sure it would be from another cause like weld fumes

It always fun to read and be part of forum where passions flare. Its Christmas so lets all be nice to each other

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist