+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powered Trucks

Post Thanks / Like

Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powered Trucks

Interesting stuff I guess, this fuel cell thing. The hydrogen isn't produced by a carbon neutral process though. Unless you use wind electric for good ol' fashioned electrolysis. Seems to me it's the same ol' boondoggle. Like electric cars...........gotta make the electricity to run them........where we gonna get all that electricity? Mostly burning fossil fuels in the near term. So............with this new hydrogen thing.........where we gonna get all that hydrogen??

https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcell...en-fuel-basics

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powered Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Interesting stuff I guess, this fuel cell thing. The hydrogen isn't produced by a carbon neutral process though. Unless you use wind electric for good ol' fashioned electrolysis. Seems to me it's the same ol' boondoggle. Like electric cars...........gotta make the electricity to run them........where we gonna get all that electricity? Mostly burning fossil fuels in the near term. So............with this new hydrogen thing.........where we gonna get all that hydrogen??

https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcell...en-fuel-basics
    I made hydrogen from electric long time ago... takes a *lot* of power to make enough to run a good sized engine at power too...

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the fuel cell makes electricity which runs motors on each drive wheel, like a locomotive.

https://www.cummins.com/news/release...north-american (I believe this is an all electric drivetrain, but not sure)

https://nikolamotor.com/two (this one is entirely electric drivetrain)

Post Thanks / Like

There's ample hydrogen already being produced that is being used to clean sulfur from fuel.

US refineries use 1.33 billion scf of hydrogen each day to remove sulfur compounds from gasoline, diesel fuel and other products.

The only thing holding back hydrogen fuel usage directly is the lack of fuel stations to deliver it.

Post Thanks / Like

This assumes BEST CASE SCENARIO WHERE THE ENTIRE PROCESS USES RENEWABLE ELECTRIC SOURCES. Otherwise........the stinkin' hydrogen production creates CO2.................THE VERY GREENHOUSE GAS THE HYDROGEN IS SUPPOSED TO ELIMINATE. It's all BS.

Post Thanks / Like

Gives ya an idea of where "clean" electricity comes from. More BS they're trying to shove down our throats.

Name:  _46063315_uk_elec_gen_pie_466.gif
Views: 263
Size:  13.6 KB

Lotta fossil fuel being burned to make that "clean" electricity

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  220px-California_Electricity_Generation_Sources_Pie_Chart.svg.png
Views: 265
Size:  20.9 KB California at the time this chart was made..............huge amount of natural gas for generation.......not very clean

Post Thanks / Like

So..........now we gonna need more lectricity, and more hydrogeen IN ADDITION TO WHAT WE ALREADY CONSUME FROM THE GRID. Think that might increase greenhouse gas production??

Post Thanks / Like

The video seems to miss some key points. Hydrogen is already being produced to clean fuel and could be used directly instead. The battery life/disposal problems are not addressed. The battery system relies on the electric grid which is enormously inefficient and likely can't handle the load of electric cars as the norm. The batteries can go completely dead just sitting around.

Post Thanks / Like

I have high hopes for ducted fuel injection, so does Ford and Caterpillar https://www.machinedesign.com/mechan...diesel-engines
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

11. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Always wondered why nuclear power couldn't be used to make hydrogen. Lots of ways to power vehicles, trick is to make the energy source portable. Hydrogen can be compressed, but there are hazards.

Really puzzled as to why nuclear has dropped out of the mix, as its renewable to a large degree if the rods are reprocessed. My understanding is that France uses significant nuclear power and reprocesses the fuel to bring waste to a very minimal level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_veloper View Post
    There's ample hydrogen already being produced that is being used to clean sulfur from fuel.

US refineries use 1.33 billion scf of hydrogen each day to remove sulfur compounds from gasoline, diesel fuel and other products.

The only thing holding back hydrogen fuel usage directly is the lack of fuel stations to deliver it.
    You forgot about ways to store it and have you seen the tanks needed for a decent range vehicle!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
    Always wondered why nuclear power couldn't be used to make hydrogen. Lots of ways to power vehicles, trick is to make the energy source portable. Hydrogen can be compressed, but there are hazards.

Really puzzled as to why nuclear has dropped out of the mix, as its renewable to a large degree if the rods are reprocessed. My understanding is that France uses significant nuclear power and reprocesses the fuel to bring waste to a very minimal level.
    I think it was last week the president signed a some stuff to make nuclear more viable again... there was so much legislation passed back in the day it made more nuclear plants completely nonviable.

Post Thanks / Like

Just follow the money and that will tell you when hydrogen will be economically feasible.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

16. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Just follow the money and that will tell you when hydrogen will be economically feasible.
    Mike
    LOL!!!! ain't that the truth just like solar - without the kickback/govt subsidies most solar would never be used.

18. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

nuclear is a viable alternative but the public's perception and powers to be are concerned with disasters in the making. fuku and tchernobyl come to mind.
    little to no investments have been made in this tech in over 30 years thus limiting the safety perception.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I think it was last week the president signed a some stuff to make nuclear more viable again... there was so much legislation passed back in the day it made more nuclear plants completely nonviable.
    There were at least 4 new nukes ready to break ground when the Japan Fukashema nuke plant incedent happened. They were all canciled within a few months. I have not heard of any getting approval since.

Natural gas has taken over the fuel for the coal fired plants because the USA has been getting so much out of the ground that the price is cheap. When the export terminals are all on line and the price for natural gas goes up because of global demand these same plants will be looking hard at coal again. The coal plants have always had natural gas as a backup fuel. I know of several that have taken their coal feeder right out . They will be back sooner or latter.
    Last edited by thegary; 06-18-2020 at 05:51 PM.

21. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist