Thread: Lets talk Flap Disks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk Flap Disks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Must be like those 'misquote' anomalies I see other guys getting...

Post Thanks / Like

Or Sid's been messing with my computers again

5. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Multiple personality disorder...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Multiple personality disorder...
    You know.... it does kinda look like me.... not quite as handsome... but still similar....

9. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used a variety of flapper discs. I recently bought the Eastwood Contour SCT tool. It's similar style to the $800.00 Metebo but $200.00 instead. It now has a 3 year warranty too. A nice assortment of drums OR wheels. They recently add a 4" wire wheel.
    Here's a before and after picture. The plate will be for holding the tool and accessories.
    What's nice is the pattern is straight instead of swirls. This will be handy for my artwork. It also has 1" wide wheels for it. That will be perfect for my horseshoe artwork.
    The picture is using the 80 grit drum. I'm happy with it for the $180.00 on sale.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-contour-sct.html

Name:  0C3C06CE-F0B4-436E-BC9B-0E92F7FB4D12.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  100.6 KB
    Name:  3AEB3999-3D87-424D-81E2-6E0DA475BE96.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  120.5 KB

11. Likes N2 Welding, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bob I bet that tool is a handfull with a wire wheel.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

13. Likes William McCormick, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Hey Bob I bet that tool is a handfull with a wire wheel.
    They just came out with a 4" wire wheel for it $50.00
    It gotta be pretty awesome I would think. This has the "soft start" feature and is variable speed.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-co...wire-drum.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Out of curiosity, how is that plate attached? and what is the thickness?
    It is made of 1/2" plate and has a gusset in the middle about the size of one of the sides. It is bolted with 3/4" grade 8 bolts and matching very thick fender washers to the frame. It is also bolted to the cross-member as well. It was welded open root and the corners filled in completely. We did some testing on it and it is very strong.

There is another one just like this one that has been in use for years that we basically duplicated, but added the central stiffener.

Name:  open root.jpg
Size:  232.1 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

17. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I've used a variety of flapper discs. I recently bought the Eastwood Contour SCT tool. It's similar style to the $800.00 Metebo but $200.00 instead. It now has a 3 year warranty too. A nice assortment of drums OR wheels. They recently add a 4" wire wheel.
    Here's a before and after picture. The plate will be for holding the tool and accessories.
    What's nice is the pattern is straight instead of swirls. This will be handy for my artwork. It also has 1" wide wheels for it. That will be perfect for my horseshoe artwork.
    The picture is using the 80 grit drum. I'm happy with it for the $180.00 on sale.

I sometimes use a planner type automotive sander to give the metal a nice finish. I just keep it aiming in one direction.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They’re awesome, been used forever in collision repair. I think Spitznagel was the original, then Dynabrade.

The wire wheel is great for removing seam sealer on joints, never tried it on welds or steel, don’t think it would do a good job and probably wreck the wheel. The tines, or whatever the individual wires are called, are spaced really far apart, not at all like a wire brush grinder wheel. The non-woven, or Scotch-Brite drums are great for stainless work, and the gear type stripe eraser is irreplaceable for pinstripe and double-sided tape removal.

Does the drum on the Eastwood copy have a Schrader valve to adjust the pressure in the drum?
    Last edited by Mike_L; 02-02-2021 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Spelling, as usual.

Post Thanks / Like

''Does the drum on the Eastwood copy have a Schrader valve to adjust the pressure in the drum?''

No Schrader valve. These are fixed individual drums avaiable in various grits and styles. It was inexpensive on sale $180.00 and has 3 year warranty.

https://www.eastwood.com/catalogsear...brasive%20drum

Post Thanks / Like

Lets talk Flap Disks

So yesterday Air Liquide sends out a flyer featuring the Walter burnishing tool.....

$842usd for the KIT

I phoned my store and not only do they know anything about it (no surprise ) but their computer shows none in inventory in Canada !!

Last edited by Lis2323; 02-02-2021 at 09:32 AM.
    :

23. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

''Does the drum on the Eastwood copy have a Schrader valve to adjust the pressure in the drum?''

No Schrader valve. These are fixed individual drums avaiable in various grits and styles. It was inexpensive on sale $180.00 and has 3 year warranty.

https://www.eastwood.com/catalogsear...brasive%20drum
    That’s honestly a very good value once you consider the warranty. And looking at the drums available on Eastwood they have some interesting wire brushes available, not at all like the pneumatic ones, more like standard rotary wire brushes, looks like they even have a brass one available.

Another thing to note is that there are a multitude of cheaper versions available on eBay and elsewhere for less than $60, appear to use the same style drums which might interchange with the Eastwood version and are reasonably priced.

I’ve looked everywhere but can’t find the version I wanted to share. When I was looking for an electric version to replace pneumatic version and one of the major manufacturers had both electric and pneumatic versions and that used the same drum, I thought it was Dynabrade but can’t find anything electric on their website, pneumatic only. I don’t think Hutchins makes a version, so I’m not sure who it was.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Metabo version of the burnisher that BD1 posted. It is a good tool and very high quality. In hindsight, I might have purchased the Eastwood like Bob instead just because I do not use it all the time.

I have used the cheaper import drums, and accessories and have not noticed much of a difference in quality. There is quite a bit of difference in price.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

26. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I In hindsight, I might have purchased the Eastwood like Bob instead just because I do not use it all the time.

But you do use it quite a bit on your art projects, right ?

:

28. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    But you do use it quite a bit on your art projects, right ?

I actually tried to recommend Metabo for you earlier, but the reply didn’t post, something about a token, but the text box was still open when I came back to check on the thread, never had that happen before. Here is the reply as I tried to post it earlier.

So yesterday Air Liquide sends out a flyer featuring the Walter burnishing tool.....

$842usd for the KIT

I phoned my store and not only do they know anything about it (no surprise ) but their computer shows none in inventory in Canada !!

I love Walter stuff, but that seems really high, even for Walter. The Metabo version is available for about half that price, and Grainger is a distributor for Metabo so you might be able to get one from Grainger Canada. The quality would be equal to
    Walter in my opinion, and perhaps more readily available in Canada.

And the Metabo drums look like they’ll interchange with the cheaper import versions, but from what I can see it looks like the Walter has a 5/8-11 nut for attachment. Not saying definitively it does, but it sure appears that way. With consumables and materials being harder to obtain there it would be worth verifying in my opinion.

Grainger Canada carries Metabo, and Fastenal carries Walter, but I don’t know if you guys have Fastenal up there.

Adding: I just now saw that it you explained the price pictured was Canadian. Given that, the Walter isn’t that much higher than the Metabo, I’ve seen the kits like the Walter you posted selling for around $650 US. I may be off here, but I think Metabo and Walter have some sort of agreement or are connected in some way, when I was shopping for a new grinder the Walters came up as having the same proprietary and patented Quick Nut as the Metabo, and I think I read they had some sort of agreement or were attached to the same parent company. Like I said, I may be way off as my memory isn’t that great, but I’m pretty sure there was something there.

BTW: If you haven’t had a chance to try the Metabo’s Quick Nut you’re missing out. Swapping out Slicer blades can be done with a gloved hand in seconds, no tools needed. Fantastic piece of hardware.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 02-02-2021 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Added info

Post Thanks / Like

As for accessories, I did buy a few with the tool on sale. Amazon has the Eastwood tool and accessories. Their prices are $5.00 to $15.00 more than buying direct from Eastwood.
    Here's my finished tool and accessories holder. I used 1/8" pipe for Allen wrenches and 5/16" round for arms with a 3/8 ball bearings for ends.
    Name:  687F24C8-27CC-4F01-89F1-1E4B9C68359D.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  69.2 KB

31. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets talk Flap Disks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
    I actually tried to recommend Metabo for you earlier, but the reply didn’t post, something about a token, but the text box was still open when I came back to check on the thread, never had that happen before. Here is the reply as I tried to post it earlier.

I love Walter stuff, but that seems really high, even for Walter. The Metabo version is available for about half that price, and Grainger is a distributor for Metabo so you might be able to get one from Grainger Canada. The quality would be equal to
    Walter in my opinion, and perhaps more readily available in Canada.

And the Metabo drums look like they’ll interchange with the cheaper import versions, but from what I can see it looks like the Walter has a 5/8-11 nut for attachment. Not saying definitively it does, but it sure appears that way. With consumables and materials being harder to obtain there it would be worth verifying in my opinion.

Grainger Canada carries Metabo, and Fastenal carries Walter, but I don’t know if you guys have Fastenal up there.

Adding: I just now saw that it you explained the price pictured was Canadian. Given that, the Walter isn’t that much higher than the Metabo, I’ve seen the kits like the Walter you posted selling for around $650 US. I may be off here, but I think Metabo and Walter have some sort of agreement or are connected in some way, when I was shopping for a new grinder the Walters came up as having the same proprietary and patented Quick Nut as the Metabo, and I think I read they had some sort of agreement or were attached to the same parent company. Like I said, I may be way off as my memory isn’t that great, but I’m pretty sure there was something there.

BTW: If you haven’t had a chance to try the Metabo’s Quick Nut you’re missing out. Swapping out Slicer blades can be done with a gloved hand in seconds, no tools needed. Fantastic piece of hardware.
    I have a Walter grinder for thin cut off wheels that I'm pretty certain was made by Metabo. I like the slip clutch and quick change nut for this application.

If the nut ever gets too tight on you, you just simply push the lock button after turning the grinder off but while it is still spinning. The lock does not engage the gears so it does not hurt anything. That is actually the way Metabo intended it to be used.

Oh and we have Fastenall here in Canada. I don't shop at my local store because they carry very little inventory and cater to big accounts.
    Last edited by Lis2323; 02-03-2021 at 12:18 AM.
    :

33. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets talk Flap Disks

As for accessories, I did buy a few with the tool on sale. Amazon has the Eastwood tool and accessories. Their prices are $5.00 to $15.00 more than buying direct from Eastwood.
    Here's my finished tool and accessories holder. I used 1/8" pipe for Allen wrenches and 5/16" round for arms with a 3/8 ball bearings for ends.
    Name:  687F24C8-27CC-4F01-89F1-1E4B9C68359D.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  69.2 KB
    Great looking holder, Bob !

:

35. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

........If the nut ever gets too tight on you, you just simply push the lock button after turning the grinder off but while it is still spinning. The lock does not engage the gears so it does not hurt anything. That is actually the way Metabo intended it to be used.
    LOL! Let me tell you a story and you’ll know why I’m laughing. Years ago working a shutdown beside another crew I saw something that surprised the heck out of me. Those guys all had Metabo grinders, which were new to me, and what surprised me was that when it came time to change out a grinding wheel they’d push the shaft lock button while the grinder was still spinning! The used up wheel would promptly unscrew itself from the grinder, and they’d have a new wheel on before the old one quit rolling across the ground. I thought man, this is going to hilarious when those things let go and the parts fly. So all that week I was expecting parts to fly any minute, but it never happened. I was sold. I thought any grinder that will take that kind of abuse has to be a very well made tool. When the job was over I went out and bought my first Metabo, still have that very same grinder today, very worn, battle scarred, and certainly no longer new, but still works.

All this time I thought those things were bulletproof but it was a case of me not understanding how they were engineered or designed to be used LOL! Thanks for the education, learned something new.

P.S. None of my Metabos have ever had the shaft lock pressed while the shaft was still rolling.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have my first Metabo grinder from 1980 and it's still going. Since then I added a few more. My latest is a variable speed compact die grinder. Variable speed is a plus with wire wheels. Slower speeds help keep wires on wheel and save from picking them out of clothes or skin.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have my first Metabo grinder from 1980 and it's still going. Since then I added a few more. My latest is a variable speed compact die grinder. Variable speed is a plus with wire wheels. Slower speeds help keep wires on wheel and save from picking them out of clothes or skin.

A cure for the dreaded hairy belly.

Mine have been great tools, my first one has been in service for at least 12 years, probably closer to 15 now that I think about it. The only issue I’ve had with it is the little lock tab on the front of the trigger that slips in the recess in the chassis, it’s prone to wear and has needed to be replaced. It will continue to function normally but won’t lock on.

I haven’t seen a decline in quality with my later Metabo stuff like some of the other big tool brands either. If they’ve cheapened stuff up it’s in a area I’ve not been able to notice.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 02-03-2021 at 01:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I went to school with a kid whose last name was Bater

The shop teacher used to call him Master Bater

Today that would probably not be PC
    What do your wife go by? Maybe Sharon peters??

40. Likes William McCormick, ronsii, Mikel_24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, for grinders I have been a blue Bosch fan until now... but next one may very well be a Metabo. Thanks for the tip about the quick nut!

Mikel

42. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist