+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: FAIL! Collets 101

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FAIL! Collets 1

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    BTW......................tain't cigarette smoke that plugs air filters.
    You keep telling yourself that. We have two dogs in the house and I have never changed a filter that looks like those you pictured. I have changed filters that looked like those, but 99% of them were from bars before they outlawed smoking in them. It’s called tar for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford1 View Post
    You keep telling yourself that. We have two dogs in the house and I have never changed a filter that looks like those you pictured. I have changed filters that looked like those, but 99% of them were from bars before they outlawed smoking in them. It’s called tar for a reason.
    Sorry Sam,
    I think Oxy is right.
    Why don't you and your better half substitute the fags for wild knee tremblin sex or somethin instead?
    More enjoyable and you'll feel better for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    Sorry Sam,
    I think Oxy is right.
    Why don't you and your better half substitute the fags for wild knee tremblin sex or somethin instead?
    More enjoyable and you'll feel better for it.
    “Knee tremblin”. Really??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is 540 rpm correct for that PTO shaft ? Watching to see it come together, still a little confused with zero experience on that equipment. Gotta be an improvement from drunken banana to .005 - .007"
    Last edited by _Dom; 11-29-2021 at 01:25 AM. Reason: rethinking my response
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  rhino102.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  197.5 KB Some days are just like that I guess. Been doin' this for near on a quarter century................first time for everything I guess I've had a stray O2 stream wander before, but not to the point of damaging something beyond use.

You can get this once in a while. The cut stream will sometimes veer off the path you intend. Generally when you're cutting stuff with hollow areas, or with a lot of grease in an enclosed pocket. It can literally veer 45* off course, or worse. But DAMMY GRAMMY...........never had one do this

That was a $75 cut New yoke, and cross. Had to buy the cross anyway, so I guess it's just the cost of the new yoke. And....................it would have to be a Series 14 Tractor supply has the yoke for $67, and the cross kit runs $30. I can get the entire shootin' match offa Ebay for $75. Weasler probably makes the stuff for Rhino

Still ahead of the game I guess. Complete new shaft is about a bazillion dollars from Rhino.............and any aftermarket shaft would have to be reworked to fit the machine. Cheapest aftermarket Series 14 complete shaft runs about $280.

Name:  driveshaft.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  145.3 KB

Well Hell.............checking around as I type. O'reilly has the U joint for $20...............so the Tractor supply yoke (Weasler) is lookin' better by the minute.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford1 View Post
    So.........like...........if we didn't smoke.........the crud would pass through the filter??????????????????? Where's all that dirt, and dog hair gonna go???????? Alternate Universe?

But, now ya got me thinkin'.................maybe if'n we didn't smoke, the dog might not shed (dogs shed profusely in the presence of cigarettes maybe), and the mud would stay out in the yardName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 325
Size:  1.1 KB

I'm hangin' this one on Global Warming Seems to be the catchall for just about everything these days

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  rhino102.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  197.5 KB Some days are just like that I guess. Been doin' this for near on a quarter century................first time for everything I guess I've had a stray O2 stream wander before, but not to the point of damaging something beyond use.

You can get this once in a while. The cut stream will sometimes veer off the path you intend. Generally when you're cutting stuff with hollow areas, or with a lot of grease in an enclosed pocket. It can literally veer 45* off course, or worse. But DAMMY GRAMMY...........never had one do this

That was a $75 cut New yoke, and cross. Had to buy the cross anyway, so I guess it's just the cost of the new yoke. And....................it would have to be a Series 14 Tractor supply has the yoke for $67, and the cross kit runs $30. I can get the entire shootin' match offa Ebay for $75. Weasler probably makes the stuff for Rhino

Still ahead of the game I guess. Complete new shaft is about a bazillion dollars from Rhino.............and any aftermarket shaft would have to be reworked to fit the machine. Cheapest aftermarket Series 14 complete shaft runs about $280.

Name:  driveshaft.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  145.3 KB

Well Hell.............checking around as I type. O'reilly has the U joint for $20...............so the Tractor supply yoke (Weasler) is lookin' better by the minute.
    When we are torching something at work and get into a flange or the material we aren't intending to cut, we just pretend it never happened. Seriously though I know what you mean. Happens quite often from either no room or poor visibility. I often wonder when I'm at work and were working in a cramped area what it would be like had they extended the building another 20 feet or whatever is was originally drawn up for. They didn't do it because it was an extra million or something back in the 60's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IAMsteelworker; 11-29-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    Don't get me wrong there's guys who can burn without ever knowing they was there, but that ain't me and many guys there. I'm sure in 15 10 years I could be that guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IAMsteelworker View Post
    Don't get me wrong there's guys who can burn without ever knowing they was there, but that ain't me and many guys there. I'm sure in 15 10 years I could be that guy.

I'm sure you will be, but that one day when it goes South........obliterates all the good days

Most of the time, I'm just about surgical on this kinda stuff (shrug)

Name:  shaft buildup2-1969.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  134.8 KB

Name:  shaft buildup3-1970.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  131.9 KB

I'm blamin' it on Global Warming!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So.........like...........if we didn't smoke.........the crud would pass through the filter??????????????????? Where's all that dirt, and dog hair gonna go???????? Alternate Universe?

But, now ya got me thinkin'.................maybe if'n we didn't smoke, the dog might not shed (dogs shed profusely in the presence of cigarettes maybe), and the mud would stay out in the yardName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif

I'm hangin' this one on Global Warming Seems to be the catchall for just about everything these days
    The tar from the cigarette smoke binds all the other particles together and blinds the filters faster than the dust/hairs would have on their own.

Being a smart-*** doesn't suit you Sam...
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

sam, heres a better idea. much does a pack of 20 cost you? how many packs in day? start doing your sums and you'll see how much cash you are burning through.

i used to smoke, 40 a week or so, and it was 5 GBP a pack roughly. that was 520 a year i was spending. now they are about double that so thats a lot of much just to burn.

Post Thanks / Like

There are few things as hard on everything they touch as cigarette smoke. Furnace filters, pulmonary systems, walls, windows, curtains, you name it. Everything inside your house is brownish-yellow, but I suppose that’s a coincidence.

Must be a curse, being two orders of magnitude smarter than everyone else and having to live among mere mortals. How’d all that medical drama you were on about turn out, anyway? They probably told you the solution was to smoke a little more when you went back and spent another day in the ER- after all, you can’t be expected to show up on time.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to the city to pick up a new yoke. This is where I discover that the Rhino is equipped with Series 35 yokes, instead of Series 14's, and all they had on hand were 1000rpm yokes in that size The Series 35 is correct for cap-to-cap width, but not for the cap diameter. To add a bit of confusion, there's a Series 35N that's a bit closer to what I have, although I'm not sure 35N isn't just the new designation. Guess it's time to get the mic out, and see just what I have. It's the usual................. For all I know, I might be looking at a metric yoke. Or, an Unobtainium yoke

But, I did get a Carl's Junior.............so it wasn't a total waste

So, now it might be time to either hunt down the right yoke,, or attempt a repair on the old yoke.

I can braze the bore to bring it to spec in the damaged area, then reinforce the outside of the yoke at this area with a builtup weld. I like brazing because it's non destructive. I'm afraid to weld anywhere inside that bore.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally wouldn’t try to build that yoke up. From the pics I would just run it as is unless it’s worse then the pics show. Yes there is a 35n series cross. By the parts list you showed it looks to be a 44 series yoke
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Went to the city to pick up a new yoke. This is where I discover that the Rhino is equipped with Series 35 yokes, instead of Series 14's, and all they had on hand were 1000rpm yokes in that size The Series 35 is correct for cap-to-cap width, but not for the cap diameter. To add a bit of confusion, there's a Series 35N that's a bit closer to what I have, although I'm not sure 35N isn't just the new designation. Guess it's time to get the mic out, and see just what I have. It's the usual................. For all I know, I might be looking at a metric yoke. Or, an Unobtainium yoke

But, I did get a Carl's Junior.............so it wasn't a total waste

So, now it might be time to either hunt down the right yoke,, or attempt a repair on the old yoke.

I can braze the bore to bring it to spec in the damaged area, then reinforce the outside of the yoke at this area with a builtup weld. I like brazing because it's non destructive. I'm afraid to weld anywhere inside that bore.
    Really... how much horsepower does that little mower use? Braze, cleanup with a flap wheel on a die grinder and be done. Oh, no more torching on U-joint caps.

18. Likes whtbaron, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FAIL! Collets 101

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Really... how much horsepower does that little mower use? Braze, cleanup with a flap wheel on a die grinder and be done. Oh, no more torching on U-joint caps.
    Exactly. I've never had the need to torch out a cap completely. Just blow a hole thru the end and let it shrink.

20. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd break a $300 vice before I torched a $70 yoke... it's just the kinda guy I am....
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

22. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cut a cap.........................really???????????????? ?? Cut out the cross, and the caps generally just tap out because of the heat involved cutting the cross.

Post Thanks / Like

About 10 yrs ago we took out a wheel bearing on the back of a John Deere combine. Didn't realize until after I got back from the parts run that the spindle was also damaged. I went slow with the MIG, kept it cool between passes and ground it down until the outside races of the wheel bearings were snug again. It carries a lot more weight and abuse than that U joint and it's still going. Come to think of it, some day I should open it up and see how things are doing....
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

25. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I'd break a $300 vice before I torched a $70 yoke... it's just the kinda guy I am....
    I've never used a vise, If it's real stubborn, I'll torch the cross and drive the caps into the center. Flapwheel the rust out and tap it back together.
    I broke Dad's vise in 1978 and learned a serious lesson...

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used a vise, If it's real stubborn, I'll torch the cross and drive the caps into the center. Flapwheel the rust out and tap it back together.
    I broke Dad's vise in 1978 and learned a serious lesson...
    My son broke the first one under the bench with a big long bar when he was about 15. The RAE was the first one I've broke and I wasn't even twisting on it real hard. I've done dozens of U joints in the 6" Record that came out of a barn fire with no problems.

Hey Sam, it's almost December. Bring that thing over and I'll win the grinder of the year award yet!
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you mess it up

29. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    About 10 yrs ago we took out a wheel bearing on the back of a John Deere combine. Didn't realize until after I got back from the parts run that the spindle was also damaged. I went slow with the MIG, kept it cool between passes and ground it down until the outside races of the wheel bearings were snug again. It carries a lot more weight and abuse than that U joint and it's still going. Come to think of it, some day I should open it up and see how things are doing....
    First lathe job I ever did was a spindle on a Cat scraper on the elevator chain tail roller, built up with wire and turned and finished to fit the hard way with files... we didn't have a lot of fancy measuring stuff at the time. Saved Dad $1200 bucks and made up for the broken vise.

31. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cut a cap.........................really???????????????? ?? Cut out the cross, and the caps generally just tap out because of the heat involved cutting the cross.
    Apparently in your world there is no rust. You've never seen the affects of liquid road brine and ferrous metal. Would have figured that was trying to cut a cap rather than a cross the way that was mutilated.

33. Likes 12V71 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist