+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln vertical bullet welder

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln vertical bullet welder

Quote Originally Posted by SOHC View Post
    I remember seeing these in shops as a whipper snapper. All the welders wanted to use them cause they had a really smooth arc.

Post Thanks / Like

They probably wanted to use them compared to. AC. Willie,, using one won't make you more handsome. You have 280 Dyn, that about as good as it gets.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done it. A friend is an electrician & self taught machinist. He uses a rope around the shaft to start a three phase motor on single phase. This is pretty lame power source. He then switches other motors on using the first as power supply. A bare minimum of three three phase motors must be run idling to supply a third phase & ultimately supply the lathe, or mill you hope to supply. He estimated the motor doing the work to produce 1/2 the torque & horsepower it should.

It causes several problems in the loaded motor, is not a perfect system.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    I’ve seen motors that can be wired for 460/230 three phase
    or 230 single phase. Not sure if stator has anything unique
    about it allowing it to be used on single phase.
    When used on 230 single phase,start and run capacitors
    and voltage sensing relay are needed and HP of motor is derated.
    Never seen such a motor, nor can I wrap my head around the concept. Motors need additional windings to be used on either phase. I can't figure where there would be room inside the motor frame for a second set of windings. Wouldn't be very efficient.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the basic question can it run off a add a phase or rotary phase maybe if you have a big enough one which goes back to the feasibility it probably runs on 35 to 40 amps so gonna take 60 amps to start it ! So for a short duration you need a lot of amps
    can you run it dropping one leg probably but your going to be derated!
    Can you add capacitors and etc , etc ,etc , yes maybe but the average guy at home isn’t going to do that the feasibility of it is not there
    Feasibility , reliability and the ability to do some of that restricts the average user
    I also will bring up one point that all of that brings up questions if the insurance man comes and looks things over
    If it was feasible everyone would do it because there are a lot of those old motor Generators around they wouldn’t be going to the junkyard
    My point is we shouldn’t be telling people it can be done if you don’t have one sitting in your shop working telling somebody who is new at this that it can be done in theory isn’t the best practice .

Post Thanks / Like

It just how motors work.
    Most do not know single phase capacitor start and or run motors are 2 phase motors.
    The capacitor shifts the phase.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    Well I am not an expert but I am guessing that you have done this and it works so good luck

Post Thanks / Like

As a hobby its fine, if you wanna weld get away from the junk and get a modern machine plugs in to a common outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    It just how motors work.
    Most do not know single phase capacitor start and or run motors are 2 phase motors.
    The capacitor shifts the phase.

Dave
    I think you are a little confused. The start winding is very different in induction from the run. It is this fact cures the indecision of which direction to turn. The large induction pulls voltage timing out of alignment with current peak. Energy is wasted in the form of extra heat. Each capacitor serves the same purpose, correcting the timing so voltage & current peak simultaneously. Start winding for torque, run winding for efficiency & motor life.

Post Thanks / Like

You using the capacitors to shift the phase. The start capacitor is only for starting. The oil capacitor is for running to keep power up.
    Using capacitors is about 99% efficient and if all you have single phase it works great.

If you three phase use it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I think you are a little confused. The start winding is very different in induction from the run. It is this fact cures the indecision of which direction to turn. The large induction pulls voltage timing out of alignment with current peak. Energy is wasted in the form of extra heat. Each capacitor serves the same purpose, correcting the timing so voltage & current peak simultaneously. Start winding for torque, run winding for efficiency & motor life.

Post Thanks / Like

You using the capacitors to shift the phase. The start capacitor is only for starting. The oil capacitor is for running to keep power up.
    Using capacitors is about 99% efficient and if all you have single phase it works great.

Dave
    Thank you. I will go on using three phase motors on three phase power sources, or in special circumstances, I'll use a phase convertor. In no circumstance will I connect a three phase motor doing a job to a single phase power source.

I commend you for having a secret I never learned in 53 years in the trade. I sure wish you would share your secret.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked while I was at the shop today I have a old Airco { Hornet I think } motor generator it takes 32 amps to run it so 50 amps to start it and it runs at 3500 rpm so like sberry said earlier maybe for a hobby guy the biggest problem with the motor generator is they are very noisy and they only have one purpose and that is to stick weld and they are great to air arc with

Post Thanks / Like

Dave
    I have not been able to achieve this efficiency with capacitors. No where close. But it does work

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It is book numbers.
    Motors are about 90 to 96% efficiency at full load.
    Transforms are about 94 to 98% efficiency at full load

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by neilkingent View Post
    I have not been able to achieve this efficiency with capacitors. No where close. But it does work

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I built a 10HP rotory phase converter a long time ago and its not very good, it has a capacitor start
    , you switch it on and hold down a button until the 10hp idol motor is at speed, I was running a 2.2KW motor but it would bog down and stall some times.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  233C3A94-F3F3-41EA-A42C-9D854B871506.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  84.0 KB
    Here’s one configuration I found yesterday for running a
    three phase motor on single phase. No capacitors on this
    one.
    Not exactly sure how that start relay works. I’m thinking
    it closes on high current, making the two “U” windings
    only for starting. It must be considerably less efficient
    than running it on three phase. I know HP is derated
    for single phase.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

All this is ok as a hobby but why would a guy want all this junk if he didnt have to? ha

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with sberry why does everyone want to reinvent the welding machine ?
    All of you that have never run a motor generator go run one somewhere before you gobble up a bunch of junk for something that might not work anyway ! Go buy a welder you can plug into the wall and use

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    I agree with sberry why does everyone want to reinvent the welding machine ?
    All of you that have never run a motor generator go run one somewhere before you gobble up a bunch of junk for something that might not work anyway ! Go buy a welder you can plug into the wall and use
    They should have to listen to one howl too. I've been in a shop with a couple of SAE 400's and they were more than loud.

Post Thanks / Like

I collect old tools, have set up a vintage blacksmith shop
    Attached Images Attached Images  

20. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The older and more odd the stuff is the better
    Attached Images Attached Images  

22. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Should have said,,, I collect old equipment,,, that I can understand. Most threads about rescuing some old pos start out,,, is this a good machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone stressed to me they are good, its like a locally made Ac arc welder with its wooden transformer frame, I thought it would be horrible but it welds really well

Post Thanks / Like

Those old "bullet" welders run beautifully, I've used them before. Also an older Hobart 600 amp torpedo. Both machines were loud, much like the turbine whine of an airplane spooling up. I would take one if it was very cheap or even free, but I sure don't have the power to run it. Never seen one that would run on less than 50A of 3-phase. Instead I do have a lathe and the know-how... to hook it up to an engine. It would probably be quieter, and give another 50+ years of fantastically smooth DC. IRC Lincoln was marketing theirs at high-end TIG shops back in "the day".
    Use a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    They should have to listen to one howl too. I've be.
    especially when u had much too drink the night before. my 250 is quiter than most, i havent had the power to run it in ages. some are noisier than others, maybe bearings or something arent as tight anymore
    Last edited by 123weld; 07-02-2022 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SOHC View Post
    I collect old tools, have set up a vintage blacksmith shop
    That looks the same as Lis2323 has.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist