+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would it be beneficial?

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be beneficial?

I’ve been welding on my own for about 10 months. I’ve done stick, flux core, and have a machine that is multi-process, and will do aluminum, tig, stick, mig,etc. I got a mailing from our local technical college, and it is offering a course for what I think is a reasonable price…do you think it would be highly advantageous to take it, or just mildly beneficial? They do offer some certifications connected to this program, but I’m beginning my welding near retirement, and probably would only do some repairs and light fabrication as a side hustle, and not sure if certification would help?

Would love to hear your perspective, especially if you do welding/fabrication for a living.

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be beneficial?

If you can swing it within your work schedule, why not.

The more you learn the better.
    It's good that you have been welding for a while... because you can decipher what works for you and what doesn't....

In other words, there is a lot of personal opinion that goes into some educators. It's either their way or the highway.

I say go for it and learn all you can.

Actually the neighbor kid when I was growing up after high school took a night course at a technical school.
    He ended getting a union job and the rest is history.

Best of luck.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would it be beneficial?

Certifications do help get more jobs in new construction .
    Remember you can cert without any school it is just test to see it you are a good welder.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by metalmelter2021 View Post
    I’ve been welding on my own for about 10 months. I’ve done stick, flux core, and have a machine that is multi-process, and will do aluminum, tig, stick, mig,etc. I got a mailing from our local technical college, and it is offering a course for what I think is a reasonable price…do you think it would be highly advantageous to take it, or just mildly beneficial? They do offer some certifications connected to this program, but I’m beginning my welding near retirement, and probably would only do some repairs and light fabrication as a side hustle, and not sure if certification would help?

Would love to hear your perspective, especially if you do welding/fabrication for a living.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 07-02-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You won't get any usable "certifications" from a technical school night course.

But like I said, you will gain knowledge.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.
    It test given by by a state or a company licensed by state for cert in construction.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    You won't get any usable "certifications" from a technical school night course.

But like I said, you will gain knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely you will get much more than the cost of tuition in material and consumables.

I took a similar course when I started and helped correct/avoid bad habits from self taught.

I highly recommend you spend the time and money. My 74 year old friend just finished auditing a 5 month class and he has made great progress in his welding proficiency.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

7. Likes NotaVegetarian, shortarc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    I took a similar course when I started and helped correct/avoid bad habits from self taught.
    yes, u beat me too it (good answer). fotunately, i took classes first. but, from what ive seen in the field w/ guys who been taught by there coworkers/self, makes me thankful i did it in right order.
    also we now got a handful of screeenames about "melting metals" or very simlar w/ digits. its starting to get confused on remebering whos who, for me anyway
    Last edited by 123weld; 07-02-2022 at 09:23 PM.

9. Likes wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A school does help if you need a school.
    All data you get from schools are in books 📚.
    But you do need to to get educated on welding and most get from schools 🏫.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    Most likely you will get much more than the cost of tuition in material and consumables.

I highly recommend you spend the time and money. My 74 year old friend just finished auditing a 5 month class and he has made great progress in his welding proficiency.

Post Thanks / Like

Post your location and there maybe a member near you that can help you out too.

If there is a course in progress, go and check it out and see what it's like. Maybe ask those there what they thought or ask for names for past students that took the course.

I think it would depend on what the class actually consists of. Is it one specific process being taught ? A basic beginner's introduction into welding ? Fabrication and build ? There's more to welding than sticking two pieces of metal together. Tacking alone is important in learning how the weld can pull material. It depends on how much you know now and if the class can be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    we now got a handful of screeenames about "melting metals" or very similar w/ digits. its starting to get confused on remebering whos who, for me anyway
    Well, my "nom de plume" stems not only from what welding I do and have done but also from 40+ years in the foundry. I've got some used foundry equipment, pig iron and alloys for sale if anyone is in need.
    ---Meltedmetal

13. Likes 123weld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think most people who aren't already full-time/professional welders can learn from a class like the one you're describing. In many cases you'll have some flexibility to focus on different processes or particular skills that need to be developed. Having someone experienced on hand to look over your shoulder, or give you a one minute demo in person can save a lot of time in the long run.

If nothing else, it forces people to practice rather than just work on the next project, and that can be really valuable.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

15. Likes wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bart almost word for word.
    Every once in a while a real self trained guy slides thru with the 6013 gang. Got one neighbor knows more than most people do about this kind of thing but I saw a hitch install he did all out of position and it looked good, wouldnt have a problem paying for that.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-03-2022 at 02:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The course has two options: 1. Industrial Maintenance Welding. 2. Mig & Tig welding. 15 weeks for 3 hours per week. While I don’t think I’m gonna try to get a job in industrial maintenance, I do see myself trying to do small fabrications, trailer repairs/mods and some light duty repairs. I don’t think I would try to do any heavy equipment maintenance, but who knows what may present itself for a good opportunity!

Guys, I just want to say how much I appreciate you all chiming in on this! Tomorrow being the 4th holiday, I think I am going to call and register on Tuesday morning. I just got the brochure on Friday, so I hope the slots are not filled yet. I have a spool gun, and my Miller 215 will weld aluminum, but I haven’t purchased a mig setup as of yet. Not sure if that would be a direction I would want to go in, but I do realize thin metals do better with TIG, but can be done with MIG. Advice on go for MIG?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I’m confused. Isn’t your Miller 215 a multiprocessor machine that does Mig ? Why are you asking about what Mig to buy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Sorry I’m confused. Isn’t your Miller 215 a multiprocessor machine that does Mig ? Why are you asking about what Mig to buy?

. My 215 is Multi-proceess. I don’t have a TIG torch & petal, but do have the MIG torch setup, and also a spool gun to use if I want to do aluminum. I was just wondering if I should learn TIG, as my 215 can be equiped with a TIG setup. Not a cheap option to purchase new, but I’d be willing to get one if I thought I’d be using it enough to justify the extra expense, especially since the MIG/TIG course is being offered, and I could learn the process, then decide if I want to go in that direction. I re-read my last post…I meant to say I haven’t gotten the TIG….I have the MIG.

Post Thanks / Like

. My 215 is Multi-proceess. I don’t have a TIG torch & petal, but do have the MIG torch setup, and also a spool gun to use if I want to do aluminum. I was just wondering if I should learn TIG, as my 215 can be equiped with a TIG setup. Not a cheap option to purchase new, but I’d be willing to get one if I thought I’d be using it enough to justify the extra expense, especially since the MIG/TIG course is being offered, and I could learn the process, then decide if I want to go in that direction. I re-read my last post…I meant to say I haven’t gotten the TIG….I have the MIG.
    Lol. Okay that makes sense. Others will know better, but I’m guessing the Tig “setup” from Miller is way more money than you just purchasing a torch and consumables.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I get for trying to type and make sense while watching the Nascar race! Typos and incoherant thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd probably opt for the industrial maintenance welding course. If you learn that stuff it will apply to any welding you will do later. If you like the class you can always take the MIG/TIG one next semester/year I would imagine.

MIG and TIG are fairly easy for most people to pick up if they're comfortable with stick, so you have an advantage from the outset.

Something to consider about TIG is that the Multimatic 215 only does DC TIG so you won't be able to weld aluminum. Someone will likely come along to argue that it is possible to TIG weld aluminum on DC, but that's a very specialized practice that simply isn't practical for what almost any hobby welder does.

For the price of the Miller TIG kit you could buy a Primeweld 225X which is AC/DC TIG with pretty much all the standard options you'll find on any good inverter TIG welder these days. It will be far more capable than the TIG kit on the MM215 and it's really handy to have both TIG and MIG machines ready to go at the same time. I frequently tack weld with TIG because it's so precise, clean and easy to see, then do the actual welding with MIG since it's faster. If it needs to be ultra strong I'll tack with TIG and then stick weld if I'm not willing to TIG the entire project. Just a thought...

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting observations, Bart. I already have the PrimeWeld Cut 60 plasma cutter, so I am familiar with the quality of the Primeweld line. When I call to register, I’m going to ask them to give me a rundown of what each course entails.

24. Likes G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing about school salesman is that great on selling there school.

I would look to state testing first.
    See cost if a low then just take test.
    It is low in cost compared to payment for a student load for life.

Dave

Interesting observations, Bart. I already have the PrimeWeld Cut 60 plasma cutter, so I am familiar with the quality of the Primeweld line. When I call to register, I’m going to ask them to give me a rundown of what each course entails.

Post Thanks / Like

Slight thread drift....do you like the Cut 60? I've been looking at different plasma cutters for a while and I've been leaning towards the Cut 60.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Slight thread drift....do you like the Cut 60? I've been looking at different plasma cutters for a while and I've been leaning towards the Cut 60.
    Yes, I like it very much. I did a lot of reading, researching, etc on a number of available models, and this one has a great torch, both drag tips are available, and standard tips used with the standoff ring the torch comes with. Lots of power at 60 amp, and easy to use. Cut quality is very good, and if one gets it dialed in, I heard that there are guys who cut 1” plate cleanly, and best of all, customer support from Primeweld is second to none. It has very high ratings from owners, so that fact and Primeweld’s customer support convinced me to go with that unit over some others on the market.

I have not cut anything beyond 3/8” thick so far, but angle, flat bar, plate, and square tube have not been a problem. It has pilot arc, and just works so well. Any issues you experience, Primeweld will walk you thru, or replace the unit. Also it comes with the connector to wire up a CNC plasma table. Youtube videos available about that.

28. Likes G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I like it very much. I did a lot of reading, researching, etc on a number of available models, and this one has a great torch, both drag tips are available, and standard tips used with the standoff ring the torch comes with. Lots of power at 60 amp, and easy to use. Cut quality is very good, and if one gets it dialed in, I heard that there are guys who cut 1” plate cleanly, and best of all, customer support from Primeweld is second to none. It has very high ratings from owners, so that fact and Primeweld’s customer support convinced me to go with that unit over some others on the market.

I have not cut anything beyond 3/8” thick so far, but angle, flat bar, plate, and square tube have not been a problem. It has pilot arc, and just works so well. Any issues you experience, Primeweld will walk you thru, or replace the unit. Also it comes with the connector to wire up a CNC plasma table. Youtube videos available about that.
    Nice! That backs up what I've found so far and I have a couple of friends who have Primeweld TIGs who are similarly happy, so I think that seals the deal for me.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

30. Likes metalmelter2021 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The course has two options: 1. Industrial Maintenance Welding. 2. Mig & Tig welding.
    I'm in industrial facilities with my company. What does industrial maintenance welding involve? Because from where I see, that means learn to weld over rust, extremely contaminated stuff, and just hold enough to keep running for the remainder of your shift.

I've taken a lot of courses in school including electrical and designing. Night classes are great because the teacher normally does it for the good of the students and you can ask them questions a normal teacher may not care about.

Post Thanks / Like

Skip the tig crap, let your buds own all that stuff, like a boat. If you want to really learn this, sticks then a wire feed for home and hobby.

33. Likes NotaVegetarian liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist