+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen Propane Torch Cart

Post Thanks / Like

Oxygen Propane Torch Cart

I couldn't find a cart to suite how I wanted my oxygen / propane torch setup to be. So I'm making one.

Uprights are 1-1/2 square tube, 1/8" wall thickness. Cross pieces are 1-1/2" square tube, 14? ga thickness. Handle across the top is 1-1/2" schedule 40 pipe. The diagonal kickers are 1/4".
    Name:  20211010_070529.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  102.0 KB

Panel is 14 ga. And hose reel is 14 ga. I bent two C shaped pieces in my press brake. The round holes will eventually hold bottles for holding tips and little parts. The area in the middle is for random stuff.
    Name:  20211010_081409.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  135.7 KB

Name:  20211010_081420.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  118.9 KB

I am planning on putting some spring clips to hold the torch on the side. And some spring clips on the back to hold the other cutting head or the rosebud head. And some clips for holding the lines so they can't get pulled too tightly from the regulators. I need to find a right angle adapter that goes between the regulator and the oxygen hose.

Wheels are currently 10" solid rubber with integral 3/4" bearings. From McMaster-Carr, so hopefully decent quality. I cut the axle bracket so it can accommodate 10, 12, or 14" wheels. Generally I work in the shop with a pretty clean concrete floor. I also have some gussets with "speed holes" that I can throw shackles in a put a sling on the cart for overhead lifting.

I am thinking of doing e-track fittings on both uprights so I can use an e-track ratchet strap for securing the bottles well. I never like the sloppy chains.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oxygen Propane Torch Cart

Nice. Do you think you will ever upsize propane tanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Nice. Do you think you will ever upsize propane tanks.
    Not on this cart!

I have a whole bunch of these tanks that were used with construction heaters. And at some point I could probably set up to fill them off of our 1000 gallon tank.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite feature of my OXY-XXX cart is an 50CAL ammo box attached to the back of the cart,,
    The ammo box will hold virtually everything I need space for,, from an ignitor to the often misplaced oxy bottle screw on cap,, and even goggles.

Many tips will fit in that box, they are about the size of a 50CAL!! LOL!!

5. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you like the OxyPropane rig? I've been thinking about going that route since I have the propane tanks for the forge, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I could use the 20# tanks or put a splitter on my 100# tank so I can run gas to the forge and still use the torch when I needed. At least, i think that would work. I'd hate to have to pull off the regulator and hose from the forge just to plug in the torch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I'd hate to have to pull off the regulator and hose from the forge just to plug in the torch.

I would imagine a second regulator would cost less than 1/3 of the cost of the steel to build the cart,,
    EVERY regulator I have looked at in the past year was surprisingly inexpensive,,, I just looked on Amazon,, about $30 delivered,,

Post Thanks / Like

This is a close up of how I attach small propane bottles to a cart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

9. Likes VaughnT, SweetMK, farmersammm, PDXsparky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    How do you like the OxyPropane rig?
    I'm not a torch guy, so I don't think my opinion counts. I use the rosebud for dealing with stuck pins and straightening bent stuff. I've only cut about 10ft of steel with a torch in my whole life. I just went with propane because I have lots of tanks and can get them filled easily.

11. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I machined an axle. 1" round stepped down to 3/4" for the wheels. Cut snap ring grooves to locate it on the cart and to hold the wheels on.
    Name:  20211013_180020.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  57.3 KB

Had a plate laser cut for different axle locations and wheel sizes. I have 10" wheels on it. This plate in this location would allow 10" front and back, 12" in middle, or 14" in front or back. I wasn't sure where the cart would feel good from a balance perspective. I haven't designed a hand cart before. I noticed that my Greenlee wire rack cart has the axle right in the frame. And it tips over a lot. And every hand truck I have ever seen has the axle set a ways back.
    Name:  20211013_181509.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  74.8 KB

Initial guess was good. Cart rolls nice and seems nice and stable.
    Name:  20211013_181728.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  121.4 KB

The cart is just tacked together. And I feel like I could tie it on to the back of my pickup truck and drag it up and down my half mile driveway without breaking it. But yet I will still spend another hour finish welding it for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks Good !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post

The cart is just tacked together. And I feel like I could tie it on to the back of my pickup truck and drag it up and down my half mile driveway without breaking it. But yet I will still spend another hour finish welding it for some reason.
    Because it is fun! I have been following this as I am planning to do the same thing in a bit, once I get finished with my Sweepster rebuild & mod. I went with oxy/propane because it is easier to deal with and cheaper than acetylene and I was starting from scratch either way. Plus I have an extra grill tank now... Your design is very similar to what I have drawn out, though I should do something more like the hose hanger you did.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

I made a similar one, by cutting the fixed-caster end off an existing cart and using it for oxy-propane. The donor cart got swivel casters. In the middle here, with the donor on the right:

16. Likes SweetMK, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a great idea. I'm new here and looking for ideas so thanks for posting this! I have a lot of work to do lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to hijack the thread - but do you all like the Propane/Oxy setup pretty well compared to an Oxy/Acetylene one?

I want to get a setup soon and have been reading up on all the options, good and bad, shortages, capabilities, etc. I would just be heating to bend/shape steel and a little bit of cutting (1/2" or less). The propane appeals to me, as like the OP - I have a few propane bottles and it would be immensely easier to use it than anything else. Just looking for opinions. Sorry if I'm out of line @kb0thn if this inappropriate.

Cart look fantastic. I always appreciate folks posting their projects - saves me from a bunch of mistakes whenever I start something new.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

I have both propane and acetylene on my cart and 2 torch s both hooked up to the oxygen with a y fitting.
    Most of my cutting and heating is done with the propane.
    When I started using propane I didn't know that there was a specific tip for it.
    It's harder to light without the proper tip but is doable and still cuts well.
    Honestly most most people I use propane

20. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not have decent cutting torch skills so I cannot compare the two very well. Did OA cutting in a class I took but was not good at it. Got Propane/oxy for home as it made more sense for reasons noted above. I can cut with it or heat with it, and still not good at it. I wouldn't bother trying gas welding as it makes no sense for me, so no loss there. I can do TIG/MIG/stick with my XMT304 setup and haven't even done stick in years now, so no need for gas welding. It would be nice to get some instruction from someone good at Oxy/Propane cutting, but I manage to get by OK for hobby stuff. I just plan on lots o' clean up afterwards...
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

22. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What little cutting I've done with Propane was satisfactory. The preheat is slower than Acetylene, but that's about it IIRC.

24. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Added some clips to hold the different torch heads(?). And a clip on the side so the torch can be stowed on the side if desired.
    Name:  20211017_052226.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  85.1 KB

I am using an e-track strap to secure the tanks. I never like chains. They don't get tight so the tanks are always bouncing around.
    Name:  20211017_064344.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  94.4 KB

I thought about buying single e-track slots and welding or bolting them on. But they were too big to go where I needed them. So I use a 3" cutoff wheel in a right angle grinder to make two parallel 2.5" long about 9/16" apart. Then used the plasma cutter to slice between the lines. Then some filing to clean up.
    Name:  20211017_061455.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  114.6 KB

Perfect fit for the e-track fitting. I'm pretty pleased with how easy this was. It took less than 10 minutes to do. I am used to just designing stuff in CAD and having the laser cut parts out. And then tubes and structural stuff comes off the CNC bandsaw perfectly to length. I have the machines for our production items and in support of my CNC machine shop, so I use them. It's my flow. But I don't do a lot of free hand cutting. So I spent a while trying to figure out how to do this and then was pleasantly surprised it was easier to do than to think about.
    Name:  20211017_061440.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  116.3 KB

26. Likes _Weldman_, Shootr, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a great weldor. I only weld for a few hours per month. I have employees that do my welding. But I seldom dip my tungsten. So I was really annoyed when I got the green ball of glow and eruption of soot where I was welding the mild steel to the 304 stainless handle. Figured I accidentally dipped it. So I ground down the tungsten, cleaned up the area, and got the same damn thing.

Name:  20211017_081607.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  76.4 KB

Turns out I ran out of shielding gas with 1/4" of weld left to do. On a weekend.

Oh well, got another tank of argon and got it finished up. Cart is off for sand blasting and powder coating now.

28. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work!

I like your simplified E-track solution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work! Reason they put the wheels where they do on most hand trucks/dolly's is for leverage to move objects not act like a stand to hold them forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking project,,
    one idea,,
    put the torch handle in the clip on the side of the cart,, with the opening facing down.
    That way, grinding dust, sawdust,, etc,, will not accumulate inside the torch handle.

Post Thanks / Like

An onboard tool box is always handy ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

33. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Great looking project,,
    one idea,,
    put the torch handle in the clip on the side of the cart,, with the opening facing down.
    That way, grinding dust, sawdust,, etc,, will not accumulate inside the torch handle.
    I always just leave the head on the torch handle. I just had both clipped onto the back of the cart to show that both fit there. So the side clip / holder is for holding the torch when lit or if I don't want it hanging down sloppily.

I'm really particular about getting dust into things. I have the brass dust caps that I put on regulators when they aren't connected to a tank. The tips will be stored in sealed bottles (the three white round things in the photos).

Post Thanks / Like

Got the cart back from sandblast and powder coat.
    Name:  20211021_173817.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  20211021_173847.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  95.9 KB

36. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist