+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting rid of the initial surge/spike/waste of shielding gas. $20 mod. Eazy Peazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting rid of the initial surge/spike/waste of shielding gas. $20 mod. Eazy Pea

Just for grins i installed an orifice fitting on the back of my machine. i had to drill it out to #74 wire size to achieve 25cfh from my 50 psi HTP ball type flow meter. Flow should be consistent across a range of pressures because flow "sticks" as soon as it becomes supersonic through an orifice, regardless of pressure. The argon delivery does seem smoother, no rush at the startup. Will do some welding and see if there's any noticeable difference in welding performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting rid of the initial surge/spike/waste of shielding gas. $20 mod. Eazy Pea

Quote Originally Posted by bakodiver View Post
    Just for grins i installed an orifice fitting on the back of my machine. i had to drill it out to #74 wire size to achieve 25cfh from my 50 psi HTP ball type flow meter. Flow should be consistent across a range of pressures because flow "sticks" as soon as it becomes supersonic through an orifice, regardless of pressure. The argon delivery does seem smoother, no rush at the startup. Will do some welding and see if there's any noticeable difference in welding performance.
    How does the float behave when the solenoid opens up? Does it still overshoot the steady-state flowrate you have dialed in, or does it slowly rise to it?
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-26-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

The ball slowly rises to the flow rate. I did a little aluminum welding and the argon delivery is stable from start to finish, so that's a win. Although i didn't use your idea, Oscar, it got me thinking, and ultimately lead to a win.

4. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakodiver View Post
    The ball slowly rises to the flow rate. I did a little aluminum welding and the argon delivery is stable from start to finish, so that's a win. Although i didn't use your idea, Oscar, it got me thinking, and ultimately lead to a win.
    Glad I could help.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna try an in-line flow regulator and see how it does.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bplayer405 View Post
    I'm gonna try an in-line flow regulator and see how it does.

Something like that would be similar to what bakodiver did with the orifice. You'd have to place it very close to the machine as it's just a valve and would eventually let pressure build up in the hose between it and the machine, given enough time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Something like that would be similar to what bakodiver did with the orifice. You'd have to place it very close to the machine as it's just a valve and would eventually let pressure build up in the hose between it and the machine, given enough time.
    Yep, hose on bottom is a foot away from the welder.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist