+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: online fastener sources

Post Thanks / Like

online fastener sources

I'm tired of paying $7/lb at local places for regular Grade 5 bolts/nuts/washers. So I started looking online and I really like the pricing at https://www.wholesalebolts.com.

Anyone found any cheaper online source?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

2. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: online fastener sources

I have not tried your source but have used this one:
    https://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I have not tried your source but have used this one:
    https://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx
    Boltdepot is more expensive. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually go through a local outfit called " Packer fasteners", since they are generally the cheapest. I have bought some assortment sets of Allen head, metric and grade 5 from " River City fasteners", thru the eBay store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Boltdepot is more expensive. Thanks.
    That's good to know. I will try your source in the future

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

7. Likes Beefman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

try albanycountyfasteners.com.
    i remember buying some stuff from them a while back at what seemed to be unbeatable prices at the time. but don't quote me though!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not even close to cheap, but when I need something exotic, precise or exact and traceable McMaster. Sometimes Fastenal. Ace hardware in my area usually has the basics. I hate buying offshore fasteners.

Seven dollars per pound doesn't sound unreasonable. I live out west here in California, so everything is expensive...
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller XMT 304

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I usually go through a local outfit called " Packer fasteners", since they are generally the cheapest. I have bought some assortment sets of Allen head, metric and grade 5 from " River City fasteners", thru the eBay store.
    Thanks but local outfits to you don't help me . Those assortment sets are nice, but I'm looking more for pick-your-own-stuff-exactly-how-you-like-it kinda thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    try albanycountyfasteners.com.
    i remember buying some stuff from them a while back at what seemed to be unbeatable prices at the time. but don't quote me though!
    Thanks for that link, I just checked an identical order, and wholesalebolts.com is still cheaper.

12. Likes filetobeef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crab fisherman View Post
    Maybe not even close to cheap, but when I need something exotic, precise or exact and traceable McMaster. Sometimes Fastenal. Ace hardware in my area usually has the basics. I hate buying offshore fasteners.

Seven dollars per pound doesn't sound unreasonable. I live out west here in California, so everything is expensive...
    Yup, I know all about McMasterCarr, as do most people here, at least here in the US. Great for exotic stuff, not so much for regular stuff. When you start to look for ~½" bolts, the pounds add up quickly.
    Last edited by Oscar; 08-02-2020 at 01:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm tired of paying $7/lb at local places for regular Grade 5 bolts/nuts/washers. So I started looking online and I really like the pricing at https://www.wholesalebolts.com.

Are you talking about Tractor Supply?

Post Thanks / Like

Those are great prices! Thanks for sharing.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Oscar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by In Utopia View Post
    Are you talking about Tractor Supply?
    I actually hadn't thought about Tractor Supply. I don't go there often because they're further away from me than HD/Lowe's/other hardware stores. I cant seem to find their pricing for their bulk stuff online.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks but local outfits to you don't help me . Those assortment sets are nice, but I'm looking more for pick-your-own-stuff-exactly-how-you-like-it kinda thing.
    I'm well aware of that but oftentimes there is a local option. River City does sell individual lots of fasteners, I just never bought anything other than assortments thru them. For oddball stuff McMaster Carr is probably the easiest place to find those items. Many people also use TSC for fasteners as they sell by the pound.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.... I'll have to check out the links next time I need a few dozen boxes of bolts and stuff

I didn't realize TSC even sold fasteners??? I know I've seen lots of other good stuff for fabbing machinery up but don't remember seeing bolts... hmmmm have to look a little closer next time I'm in there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Interesting.... I'll have to check out the links next time I need a few dozen boxes of bolts and stuff

I didn't realize TSC even sold fasteners??? I know I've seen lots of other good stuff for fabbing machinery up but don't remember seeing bolts... hmmmm have to look a little closer next time I'm in there
    They have grade 2, 5 and 8 as well as a fair amount of the evil metric stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

That's weird.... i wonder where they hide it in the local store??? I've only been in there about 5 times since they opened last year so probably just overlooked the aisle with nut n bolts we have several hi strength, tacoma screw,grainger, fastenal, etc... within 30 minutes of our normal work area so depending on what I need i go to one of those... I'll get bolts at HD/lowes/ace as a last resort as they have the cheapest junk there is we also have a mclendons hardware that has a great selection of good names like brighton best/etc... here too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    That's weird.... i wonder where they hide it in the local store??? I've only been in there about 5 times since they opened last year so probably just overlooked the aisle with nut n bolts we have several hi strength, tacoma screw,grainger, fastenal, etc... within 30 minutes of our normal work area so depending on what I need i go to one of those... I'll get bolts at HD/lowes/ace as a last resort as they have the cheapest junk there is we also have a mclendons hardware that has a great selection of good names like brighton best/etc... here too.
    They have a hardware section, usually near the tools and welding section. I don't go to one often as it's probably 45 miles from home. There is another store much closer that sells by the pound as well. For me the local fastener supplier is cheaper but not an option for the need it now kind of thing. I usually just write down fasteners I'm getting low on and when at the store or if I see the suppliers salesman, I get what's on the list. Having the bins,( thanks BD1) has made the process of having the items available and readily accessable makes it easy. The more specialty fasteners like socket head and flat heads can be more of a challenge to find economically can be more of a challenge . Fastenal has and will always be a last resort for me as they continue to be less and less customer oriented as time goes on.

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fastenal has and will always be a last resort for me as they continue to be less and less customer oriented as time goes on.
    Most of you guys could qualify for a commercial account (not me), but as of a couple of months ago the local Fastenal near me will no longer sell to walk-in customers...you have to have a commercial account. I don't know if that's a local policy or nationwide. Bummer. I liked going in there for hard to find stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Most of you guys could qualify for a commercial account (not me), but as of a couple of months ago the local Fastenal near me will no longer sell to walk-in customers...you have to have a commercial account. I don't know if that's a local policy or nationwide. Bummer. I liked going in there for hard to find stuff.
    I believe it's a corporate policy.

Post Thanks / Like

The company I work for has an account with Fastenal so when I need something for myself I just use the company name and pay cash!
    Same thing at the air conditioning supply house since Texas passed a protectionist law not allowing sales to anyone other than liscened contractors!

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oscar

Not necessarily cheap - but unique . . .

https://winkshardware.com/
    http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    I do not have an account at Fastenal but go there a decent number of times a year. For what its worth, about two weeks ago I needed four decent sized metric bolts. The local Fastenal had them in stock but the guy at the counter would not sell just four. I needed to buy the whole bag of 20 for $25. The lady next to him is someone I deal with pretty regularly. She reaches over and typed in a few things and brought the price for the bag down to $12.50.
    Last edited by psacustomcreations; 08-02-2020 at 03:35 PM.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

30. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah even here in Canada same thing.

Up until the last few weeks they had their doors locked, you had to call in and order, they'd drop it outside the back door youd take it and now. My local branch now at least lets you in as they've designated inside front door as a "pickup area" and not a "store" to get by the red tape. But no cash sales/credit. Only for accounts.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist