+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running 7018

Post Thanks / Like

Running 7018

Started on 7018s yesterday in school. Machine was a Miller XMT 304. We did flat and horizontal.
    Flat at about 125A:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  104.9 KB

Horizontal. Started at 120A then down to 115A:
Views: 796
Size:  78.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Running 7018

WOW! Those look great!
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

So are you asking our opinion or showing off?

Seriously, they look really good to me.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc TM 300 300
    MM 200
    MM 251

30a Spoolgun
    Precision Tig 375
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

Post Thanks / Like

I agree not bad at all.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Are those the instructors?
    Nothing Ever Got Done By Quitting, Never Give Up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments! It was the first time I'd run 7018s. The flat was actually the 2nd layer on the bead pad but I got the amps dialed in along with travel speed and was rewarded with that easy peeling slag after the first 5 or 6 beads on the first layer. The horizontal side was the first go. I was using 1/8 Hobart rods and today played around with 3/32 Lincoln Excalibur.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 08JKdrvr View Post
    It was the first time I'd run 7018s.
    Welp, I think you found your calling in life!
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Welp, I think you found your calling in life!
    I hope so. Hence why I'm going through the school.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope so. Hence why I'm going through the school.
    I’ve helped a lot of guys get a jump start on welding. You’re one of the best I’ve ever seen, who is just starting out.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

I think you got CEP's attention. You might want to frame his comments!! He doesn't pass that kind out very often.

Great stringers, there. You have talent, that's for sure. Wish I could run beads like that!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the compliments, I appreciate it. We start doing verticle and overhead today so we'll see how I do on those. I hated verticle 6010.

CEP, hopefully I'll be able to carry it on to when we move to T joints and then to our open butt V groove plate tests. I think its because I want this so bad that I'm really paying attention to our instructors and just doing the best I can. Plus it helps to have a nice machine like that XMT 304.

Post Thanks / Like

CEP, hopefully I'll be able to carry it on to when we move to T joints and then to our open butt V groove plate tests. I think its because I want this so bad that I'm really paying attention to our instructors and just doing the best I can. Plus it helps to have a nice machine like that XMT 304.
    I don’t see you having any problems at all. Vertical up hill with 7018 may slow you up for a bit. If you really think about it, over head welding is the same as flat welding. Once you get passed the “I’m gonna get burned”. Well guess what? You’re playing with fire, you’re gonna get burned.

Look at it this way, it's all about the money! Everything you learn just makes you more valuable to an employer. The flip side to that is. The better you are, and the more you’re in demand, the more independent you can be. Back in my hay day, I quit 13 jobs one year. 3 in one week, and never missed a day. I could quit a job, and get 2 on the way home.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the compliments, I appreciate it. We start doing verticle and overhead today so we'll see how I do on those. I hated verticle 6010.

I think you are doing well because you started to understand the puddle when you were doing 6010 vertical. If you have already done 6010 at least thru vertical, you aren't exactly "new" to stick. I find most students begin to read and understand the puddle when they get to vertical no matter what the rod or process.

Interesting they took you all the way thru 6010, then moved to 7018. A lot of places like to do say all flat joints 1st, running 6010, 7014/6013 and then 7018, before moving on to horizontal.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

DSW,
    We started with 6010 flat, horizontal, verticle and overhead. We did a visual bead pad test after each position to AWS visual standards (I manged to get an A on each) before we could move to the next position. Once we were done with all those then we started 7018 and will do the same bead pad tests for it as well. After, go to T joints, lap joints, and open butt tests in all positions. I think our instructors want us to get good with the two most used rods (I think) in the industry and also because of the short schedule before the Christmas break.
    Reading the puddle was the first thing to learn doing 6010 flat. Took a few beads but I eventually got it and stopped looking at the arc.

CEP,
    I hear you and have acceptd that burns are gonna happen. I'm pretty comfortable with overhead. I learned to position myself enough to not get burned too bad. And you're right. It is about the money. I don't know what kind of job I'll get doing this but its what I want to do. Right now I'm sitting in the top 5 of my class and need to continue that. The instructors will recommend us to employers and the better I can do, the better paying job I can test for and potentially get. The other thing we get taught is some classroom stuff too. We just finished up basic metallurgy and will start print reading and weld symbols next week. I'm actually looking forward to that one.

We didn't get to verticle today like I had hoped but what amp setting would you guys recommend for 1/8 Lincoln Excalibur on verticle?

Gratuitous peeling slag shot:
Views: 591
Size:  52.6 KB
    Last edited by 08JKdrvr; 10-28-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes being in the top of your class matters, I know that it is annoying to hear that. I graduated from my AP school (aircraft maintenance) number 1 in my class and I had a job the day after I graduated without even having my license yet! Ultimately it will not matter 2 or 3 years down the road, but it will still help. At that point it will be more about your work experience and references/reputation

Post Thanks / Like

DSW,
    We started with 6010 flat, horizontal, verticle and overhead. We did a visual bead pad test after each position to AWS visual standards (I manged to get an A on each) before we could move to the next position. Once we were done with all those then we started 7018 and will do the same bead pad tests for it as well. After, go to T joints, lap joints, and open butt tests in all positions. I think our instructors want us to get good with the two most used rods (I think) in the industry and also because of the short schedule before the Christmas break.
    Reading the puddle was the first thing to learn doing 6010 flat. Took a few beads but I eventually got it and stopped looking at the arc.

CEP,
    I hear you and have acceptd that burns are gonna happen. I'm pretty comfortable with overhead. I learned to position myself enough to not get burned too bad. And you're right. It is about the money. I don't know what kind of job I'll get doing this but its what I want to do. Right now I'm sitting in the top 5 of my class and need to continue that. The instructors will recommend us to employers and the better I can do, the better paying job I can test for and potentially get. The other thing we get taught is some classroom stuff too. We just finished up basic metallurgy and will start print reading and weld symbols next week. I'm actually looking forward to that one.

We didn't get to verticle today like I had hoped but what amp setting would you guys recommend for 1/8 Lincoln Excalibur on verticle?

Gratuitous peeling slag shot:
Views: 591
Size:  52.6 KB
    From that picture it would appear that the bottom is not tied in to the previous bead 100% Could be rod angle, speed, or amperage or a combination of the 3? My advise FWIW - Slow down and watch the puddle wash into the previous bead to smooth that out. Should look as smooth at the flat when you do.
    For 1/8" vertical, 120 amps would be where I would start, and adjust accordingly
    BTW the flat looks great. One thing that helped me immensely, was our instructor forced us to do at least 1 restart on every stringer we did on our test plates. really helped when we tested as it was second nature, and not a forced awkward thing.
    Keep up the good work - me thinks you're a natural....

Post Thanks / Like

you're right. It is about the money. I don't know what kind of job I'll get doing this but its what I want to do.
    Maybe think about construction. My best friend since the 4th grade is a retired operating engineer local 3, in central California. I was at his place a couple months ago. He was saying he went to a union meeting. The union officials were begging the retired members to come back to work. They had more work than people to fill the jobs. So the contractors were hiring non union people.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weldypants View Post
    One thing that helped me immensely, was our instructor forced us to do at least 1 restart on every stringer we did on our test plates. really helped when we tested as it was second nature, and not a forced awkward thing.
    Thats close to what I've been doing. I'll burn two rods then use the stubs from the two, that are about 5" long, to do the next bead with a restart in the middle of it. It's helped alot with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats close to what I've been doing. I'll burn two rods then use the stubs from the two, that are about 5" long, to do the next bead with a restart in the middle of it. It's helped alot with that.
    Good - stick with it (pardon the pun) You wont regret it!

Post Thanks / Like

Had some time to kill in class before the end of the day so I decided to try running flat right handed (I'm a lefty). I figure it wouldn't hurt to learn. Definitely was different. There was a little undercut on a few of them. This was 1 1/2 layers. The shiny bead is where I stopped on the 2nd layer for the day.
Views: 465
Size:  133.3 KB
    Last edited by 08JKdrvr; 10-29-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I run 115 to 118 for my vertical up, that's with the Excaliburs. One thing to remember is that machines won't necessarily read accurately, so use that to get yourself in the ballpark and adjust accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

An XMT 304 runs 7018 really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes. That XMT is a nice machine. Wish I had the $$$ to buy one myself. The setups we have at the school with the XMT, 22A wire feeder and cart are a little over 5K.

Post Thanks / Like

I have $7,200.00 into this setup. The 100-feet long remote is behind the welder.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Nice setup CEP. I would love to have a rig like that. Maybe one day.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist